Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1874
    Cool Clicks

    Default "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    I think in my time here (and that isn't a HUGE amount of time), I think i've read 200 times the question "am i too old to start boxing", "is 17 to old to start boxing", "can I still become a pro if i'm 23 now", "how old do you need to be to start boxing".....

    They are very open ended questions that no one can really answer....

    To the question "am I to old to start boxing"? The answer is, NO... You can be 4 or 104, as long as you can still lift your arms and throw them out, you can start boxing. It's that simple. Not everyone who plays tennis aims to win a grand slam. Thousands & Thousands of people play tennis every day trying to better themselves and keep fit, but 99.9% of them will never compete at a high level, or possibly ever want to.
    It seems that EVERYONE thinks that before you start boxing, it has to be analyzed whether you're old enough to become world champion before you even thinnkkkk of going to the gym. For someone to become a world champion, it takes every inch of their heart/soul & body to get their. And if every part of your body, heart & soul is in becoming world champion, you certainly won't be wasting your time on here asking people if you are to old to start. You'd be in the gym training.
    Boxing is a great sport! It is fun number 1. It is challenging. It will test you all the time. It keeps you fit. It stimulates your mind. It is great in thousands of ways and can benifit you as a being to no end!! No one is ever to old to take benifit from starting boxing. And the decision to start or not lays firmly on your shoulders. Forget age, forget weight, forget everything! Seek out a gym, or download/buy some instruction video's, get some equipment, and start training & having fun....
    That is boxing!! NO ONE needs to weigh up their ability to become a champion before they start.. You know, their will always be younger people that are better than you.
    On money issues, do you decide at age 25 that you are to old to start making millions because you've heard of other people who are 19 that have already made millions? Do you decide at age 50 that you're to old to start making millions because most people twice as young as you have made millions already?? Trust me, when your 50 and deciding that you want to make millions, you'll be wishing you'd started when you were 25.
    The exact same goes for boxing! I started boxing at age 22. I remember when I was 16!!! thinking to myself that I am to old to start boxing because I assumed people at the gym had probably been training since they were 6 and would be WAY better than me. I now wish I HAD started when I was 16. I would be twice as good as I am now and probably 4 times better than most people around me.... But, I put it off all those years ago by second guessing myself based on what level I thought everyone else was at. Now I have to regret it. It's a gaurantee that just about ANNNYTHING in the WORLD you can POSSIBLY think of starting, their will be people younger, and better than you at it!! FACT!!! But is that a reason not to start? Does that mean YOU won't get as much out of it?? No f'n way!

    My question to you is, do you want to keep asking yourself today "am I to old to start boxing?".. because I gaurantee if you have any passion to start this sport, it's not worth waiting another 4 years to ask yourself the same question again. And you will in 4 years... and the question will be just as irrelavent in 4 years as it is today... You are NEVER to old to start boxing!!! You'l just be 4 years older than the LAST time you considered starting!! You'd be shocked how much you can improve over 4 years!!! shocked!! so why the hell waste those 4 years, or ANY years, considering whether you're to old.... Trust me, you're never going to get any younger....

    Are you to old to become a champion PRO? That's a totally different question and involves a hell of a lot more things than age. And I think if you are seriously considering being a PRO boxer, then it probably does require you to be fairly young if you want to really excel.. That's assuming you havn't boxed much. If you're 30 but have been training since you were 10, you could probably have a bit of fun in the Pro's. You may not become world champ, but is that really your goal?

    Look, I could go on forever but I think the question is relevant to just about everything in life. You ask yourself if your toooo old or tooooo 'whateverrrr' to start something, because you are doubtful of yourself. The only way you will ever get where you want is to stop thinking of reasons why 'NOT' to do something, and just get the f'ck in there and do it! The sooner you dive in, the sooner you'll start to get something out of it!!!

    No excuses and no regrets!!

    [ Edit : Okay a sticky is fine ]

    happy boxing everyone!

    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    11,428
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1786
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    I have stickied it... because you seem to answer pretty well yourself!

    I've left this open though... so if the so called 'wise' people you where talking about want to add their 2 cents then they can...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    7,495
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2405
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    Thats a terrific post all true cc Diz
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

    boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dizaster
    I think in my time here (and that isn't a HUGE amount of time), I think i've read 200 times the question "am i too old to start boxing", "is 17 to old to start boxing", "can I still become a pro if i'm 23 now", "how old do you need to be to start boxing".....

    They are very open ended questions that no one can really answer....

    To the question "am I to old to start boxing"? The answer is, NO... You can be 4 or 104, as long as you can still lift your arms and throw them out, you can start boxing. It's that simple. Not everyone who plays tennis aims to win a grand slam. Thousands & Thousands of people play tennis every day trying to better themselves and keep fit, but 99.9% of them will never compete at a high level, or possibly ever want to.
    It seems that EVERYONE thinks that before you start boxing, it has to be analyzed whether you're old enough to become world champion before you even thinnkkkk of going to the gym. For someone to become a world champion, it takes every inch of their heart/soul & body to get their. And if every part of your body, heart & soul is in becoming world champion, you certainly won't be wasting your time on here asking people if you are to old to start. You'd be in the gym training.
    Boxing is a great sport! It is fun number 1. It is challenging. It will test you all the time. It keeps you fit. It stimulates your mind. It is great in thousands of ways and can benifit you as a being to no end!! No one is ever to old to take benifit from starting boxing. And the decision to start or not lays firmly on your shoulders. Forget age, forget weight, forget everything! Seek out a gym, or download/buy some instruction video's, get some equipment, and start training & having fun....
    That is boxing!! NO ONE needs to weigh up their ability to become a champion before they start.. You know, their will always be younger people that are better than you.
    On money issues, do you decide at age 25 that you are to old to start making millions because you've heard of other people who are 19 that have already made millions? Do you decide at age 50 that you're to old to start making millions because most people twice as young as you have made millions already?? Trust me, when your 50 and deciding that you want to make millions, you'll be wishing you'd started when you were 25.
    The exact same goes for boxing! I started boxing at age 22. I remember when I was 16!!! thinking to myself that I am to old to start boxing because I assumed people at the gym had probably been training since they were 6 and would be WAY better than me. I now wish I HAD started when I was 16. I would be twice as good as I am now and probably 4 times better than most people around me.... But, I put it off all those years ago by second guessing myself based on what level I thought everyone else was at. Now I have to regret it. It's a gaurantee that just about ANNNYTHING in the WORLD you can POSSIBLY think of starting, their will be people younger, and better than you at it!! FACT!!! But is that a reason not to start? Does that mean YOU won't get as much out of it?? No f'n way!

    My question to you is, do you want to keep asking yourself today "am I to old to start boxing?".. because I gaurantee if you have any passion to start this sport, it's not worth waiting another 4 years to ask yourself the same question again. And you will in 4 years... and the question will be just as irrelavent in 4 years as it is today... You are NEVER to old to start boxing!!! You're just 4 years older than the LST time you considered starting!! You'd be shocked how much you can improve over 4 years!!! shocked!! so why the hell waste those 4 years, or ANY years, considering whether you're to old.... Trust me, you're never going to get any younger....

    Are you to old to become a champion PRO? That's a totally different question and involves a hell of a lot more things than age. And I think if you are seriously considering being a PRO boxer, then it probably does require you to be fairly young if you want to really excel.. That's assuming you havn't boxed much. If you're 30 but have been training since you were 10, you could probably have a bit of fun in the Pro's. You may not become world champ, but is that really your goal?

    Look, I could go on forever but I think the question is relevant to just about everything in life. You ask yourself if your toooo old or tooooo 'whateverrrr' to start something, because you are doubtful of yourself. The only way you will ever get where you want is to stop thinking of reasons why 'NOT' to do something, and just get the f'ck in there and do it! The sooner you dive in, the sooner you'll start to get something out of it!!!

    No excuses and no regrets!!

    And pleasse donnnnt sticky this post becuase i'm hella sure that someone else can respond to this 'age' old question (pardon the pun) a lot better than I have right here... I was really just aiming to recognise the need for someone to answer this question wisely,, and once and for all...

    happy boxing everyone!

    great posting my man

    im going to start boxing in a few weeks. but if i ever get to fight u, dont be surprised if i K.O. u, jk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"


  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    I was just thinking this myself because im 16 and i think i will probably take your advice and start.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1874
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    ^^^^ Yeah, absolutely go for it! Hopefully this sticky helps give MANY people a little push to get going if they are having second thoughts about whatever reason, not just age...

    But 16 is still a great time to start and if you're still at it and going strong by 20, you could pretty damn good at it... If you want to put it in perspective, a guy just joined my gym who is 48 years old. He came in in a suit about 2 months ago to ask about prices and classes. He then drove off in his bmw, but has been back to 2 classes a week since. His first session you could tell he probably hadn't done much physical exercise in years. He could barely skip. When he could manage to co-ordinate for even a few seconds to jump the rope a few times, he was puffing and panting and had to stop after about 6 seconds. He could manage about 3 pushups in a row and not to many more situps/crunches.... Aside from knowing southpaw's put their right foot forward & that the jab was a dominant punch, he knew nothing else about stance or anything. Basically he was a 48 year old office worker who hasn't done much his in his life other than work in an office.
    2 months on you'd think he'd been training for years. Not that his skills are years advanced. Not that his physical abilities are years advanced. Not even that he can skip for the full 3 rounds without having to stop 100 times. But that first day, he looked like he didn't belong anywhere near a gym and should have stuck to sitting in front of a computer. Now it's hard to picture this guy sitting at a desk.
    He's improved about 1000% in everything he did on that first day. His commitment is 100% as if in a few years he COULD turn pro (I mean that as a figure of speach). This guy is now a boxer. Not an amazingly flashy/good or even average boxer... But before he stepped into the gym that first day, i'm sure you could call him nothing more than a pencil pusher...
    When I think of the first day he came in, to ask for prices in his suit, and even the first day he came in to train and we thought we better set an ambulance on the quickdial incase the guy had a heart attack, and compare him to how I see him now, he's a totally different guy... And im sure he feels it too.
    And you can bet your SwEET a** that that guy probably told himself a 1000 times that he's too old to start boxing before he finally took the plunge and came into the gym. You can probably gaurantee that if he told anyone around him he was going to start boxing they probably would have told him the same thing. But none the less he ignored it all, came to the gym, and i'm sure he'll never look back.... at 48 years old.. But let me tell you, in just 2 months he's dropped 10 years... Seriously....

    So certainly, no one is too old to start boxing!
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dizaster
    ^^^^ Yeah, absolutely go for it! Hopefully this sticky helps give MANY people a little push to get going if they are having second thoughts about whatever reason, not just age...

    But 16 is still a great time to start and if you're still at it and going strong by 20, you could pretty damn good at it... If you want to put it in perspective, a guy just joined my gym who is 48 years old. He came in in a suit about 2 months ago to ask about prices and classes. He then drove off in his bmw, but has been back to 2 classes a week since. His first session you could tell he probably hadn't done much physical exercise in years. He could barely skip. When he could manage to co-ordinate for even a few seconds to jump the rope a few times, he was puffing and panting and had to stop after about 6 seconds. He could manage about 3 pushups in a row and not to many more situps/crunches.... Aside from knowing southpaw's put their right foot forward & that the jab was a dominant punch, he knew nothing else about stance or anything. Basically he was a 48 year old office worker who hasn't done much his in his life other than work in an office.
    2 months on you'd think he'd been training for years. Not that his skills are years advanced. Not that his physical abilities are years advanced. Not even that he can skip for the full 3 rounds without having to stop 100 times. But that first day, he looked like he didn't belong anywhere near a gym and should have stuck to sitting in front of a computer. Now it's hard to picture this guy sitting at a desk.
    He's improved about 1000% in everything he did on that first day. His commitment is 100% as if in a few years he COULD turn pro (I mean that as a figure of speach). This guy is now a boxer. Not an amazingly flashy/good or even average boxer... But before he stepped into the gym that first day, i'm sure you could call him nothing more than a pencil pusher...
    When I think of the first day he came in, to ask for prices in his suit, and even the first day he came in to train and we thought we better set an ambulance on the quickdial incase the guy had a heart attack, and compare him to how I see him now, he's a totally different guy... And im sure he feels it too.
    And you can bet your SwEET a** that that guy probably told himself a 1000 times that he's too old to start boxing before he finally took the plunge and came into the gym. You can probably gaurantee that if he told anyone around him he was going to start boxing they probably would have told him the same thing. But none the less he ignored it all, came to the gym, and i'm sure he'll never look back.... at 48 years old.. But let me tell you, in just 2 months he's dropped 10 years... Seriously....

    So certainly, no one is too old to start boxing!
    wow, hard to believe but very inspiring, great post

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1874
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    Totally true.! We have not a pretty small class in a small town where anybody is welcome. We have 2 girls too. One is only 16 but the other is probably 40 herself. But yeah, trust me, it's not odd that white collar adults one day just decide to do something to blow of steam from work and something that gets them fit at the same time. And good on this guy, he now has something over EVERY single other person at his office that finishes a stressful day at work and goes straight back to a stressful home...
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    Do you have any advice as to how i should get start like ways to ease my way into the sports or should i just jump right in?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1874
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    Well I suppose it's hard to say.. Boxing is boxing in a way... You can start off getting fit. No matter WHEN you start going to a gym and training, you'll alwayssss need fitness. In the first few months of training, the fitness is a LOT harder to get through than actually learning the skills.
    So start going for short runs and turn them into long runs. Get a skipping rope. You can get one for $5 and it'll do just as good job as any,, and start using it. All this will pay of in the future without a doubt.
    Depending on what your gym/trainer is like, I suppose that's what will decide how far you get 'thrown into' boxing. You may get a trainer that realy just focuses on fitness first and then goes over the basics a lot of the time, getting them perfect. You may get a trainer who wants to get you in sparring as soon as possible. It all depends.
    Do you have a gym or trainer? If their is one in your area, just go and watch a session or better yet, go in and sign up for a class. Their is absolutely no replacement/substitute for going to a trainer and doing a class. So yeah, I think how your asking it, you should just throw yourself in their if the opportunity is there. But if you're looking for where to first get started, start working on your fitness a little.
    Their are a few tutorials on here about your stance and the basic punches & it absolutely won't hurt to read up as much about them as you can and even start practicing. Knowing the basics always helps when you join a class, and as long as you've done your best to use the technique described as best you can, your trainer should be able to help you fine tune your form and what your doing wrong..

    It's really up to you where you start, but signing up for a class is about 20 levels ahead of just about any other place you could start.

    Once you get going, their are a lot of people on here that will answer anyyyy question you might have!
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,899
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    cc Diz
    And youd best be right,or Im getting my butt kicked come November

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    761
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    CC #57 bro!!!! great post!!!!
    It feels good to be back home.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    the only thing i can add to this is that getting involved in boxing has worked wonders for my fitness. Im 29 and have only been involved for a couple of years. Even if like myself you dont intend to compete its never too late to get involved.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1874
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: "Am I too old to start boxing?"

    Quote Originally Posted by lambpie
    the only thing i can add to this is that getting involved in boxing has worked wonders for my fitness. Im 29 and have only been involved for a couple of years. Even if like myself you dont intend to compete its never too late to get involved.
    CC.. Thanks for your input as well. And exactly, anyone under 20 that asks if they are too old is just crazy..
    It all depends on your goals, but 90% of the goals in boxing ANYONE can work at to acheive. Not everyone has to want to compete. Like any sport. Like when all your friends are playing football or going bowling, do you even once think about age.. No, you just want to get in there and have fun!!

    There just seems to be this big strange mystical thing surround boxing and what age you should start... I can't think of any other sport (including any other combat sports) where there is just a stigma that you have to be a certain age to start, or else your over the hill and shouldn't bother. I mean you just seem to ask it yourself.. It doesn't even take someone else telling you you're to old.. You put it on yourself and looking at it compared to anything else, it just seems crazy...
    But anywhere, there it is, and that's why I started this topic.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing