Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77

Thread: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    48,502
    Mentioned
    941 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3197
    Cool Clicks

    Default Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    I have never really understood Alan Partridges obsession with James Bond. Bond was a good idea for a couple of films, but after about 400 it has become tired, formulaic and pointless. It has always astonished me how James Bond goes on and on. Any other franchise gets old after the 3rd film at best and there is Bond who never stops. Also, Daniel Craig has to be the worst James Bond ever. Much worse than that Australian one whose name escapes me. I really wish they would have James Bond die in a terrorist attack and to just be done with it all.

    Who else doesn't get James Bond?
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    48,502
    Mentioned
    941 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3197
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    OTT intro music - check
    Bond and new gadgets - check
    Girl with somewhat naughty name - check
    OTT stunt scenes - check
    Absurd plot - check
    Arched eyebrow whilst drinking alcoholic drink - check

    So predictable. I don't understand why people keep going back for more. Is it because it is every 3 years and people forget that they have seen it all before and was done far more charismatically by Connery half a century ago.

    I don't mind the Connery Bond actually.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North of South
    Posts
    2,693
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    788
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    Bond is the dog's bollocks, it's a British Filmatic Institue, and the greatest spy known to man. I only wish the was 400 films or even books wrote for bond, alas this is not the case.

    Connery, Moore, George Lazenby, Dalton, Brosnan, Craig are your Bonds. My personal favourite was Brosnan, pulled off Bond really well.

    All other spy characters were born from the Bond franchise. We have alot to thank Bond for.
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In a hole in the ground
    Posts
    23,387
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3105
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    I agree with Miles. Bond sucks. Akso I hate pretty much all spy films so I resent the iea I should be thankful toward Bond for anything.

    I think the worl would actually be a better place without cinema. People would still be reading books, so society would be more intelligent and conversation more sophisticated.

    Without actors we would never have had the birth of celebrity culture which has led ultimately to such human endangering tragidies such as reality tv and X Factor.

    Fuck Bond, fuck cinema.

    Hail to books.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    19,358
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1530
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    I dont particularly care for Bond, I wouldnt go to the cinema to watch a Bond film, wouldnt rent one either but on a Sunday afternoon with a belly full of meat potato and gravy it serves its purpose.

    A couple of hours entertainment, no thought required, half asleep on the sofa, thats how I use Bond films, thats how I use most films.

    Im sure I'll watch one over the next two weeks.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

    Charley Burley

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    48,502
    Mentioned
    941 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3197
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    I think it is a bit harsh to condemn all cinema as I think there have been a lot of great films over the years. Over recent weeks I have been re watching my Hitchcock collection and you can't argue against the quality of films like Strangers on a train or North by Northwest. Just brilliant. They are not the same character doing the same things again and again, though Hitchcock does like his innocent man on the run quite a lot.

    I do despise modern celebrity culture though and all the crappy TV that exists these days. Society is extremely dumbed down and you see it in the plethora of low brow and downright stupid films we get these days. The plots are skin thin and its all about the CGI. I haven't been to the pictures in ages and for good reason. Indiana Jones 4 really let me down.

    Books are definitely a far richer experience than film. This year I have worked my way through a number of Dostoevsky novels and the depth and scope of the writing is at times just astonishing. In many ways it is quite humbling as I can't write like that. I draw much more on the simple, say it direct Orwell style approach to expression. Likewise, film by its very nature has to be relatively simple, but popular films of several decades ago seemed to have a linguistic richness and depth that is all too often missing from today's popular films.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North of South
    Posts
    2,693
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    788
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    I agree with Miles. Bond sucks. Akso I hate pretty much all spy films so I resent the iea I should be thankful toward Bond for anything.

    I think the worl would actually be a better place without cinema. People would still be reading books, so society would be more intelligent and conversation more sophisticated.

    Without actors we would never have had the birth of celebrity culture which has led ultimately to such human endangering tragidies such as reality tv and X Factor.

    Fuck Bond, fuck cinema.

    Hail to books.
    The films, of course were derived from the books, so really we should blame the books therefor your comments mean jackshit as your contradicting yourself
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North of South
    Posts
    2,693
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    788
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    I dont particularly care for Bond, I wouldnt go to the cinema to watch a Bond film, wouldnt rent one either but on a Sunday afternoon with a belly full of meat potato and gravy it serves its purpose.

    A couple of hours entertainment, no thought required, half asleep on the sofa, thats how I use Bond films, thats how I use most films.

    Im sure I'll watch one over the next two weeks.
    Ah, someone talking sense finally
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    48,502
    Mentioned
    941 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3197
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    Memphis has it right there. They are films that you expect on the telly over the holiday period and with a belly full of festive grub.

    I don't actually hate Bond, but I just struggle to see the point in it. I just don't get it.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    19,358
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1530
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    I think it is a bit harsh to condemn all cinema as I think there have been a lot of great films over the years. Over recent weeks I have been re watching my Hitchcock collection and you can't argue against the quality of films like Strangers on a train or North by Northwest. Just brilliant. They are not the same character doing the same things again and again, though Hitchcock does like his innocent man on the run quite a lot.

    I do despise modern celebrity culture though and all the crappy TV that exists these days. Society is extremely dumbed down and you see it in the plethora of low brow and downright stupid films we get these days. The plots are skin thin and its all about the CGI. I haven't been to the pictures in ages and for good reason. Indiana Jones 4 really let me down.

    Books are definitely a far richer experience than film. This year I have worked my way through a number of Dostoevsky novels and the depth and scope of the writing is at times just astonishing. In many ways it is quite humbling as I can't write like that. I draw much more on the simple, say it direct Orwell style approach to expression. Likewise, film by its very nature has to be relatively simple, but popular films of several decades ago seemed to have a linguistic richness and depth that is all too often missing from today's popular films.
    The fact that you called it the pictures means that I dont doubt this for a second
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

    Charley Burley

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In a hole in the ground
    Posts
    23,387
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3105
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyhitman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    I agree with Miles. Bond sucks. Akso I hate pretty much all spy films so I resent the iea I should be thankful toward Bond for anything.

    I think the worl would actually be a better place without cinema. People would still be reading books, so society would be more intelligent and conversation more sophisticated.

    Without actors we would never have had the birth of celebrity culture which has led ultimately to such human endangering tragidies such as reality tv and X Factor.

    Fuck Bond, fuck cinema.

    Hail to books.
    The films, of course were derived from the books, so really we should blame the books therefor your comments mean jackshit as your contradicting yourself
    I never said the books were bad only the movies. Actually though I would much rather read about Ian Flemings real life exploits during the war coordinating 30 Assualt Unit and organising daring thefts of intelligence from German bunkers and military HQ's. That is what his Bond novels were loosely based upon and those stories are far more interesting than any modern Bond movie.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    This Lunatic Asylum
    Posts
    23,141
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2853
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    The Roger Moore ones all bring back memories of when I was a kid. I enjoy catching them on TV now and again.

    The modern Bond would get owned by Jason Bourne IMO.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In a hole in the ground
    Posts
    23,387
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3105
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    The Roger Moore ones all bring back memories of when I was a kid. I enjoy catching them on TV now and again.

    The modern Bond would get owned by Jason Bourne IMO.
    I'd like to see Jason Bourne surf an arctic tsunami with a car bonnet

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    48,502
    Mentioned
    941 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3197
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    The Bourne films are modern action films that I actually quite like. They do something a little different and they mix it up stylistically. But you wouldn't want to see 28 of them made over the next five decades. Bond was alright for a couple of films, but I don't understand why people keep going back for more every couple of years. They do well and thus keep getting made, but it confuses me how this particular franchise keeps going when it is nowhere on the level of something like the Bourne films which at least the first time out are exciting.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    48,502
    Mentioned
    941 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3197
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Who thinks James Bond is rubbish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    The Roger Moore ones all bring back memories of when I was a kid. I enjoy catching them on TV now and again.

    The modern Bond would get owned by Jason Bourne IMO.
    I'd like to see Jason Bourne surf an arctic tsunami with a car bonnet
    Hahaha!
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-25-2008, 10:03 AM
  2. Best James Bond baddie
    By Swashbuckling Gordy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 06:24 PM
  3. Saw the new James Bond film last night
    By Munkymagic in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-24-2006, 08:27 AM
  4. New james bond trailer - casino royale
    By Munkymagic in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2006, 05:23 PM
  5. The names bond, james Bond
    By AdamGB in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 12:19 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing