Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    7,974
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1561
    Cool Clicks

    Default No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    I play squash 3-4 times a week. Have done for several years. I couldn't tell you who the current world champion is mind, nor have I ever watched it on tv, and for any squash question that ever may come up in a quiz my answer will always be either 'Jahangir Khan' or 'Jansher Khan' - because thats what they used to do on Question of Sport in the 80s.

    Anyway I have often wondered why it is snubbed at the olympics and not allowed in . It has to be one of the most physically demanding ball games around. You hear arguments like its not very tv friendly for excitement, viewers have trouble seeing the ball etc.. ? But can anyone tell me Sailing is fun to watch, pistol shooting , dressage ?? Seems like squash gets hard done by to me. And as for not being able to see the ball, well I have never to this day seen the puck go in the goal watching ice hockey on TV - the organsist is the guy who lets me know it's 'in there !'

    I could keep listing sports liek handball, water polo etc.. that are in but won't - personally I have a problem with any event that leaves it in the hands of the judges (though respect the gymnasts, divers etc as true dedicated sportsmen) but little can be done about that.

    Anyway i've gone on as all I wanted to do was post a link to this article thats on the BBC today saying more or less the same thing.

    Thoughts ? Hello ?

    BBC Sport - Olympics Synchronised swimming: Sport or Strictly Sub-Aqua?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    5,313
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    910
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    Yeah I do not see any legitimate reason to exclude Squash whilst including performance art such as Synchronised Swimming.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

    Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Up in the attic
    Posts
    26,456
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3881
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    I think the gay olympdics has it.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

    I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    19,127
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1507
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    I watched a bit of the pistol shooting

    It wasnt until it had completely finished that I got brief glimpse of the targets. I think they are 25m away from the targets, the adience are another 5m or so behind the shooters so they cant see fuck all. It could be completely made up, they might not have been firing bullets at all.

    At least in the traps you can see the clay come out and a puff of pink powder.

    Yeah Ice hockey could be completley made up too. I wonder how long it would take for someone to realise if they just dispensed with the puck?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

    Charley Burley

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    7,974
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1561
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    was in Canada a few years ago and got talking to a couple of guys in a bar (no it wasn't a bummers bar before people crack that gag) re ice hockey and football back home etc...

    Not sure how much truth in it, maybe some US or Canadians can answer, but one of them said they had experimented with a luminous flashing puck one season so the viewers could see the puck ??

    Apparently it didn't go down well with the players though and they stopped it ??
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,200
    Mentioned
    1480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2718
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    Mark TKO would want darts and snooker in next.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    19,127
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1507
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    I would too. We'd medal easily in both.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

    Charley Burley

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    19,127
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1507
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    Same reason Dirs wants Squash

    Im all for kicking out sports we're shit at and replacing them with ones we're brilliant at. Makes perfect sense.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

    Charley Burley

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    7,974
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1561
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Mark TKO would want darts and snooker in next.

    i think we've had the compare darts to pistol shooting several times over the years


    ask yourself which one is more skilful ?

    then shut up you prick
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,200
    Mentioned
    1480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2718
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Mark TKO would want darts and snooker in next.

    i think we've had the compare darts to pistol shooting several times over the years


    ask yourself which one is more skilful ?

    then shut up you prick
    Pistol shooting has far more skill involved.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    19,127
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1507
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    Im convinced it takes no skill at all. Im convinced they dont even fire anything from the pistols. I think its just a guy with five buttons in a room out the back and he makes up the score as he sees fit.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

    Charley Burley

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,200
    Mentioned
    1480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2718
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Im convinced it takes no skill at all. Im convinced they dont even fire anything from the pistols. I think its just a guy with five buttons in a room out the back and he makes up the score as he sees fit.
    You are wrong these guys have been training for years shooting cans off walls since they were little kids. they then move on to animals and become police officers. After they get sacked for shooting an innocent person, they enter the Olympics.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    5,313
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    910
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Im convinced it takes no skill at all. Im convinced they dont even fire anything from the pistols. I think its just a guy with five buttons in a room out the back and he makes up the score as he sees fit.
    You are wrong these guys have been training for years shooting cans off walls since they were little kids. they then move on to animals and become police officers. After they get sacked for shooting an innocent person, they enter the Olympics.
    Only one problem Master. Police Officers don't get sacked for shooting innocent people.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

    Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Up in the attic
    Posts
    26,456
    Mentioned
    435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3881
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Im convinced it takes no skill at all. Im convinced they dont even fire anything from the pistols. I think its just a guy with five buttons in a room out the back and he makes up the score as he sees fit.
    You are wrong these guys have been training for years shooting cans off walls since they were little kids. they then move on to animals and become police officers. After they get sacked for shooting an innocent person, they enter the Olympics.
    Only one problem Master. Police Officers don't get sacked for shooting innocent people.
    I think he meant the other 'sacked' like a reach around from a fellow cop.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

    I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    7,974
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1561
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: No Squash in the Olympics - why ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Mark TKO would want darts and snooker in next.

    i think we've had the compare darts to pistol shooting several times over the years


    ask yourself which one is more skilful ?

    then shut up you prick
    Pistol shooting has far more skill involved.
    you're taking the piss right ?
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. MMA & the Olympics
    By scout200 in forum Mixed Martial Arts
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 01:14 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 07:57 PM
  3. So far at the Olympics
    By LEGION in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 06:35 AM
  4. Floyd got his ars squash!!!!
    By Julius Rain in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 07:08 AM
  5. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-29-2006, 01:19 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing