Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    622
    Cool Clicks

    Default Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    I realise its a mental strategy to prepare for the fight but couldn't it wait till during the day?

    Surely a goodnights sleep is the most important thing!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West,Yorkshire,UK
    Posts
    3,832
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1177
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    Not all boxers do. Tyson used to get up early because he said it gave him the psycological edge over his opponent knowing they weren't doing it.

    Also the air is cleaner at that time due to less traffic and therefore less polution to the lungs and cleaner breathing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,493
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1096
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    ^Good answer.

    I always wondered this myself, surely if you are putting your body through the kind of physical and emotional stress one goes through while training for a fighter, a good night's sleep would be essential.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    683
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    I think its a psycological thing.

    I preffer a good nights sleep tbh.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Levittown PA
    Posts
    1,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1125
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    Not all boxers do. Tyson used to get up early because he said it gave him the psycological edge over his opponent knowing they weren't doing it.

    Also the air is cleaner at that time due to less traffic and therefore less polution to the lungs and cleaner breathing.

    That is right on the money. Do you realize how much shit is in the air at 4:30 in the afternoon as opposed to 4:30 in the morning.I don't want to get all global warming happy on ya but do the math this is the main reason.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    11,686
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2011
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    Running very early in the morning, before taking in any foods forces the body into a catabolic state - eating itself.

    This means at the start of training when a fighter may have a few extra pounds it is an excellent method of cutting fat.
    Nearer to the fight these long early runs will be dropped in favour of short-fast carb fuelled runs.
    I was only an instrument that God used to play his music through. Loved being that instrument because he gave me some beautiful music to play.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,959
    Mentioned
    1513 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2751
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    Not all boxers do. Tyson used to get up early because he said it gave him the psycological edge over his opponent knowing they weren't doing it.

    Also the air is cleaner at that time due to less traffic and therefore less polution to the lungs and cleaner breathing.

    That is right on the money. Do you realize how much shit is in the air at 4:30 in the afternoon as opposed to 4:30 in the morning.I don't want to get all global warming happy on ya but do the math this is the main reason.
    Fighters have been running in the morning for years even before pollution was invented
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1021
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Running very early in the morning, before taking in any foods forces the body into a catabolic state - eating itself.

    This means at the start of training when a fighter may have a few extra pounds it is an excellent method of cutting fat.
    Nearer to the fight these long early runs will be dropped in favour of short-fast carb fuelled runs.
    I never knew this. Rep for teaching me something.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    685
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    They like to steal milk off doorsteps.

    Since people buy it in the shops now, early morning runs are less popular.

    "I listen to my body" is their excuse now !

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    593
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    665
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    It's also much cooler at night or early in the morning. I couldn't jog in the heat, i overheated and found it much too uncomfortable and unhealthy,so i started jogging in the evening or nighttime when the sun went down.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    14,470
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2641
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    Quote Originally Posted by awdleyfuturehalloffamer View Post
    It's also much cooler at night or early in the morning. I couldn't jog in the heat, i overheated and found it much too uncomfortable and unhealthy,so i started jogging in the evening or nighttime when the sun went down.

    This is what I thought. I'm not exactly Manny Pacquiao but I do do a fair bit of running and when I do I like it to be before 7 AM just because it's cooler then and jogging in the heat sucks especially when you live at altitude like me. I can see the cutting weight thing, I personally don't go out without at the very least a banana or something.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West,Yorkshire,UK
    Posts
    3,832
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1177
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by awdleyfuturehalloffamer View Post
    It's also much cooler at night or early in the morning. I couldn't jog in the heat, i overheated and found it much too uncomfortable and unhealthy,so i started jogging in the evening or nighttime when the sun went down.

    This is what I thought. I'm not exactly Manny Pacquiao but I do do a fair bit of running and when I do I like it to be before 7 AM just because it's cooler then and jogging in the heat sucks especially when you live at altitude like me. I can see the cutting weight thing, I personally don't go out without at the very least a banana or something.
    Bananas are very good for having before a run too as they are a fast source of energy and easy to burn off.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,786
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3364
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    I dunno. Sometimes I wake up at 4:30, but it is usually to go for a pee then right back to bed. I suppose the smog factor isa factor depending on where you live, but I live on the shores of Lake Superior so can pretty much get the best air on the planet on any given breath.

    If it gives someone a psychological edge, so be it. I'd rather run rested, nourished and ready.

    p.s. I think The Fightfans avatar is awesome.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,664
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1772
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Running very early in the morning, before taking in any foods forces the body into a catabolic state - eating itself.

    This means at the start of training when a fighter may have a few extra pounds it is an excellent method of cutting fat.
    Nearer to the fight these long early runs will be dropped in favour of short-fast carb fuelled runs.
    Most people think they shouldnt eat before exercise because they will burn more fat and calories that way. While this is somewhat true, and can be usefull when trying to cut weight fast (like donny said), it can also force your body into a catabolic state (again like donny said). Besides, you dont burn that much fat/calories during an hour or two of exercise. You lose fat because the exercise causes a boost in your metabolism. Which causes the body to burn calories faster, and use food as fuel much better for hours after exercise. This way there is much less catabolizing of your hard earned muscle.

    I personally like to eat a solid meal about an hour and a half before a workout, but i know a lot of people that like to have a small meal of quick carbs (gateorade, fruit or juice) and fast protein (whey) about half hour before a workout.

    This is especially true for anyone trying to add muscle.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    622
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Running very early in the morning, before taking in any foods forces the body into a catabolic state - eating itself.

    This means at the start of training when a fighter may have a few extra pounds it is an excellent method of cutting fat.
    Nearer to the fight these long early runs will be dropped in favour of short-fast carb fuelled runs.
    Well, I dont see why you can't just wake up at normal time and do your running before breakfast.
    Same thing

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. HBO wake the hell up.
    By Bookkeeper in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 05:59 PM
  2. WAKE-UP BOXERS & FANS (Training Methods) by Tommy Noel
    By Chris Nagel in forum Important / Useful Posts
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-30-2007, 06:12 PM
  3. I've been online since 9.30am......
    By El Gamo in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-03-2007, 12:18 PM
  4. Dee dee dee Come on people wake up
    By Puya in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 01:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing