Boxing Forums



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Is Oscar in for a beating?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    49,121
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Is Oscar in for a beating?

    www.eastsideboxing.com

    04.05.06 - By Tim Nielson: On Saturday night Ricardo Mayorga (28-5, 23 KO's) defends his WBC light middleweight title over challenger Oscar De La Hoya (37-4, 29 KO's), as the MGM Grand Hotel & Casino, in Las Vegas, Nevada. To b honest, both of these fighters are clearly on the downsides of their careers, especially De La Hoya, who has lost two of his last three fights.. Although, some would say (this author included) that Oscar has lost three fights in a row, considering his gift decision against middleweight Felix Sturm, in June 2004. Whereas, Mayorga, 32,has lost two out of his last four fights and not been overly impressive even in his two winning efforts. With the obvious signs of wear and tear on both fighters, it's a wonder that it was ever considered for PPV. However, I suppose with De La Hoya's huge following, he would be able to fight on PPV whether he's winning his fights are not, since people only seem to remember him in his youth, not his last few years.

    By all accounts, this fight is a setup for De La Hoya, who if he comes out on top, would like to fight one more time on September 16, 2006, against a fighter such as Floyd Mayweather Jr. or Winky Wright. Nevertheless, I have serious doubts whether that dream will ever come to fruition, for Mayorga, a fierce puncher, will be one tough customer for De La Hoya, 32, to deal with in the ring.

    Yes, both fighters are close to the same age, however, Mayorga appears to be the younger fighter and is still quite dangerous in the ring due to his power and unorthodox style of fighting. Just as was the case with De La Hoya looking ahead to Hopkins when he was fighting Sturm, it seems to be a similar circumstance here with Mayorga. I think personally, De La Hoya is making a huge mistake and will probably pay for it by taking another beating.

    You might be wondering, "Why is Oscar coming back after two months of ring inactivity to fight Mayora, since he's so fabulously rich?" To tell you the truth, I have no idea. He clearly doesn't need this fight, so why do it? I could understand it if he was hurting for money but he's clearly not. No, I think the real reason has more to do with cementing his legacy, as he's taken a real hit with his 9th round stoppage loss to Bernard Hopkins in September 2004, as well as a 12-round decision loss to Shame Mosley in September 2003. Clearly, not the way he imagined he would be going out of the ring. However, as much as I respect him for wanting to do this, I don't think it's going to be a success, not against someone as good as Mayorga.

    Indeed, De La Hoya has seemed to be on a downward slide since his loss to his to Felix Trinidad in September 1999. At that time, however, De La Hoya still had most of his skills intact, yet he was beginning to show poor stamina in the later rounds of his fights. Three years later, in 2002, De La Hoya beat Fernando Vargas, who from, my perspective, wasn't the same fighter after having been beaten up and knocked out by Felix Trinidad. Following that loss, De La Hoya, once again, lost to Mosley, this time in 2003. Again, as was the case the last time around, De La Hoya's poor stamina was clearly evident in the later rounds, when Mosley turned the fight around. For an aging fighter, stamina is the first thing to go.

    Quite obviously, this is fight has the potential to be one of the most important in De La Hoya's career, since it's the final piece to his legacy, and it's imperative that he wins. What makes it even more interesting, to me, is that De La Hoya will be doing with much less of his physical skills that he had in the past. In a way, it's comparable to the great Ali, who in his later years, depended a lot on his great ring knowledge to win a lot of fights with younger and stronger opponents.

    With all that said, I don't expect De La Hoya will be able to defeat Mayorga on Saturday night. The Nicaraguan fighter just appears to be the larger and hungrier fighter at this point, and when you add in his power advantage, I see for an ugly outcome for De La Hoya. Look for Mayoraga to win this by 8th round knockout, after having put a severe beating on De La Hoya. Following this fight, I predict that De La Hoya will announce his retirement rather than taking the chance and facing future beatings to younger fighters, such as Mayweather or Wright.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Royal Kunia, Oahu
    Posts
    4,651
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2189
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    I hope so.
    Hidden Content

    Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    49,121
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    me too....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,449
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    891
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    From what I've seen, Mayorga looks ready. Oscar has the skill to win this fight on points relatively easy, but is he conditioned? If not, Mayorga will knock his head off. If this fight becomes a war, I can't see Oscar winning. But, Oscar is dangerous, and if he's mad, this could be fight of the year. However, I don't see Oscar standing with Mayorga. Who knows. This fight has alot of variables. Whos in shape? Will the lay-offs affect either fighter? Does Oscar have any legs left? If Oscar can land to the body early, without getting caught, he will win. Everyone talks about Mayorgas chin, but Oscar has a good one too. Either way, I can't see this being a boring fight.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,794
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1279
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unknowndonor
    From what I've seen, Mayorga looks ready. Oscar has the skill to win this fight on points relatively easy, but is he conditioned? If not, Mayorga will knock his head off. If this fight becomes a war, I can't see Oscar winning. But, Oscar is dangerous, and if he's mad, this could be fight of the year. However, I don't see Oscar standing with Mayorga. Who knows. This fight has alot of variables. Whos in shape? Will the lay-offs affect either fighter? Does Oscar have any legs left? If Oscar can land to the body early, without getting caught, he will win. Everyone talks about Mayorgas chin, but Oscar has a good one too. Either way, I can't see this being a boring fight.
    I agree with ya man, good breakdown. Oscar does have a damn good chin too, I aknwoledge that. I don't know if a Mayorga punch to the chin will stop Oscar, if anything, repeated shots to the temple, and sheer aggreession from Mayorga when Oscar is trying to look for a break will carry him to victory. There are a lot of variables. I am no fool, I know how risky of a fight this is for Mayorga, Oscar can really box, and worst case scenario could be him potshotting and circling Mayorga all night. I am banking on Mayorga's desire coupled with Oscar's lack there of and detererating skills eliminating that possiblity. Let's go MAYORGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4,789
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    Oscar's desire is nothing compared to Mayorga's. Like Lamon Brewster said, the one keeping you from the land of milk and honey was Golata for him... its De La Hoya for Mayorga.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,794
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1279
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Oscar's desire is nothing compared to Mayorga's. Like Lamon Brewster said, the one keeping you from the land of milk and honey was Golata for him... its De La Hoya for Mayorga.
    Thats true. It's all or nothing for Mayorga. Do or Die.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,609
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    942
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    I think Oscar is going to win this, unless he trades.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    Oscar will destroy him easily........... i think the hype has really gone to your heads

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    Not only will Oscar win, he won't even look like he's been in a fight with practically no marks on him afterwards. Mayorga will be embarrassed.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,122
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
    Oscar will destroy him easily........... i think the hype has really gone to your heads
    It's not hype,from me,it's hope,that he whoops Oscar but Oscar theoretically should win.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    49,121
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
    Oscar will destroy him easily........... i think the hype has really gone to your heads
    It's not hype,from me,it's hope,that he whoops Oscar but Oscar theoretically should win.
    i dont buy into hope, i buy into realism....


    there are many variables at play here.....when did oscar last look good?

    how long ago was it anyone?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    49,121
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    if mayorga is ready for this, then he can take out DLH....

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12,748
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1198
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
    Oscar will destroy him easily........... i think the hype has really gone to your heads
    It's not hype,from me,it's hope,that he whoops Oscar but Oscar theoretically should win.
    i dont buy into hope, i buy into realism....


    there are many variables at play here.....when did oscar last look good?

    how long ago was it anyone?
    yes... but when did Mayorga last look good. at the beginning of 2003 he KOEd Forrest.. Since then he has, imo.. lost the rematch by a close margin when Forrest clearly fought scared.. After that, at the end of 2003, he was outboxed and outclassed by Spinks and lost the UD. Then he went on to win a decision over Eric Mitchell(who..) Then Tito smashed his face in, in one of the most one sided beating I have ever seen(trinidad was also coming off a huge layoff, longer than Oscars I believe, and he had also been KoEd by hopkins in his previous fight.).. So 10 months after the brutal beating Tito handed him, Mayorga fought Michelle Picerillo, and won a boring UD where he actually got tired and started to eat straight punches towards the end of the fight.. It looked a little like Vargas Castillejo. Anyways, that fight was 10 months ago.. and Mayorga hasn't fought since. Basically he has no advantage and this fight should be an easy pick for DLH.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    49,121
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is Oscar in for a beating?

    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
    Oscar will destroy him easily........... i think the hype has really gone to your heads
    It's not hype,from me,it's hope,that he whoops Oscar but Oscar theoretically should win.
    i dont buy into hope, i buy into realism....


    there are many variables at play here.....when did oscar last look good?

    how long ago was it anyone?
    yes... but when did Mayorga last look good. at the beginning of 2003 he KOEd Forrest.. Since then he has, imo.. lost the rematch by a close margin when Forrest clearly fought scared.. After that, at the end of 2003, he was outboxed and outclassed by Spinks and lost the UD. Then he went on to win a decision over Eric Mitchell(who..) Then Tito smashed his face in, in one of the most one sided beating I have ever seen(trinidad was also coming off a huge layoff, longer than Oscars I believe, and he had also been KoEd by hopkins in his previous fight.).. So 10 months after the brutal beating Tito handed him, Mayorga fought Michelle Picerillo, and won a boring UD where he actually got tired and started to eat straight punches towards the end of the fight.. It looked a little like Vargas Castillejo. Anyways, that fight was 10 months ago.. and Mayorga hasn't fought since. Basically he has no advantage and this fight should be an easy pick for DLH.
    you could well be right

    but i disagree....oscar has coasted in a long time....

    b hop was too much for oscar, and sturm beat him plain and clear...

    in his last 10 fights what is oscar exactly?....its nearly even....

    i wouldnt be surprised if mayorga knocks oscar out for the second time.....still, easy money for the bank...


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Forum | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2022 Saddo Boxing - Boxing