Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 69

Thread: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

Share/Bookmark
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    901
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    486
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    Who's better P4P?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    60,180
    Mentioned
    1601 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2846
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    SRR is what us boxing fans have been programmed and I think he was. He was never knocked out or down I think and could punch at all weights.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6,272
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    Ray robinson would have got mirked by Roy. Just make sure the fight was indoor so he wouldnt quit.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    60,180
    Mentioned
    1601 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2846
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Ray robinson would have got mirked by Roy. Just make sure the fight was indoor so he wouldnt quit.
    You do know it was so hot that the ref had to be changed.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Ray robinson would have got mirked by Roy. Just make sure the fight was indoor so he wouldnt quit.
    You do know it was so hot that the ref had to be changed.
    Not to mention Ray was 40 plus and waaaaay past his prime.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    901
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    486
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    Quote Originally Posted by jon09 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Ray robinson would have got mirked by Roy. Just make sure the fight was indoor so he wouldnt quit.
    You do know it was so hot that the ref had to be changed.
    Not to mention Ray was 40 plus and waaaaay past his prime.
    Ray was well ahead on the scorecards, though. If the fight had continued, he would have won.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,012
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    441
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    They get more and more ridiculous everytime...

    Roy by early KO, easy work.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

    Lennox Lewis

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    60,180
    Mentioned
    1601 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2846
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    They get more and more ridiculous everytime...

    Roy by early KO, easy work.
    When did any fighter have an easy night against Robinson?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,012
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    441
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    @Master

    Come on man, when did Robinson fight anybody a tenth as good as Roy!

    Roy also massively outsizes him as well as being so far superior in skillset you might as well put a crippled in front of Roy!

    I like Robinson and I'm sure he'd still kick an ass or 2 but he aint competing with top fighters his own size let alone among the greatest fighters a few weight classes above him. That's crazy!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

    Lennox Lewis

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,419
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    573
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Hahaha. Yeah, easy ko for Roy.... Definitely. Just look at the other big names Roy knocked out: Thomas Tate, Percy Harris, Vinny Paz, Bryant Brannon, Tony Thornton. Oh man, those guys were ATG fighters on Robinsons level for sure!

    It's one thing to say Roy could compete or cause problems, but an early knockout?!? U r either a troll or new to the sport. Robinson fought prime Hall of Fame killers like Jake Lamotta, Gene Fullmer, Carmen Basilio, Kid Gavilan, fritzie zivic, Rocky Graziano, and Sammy Angott and he knocked them many of them out. He was too tough for Roy, who was talented but never had the mindset to walk someone down n pound out a hard fight.

    The elite fighters Roy fought (Hop, Toney) at worst would lose a decision. Roy never stopped one elite opponent n there is no way he stops the GOAT. Roy was a bigger man so maybe he catches Rat on the right night n gets a decision, but he loses the rematches by stoppage because Ray was more than just speed and an awkward style.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    60,180
    Mentioned
    1601 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2846
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    @Master

    Come on man, when did Robinson fight anybody a tenth as good as Roy!

    Roy also massively outsizes him as well as being so far superior in skillset you might as well put a crippled in front of Roy!

    I like Robinson and I'm sure he'd still kick an ass or 2 but he aint competing with top fighters his own size let alone among the greatest fighters a few weight classes above him. That's crazy!
    Do not even compare SRR to a cripple. The closest weight they shared at their best was middleweight and that would be a good match up as Roy was a bit green compared to where he finished up. SRR was older but still had enough about him to win the title 5 times.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,012
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    441
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    It's all so clear to me now. I feel like a fog has been lifted and returned my vision.

    I can see now that Roy would be in serious trouble should he have met the technically brilliant Jake La Motta.

    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

    Lennox Lewis

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    60,180
    Mentioned
    1601 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2846
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    It's all so clear to me now. I feel like a fog has been lifted and returned my vision.

    I can see now that Roy would be in serious trouble should he have met the technically brilliant Jake La Motta.

    Good, should have happened a long time ago only took over 800 posts.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,012
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    441
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    @Master

    Come on man, when did Robinson fight anybody a tenth as good as Roy!

    Roy also massively outsizes him as well as being so far superior in skillset you might as well put a crippled in front of Roy!

    I like Robinson and I'm sure he'd still kick an ass or 2 but he aint competing with top fighters his own size let alone among the greatest fighters a few weight classes above him. That's crazy!
    Do not even compare SRR to a cripple. The closest weight they shared at their best was middleweight and that would be a good match up as Roy was a bit green compared to where he finished up. SRR was older but still had enough about him to win the title 5 times.
    Yeah ok that wasn't cool.

    SRR was the greatest ATG. He has the best record of all time of any boxer. And he was extremely skilled and versatile for his era.

    But this is Roy Jones Jr, who is obviously naturally bigger and far more athletic. His speed and ring intelligence surpasses SRR's by far.

    It's a bit of a stretch to consider Robinson an equal lb for lb let alone in absolute terms.

    I like both boxers equally but it's almost impossible to imagine SRR mounting any sort of successful offensive. Roy was so slick.

    I'm not trying to give you my usual olden era bashing because it's definitely plausible that an ancient fighter like Robinson would be a competitor, but at this level I have to say I find it absurd.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

    Lennox Lewis

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    60,180
    Mentioned
    1601 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2846
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: sugar ray robinson vs roy jones jr

    Remember Roy was not like Monzon or Hagler at middleweight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Saddo Boxing - Boxing