Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How do I best use the jab as a southpaw?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    363
    Cool Clicks

    Default How do I best use the jab as a southpaw?

    As opposed to how an orthodox fighter uses the jab.

    Many thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    624
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How do I best use the jab as a southpaw?

    Hi OMGWTF,
    One basic way (against an orthodox fighter) is to keep/maintain your lead (right) foot on the outside of your opponent's lead (left) foot and pump out single and double jabs in a counterclockwise direction (i.e. circling away from his rear right hand) to establish/retain the initiative, keep him on the defensive, and to set up your offensive bursts.

    Hope this helps...

    Take Care,
    Lito

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Up in the attic
    Posts
    26,397
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3859
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How do I best use the jab as a southpaw?

    Doing exactly what Lito says here:

    If you are a taller or even a more rangey fighter than your opponent,Or if they are getting lazy or tired and hang their jab out too long or if they use it for a feeler: You can block and hit simultaneously over their jab with your faster snappy jab, by turning your jab in on the end of your footwork movement, your arm crosses their extended jab;you can turn your elbow down slightly and punch angled fist to the side of their neck/ear (great shot for mma gloves fit your extended finger knuckles right into their lights out section of the neck.)

    Anyway fully gloved or not, their shoulder and jab arm will still rise up in reaction, their left rib cage is then open, if you've moved that way, land and use it full twist in, then go back high with the same thing, a double hook ending. You may as well make going that way pay full dividends. Just be well covered with your left arm ready for his cross but ultimately move round him further as you are landing shots so he has to turn to reach you.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

    I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    McAllen, Texas?
    Posts
    5,003
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    895
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How do I best use the jab as a southpaw?

    Watch this:

    And this:

    The Zapata fight, use that as a starting point. He had a tremendous jab but, for the life of me, I cannot recall who he was fighting in the fight that stands out in my mind. Also, check out Jiro Watanabe, and the 2nd and 3rd Gonzalez vs Carbajal fights.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    363
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How do I best use the jab as a southpaw?

    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Watch this:

    And this:

    The Zapata fight, use that as a starting point. He had a tremendous jab but, for the life of me, I cannot recall who he was fighting in the fight that stands out in my mind. Also, check out Jiro Watanabe, and the 2nd and 3rd Gonzalez vs Carbajal fights.
    Sorry for the late reply thanks for posting excellent advice as always mate and taking the time to upload these videos!!!





    For any southpaws out there a few extras off the top of my head...(learnt on here from the above videos and online)

    Slightly slip/bend left to send a jab through their guard.

    Circle right and send a jab through the gap (one of the best ways thanks strictly)

    Parry their jab and jab back while watching out and moving away fro the ever threatening rear cross.

    Jab low to the body.

    Lower stance for a bit then pop up (not your chin) then fire the jab over their lead arm

    X2 Jab through their lead arm and to their head. (classic way always works for me)

    and lastly power jab with your hip after throwing a lead rear cross (gets you back to a safe distance nicely)
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 01-25-2013 at 12:31 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    363
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How do I best use the jab as a southpaw?

    Quote Originally Posted by StrictlySP View Post
    Hi OMGWTF,
    One basic way (against an orthodox fighter) is to keep/maintain your lead (right) foot on the outside of your opponent's lead (left) foot and pump out single and double jabs in a counterclockwise direction (i.e. circling away from his rear right hand) to establish/retain the initiative, keep him on the defensive, and to set up your offensive bursts.

    Hope this helps...

    Take Care,
    Lito

    Thanks mate this worked a treat!

    Take care!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    282
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    363
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How do I best use the jab as a southpaw?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Doing exactly what Lito says here:

    If you are a taller or even a more rangey fighter than your opponent,Or if they are getting lazy or tired and hang their jab out too long or if they use it for a feeler: You can block and hit simultaneously over their jab with your faster snappy jab, by turning your jab in on the end of your footwork movement, your arm crosses their extended jab;you can turn your elbow down slightly and punch angled fist to the side of their neck/ear (great shot for mma gloves fit your extended finger knuckles right into their lights out section of the neck.)

    Anyway fully gloved or not, their shoulder and jab arm will still rise up in reaction, their left rib cage is then open, if you've moved that way, land and use it full twist in, then go back high with the same thing, a double hook ending. You may as well make going that way pay full dividends. Just be well covered with your left arm ready for his cross but ultimately move round him further as you are landing shots so he has to turn to reach you.

    Thats a really cool idea thanks alot mate Ive been searching for how to do this/smiler so its very much appreciated!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. How to become a southpaw?
    By Blacc Roccy in forum Ask the Trainer
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 03:14 AM
  2. How Do You Fight Against A Southpaw ??
    By ICB in forum Ask the Trainer
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 09:03 AM
  3. Joe Calzaghe the Southpaw
    By USA LOVES THE KLITSCHKOS in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-02-2007, 06:16 AM
  4. Southpaw flighting a Southpaw
    By RobP in forum Ask the Trainer
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 06:53 PM
  5. How do you beat a Southpaw
    By Jimanuel Boogustus in forum Ask the Trainer
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-23-2005, 08:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing