Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  91
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 459

Thread: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12,617
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1040
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

    Are you training for a transition to being a real life vigilante, @Batman ? Bit of a murder theme going on

    I can never figure out how to post pictures properly on here, but I got these two books out from the library yesterday, hopefully I'll enjoy them. Haven't read a good novel in donkeys years I must admit.


    One, Two, Three...Infinity: Facts and Speculations of Science by George Gamow — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

    This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession by Daniel J. Levitin — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gotham/Batcave
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    351
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Are you training for a transition to being a real life vigilante, @Batman ? Bit of a murder theme going on

    I can never figure out how to post pictures properly on here, but I got these two books out from the library yesterday, hopefully I'll enjoy them. Haven't read a good novel in donkeys years I must admit.


    One, Two, Three...Infinity: Facts and Speculations of Science by George Gamow — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

    This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession by Daniel J. Levitin — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
    I'm more likely to go the other way and go on some massive murder rampage, I've always had a thing for the macabre or sinister, I kind of love anything to do with evil, my favourite stuff is paranormal non fiction, demonic possession and the likes of, I've done pretty much all of those books though so I'm branching out to the bog standard serial killer in the hope that I can pick up some tips.

    Keep us updated on 'This Is Your Brain on Music' I might have a look at that if its any good

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gotham/Batcave
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    351
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Just finished, Chikatilo was one fucked up dude, he used to cut people lips off because they reminded him of genitalia, I'd actually like to read a bit more about this because this book was wrote almost as a story which kind of detracts from the realism of it all, also I'd like to understand a bit more about how Russian politics affected the case because the police seemed to be a major stumbling block in actually catching him.

    Next up



    This is the tale of Monsieur Trelkovsky, an ordinary man, against whom apparently ordinary circumstances conspire until he is enmeshed in an extraordinary and terrifying situation. It portrays a nightmare world which is only separated from everyday life by a sliver of sanity.
    I've been waiting absolutely ages to get this book, it's been impossible to get hold of for about 12 months so I'm quite looking forward to getting started on it.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gotham/Batcave
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    351
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

    Well The Tenant was a truly bizarre book, not what I was expecting at all but it was a great little read, it's only short (clocks in at 180 pages)

    It starts off with a regular dude haggling to move into an apartment in France, the previous tenant threw themselves out of the window.
    The neighbours are off with poor old regular dude right from the off, banging on the walls every time he makes a sound, he ends up alienating himself as his neighbours manipulate his life and his very being, his paranoia grows and then things get really weird in the second part of the book, the end will leave you scratching your head as to what you have just been reading.

    A lot of it seems to be left down to the reader to decide what has actually happened to the main character.

    It was reminiscent of Thomas Ligotti's work (for a modern reference) and it was like a watered down Kafka.

    Well worth a read.

    I don't know what to read now I've got a few books lined up but I'm not too sure what I fancy at the minute

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gotham/Batcave
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    351
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?



    The original novel -- a terrifying battle with an obscene, unspeakable evil that must end in victory...or madness and death -- completely and brilliantly read by its author, and winner of the Audie Award for his performance.
    decided to start re-reading The Exorcist again last night, one of my favourite books (and films) of all time, I thought I'd revisit it as I'm watching the TV series which is a direct sequel to the first film (it completely disregards The Heretic)

    and also I didn't get out of bed until 7am this morning, my back was in agony so I decided to pop into town for a bit of a wonder to loosen it off a bit, I bought this from Waterstones
    only re-read this in November and William Peter Blatty is dead, as I said in my previous post, one of my all time favourite books, I've probably read it about 10 times
    Last edited by Batman; 01-14-2017 at 05:16 AM.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Where the sun is shining!
    Posts
    2,085
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    429
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?


  7. #157
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gotham/Batcave
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    351
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

    I'm about to start this today


    The Vatican, 5th century A.D. Pope Gregory has ordered to be sealed forever the 9th Gregorian chant - a profane, unholy invocation to the devil
    San Francisco, 1977
    Emily Blake has begun to hear strange disembodied voices calling to her in her home. Her husbands lover has burned to death, in a chair, behind a locked door. The ancient charge of murder by witchcraft has been leveled at Emily...
    Emily whose only hope may be a grotesque eleven year old boy with a demonic sexual craving, a little boy who has already taken her once, evilly. A little boy who taught her the tune of a chant unheard for fifteen hundred years.
    Just ordered a few books to keep me occupied next week when I'm off work


    The sun was rising over Moat County, Florida, when Sheriff Thurmond Call wasfound on the highway, gutted like an alligator. A local redneck was tried, sentenced, and set to fry.
    Then Ward James, hotshot investigative reporter for the "Miami Times,"returns to his rural hometown with a death row femme fatale who promises himthe story of the decade. She's armed with explosive evidence, aiming tofree--and meet--her convicted "fiancé ."

    With Ward's disillusioned younger brother Jack as their driver, theybarrel down Florida's back roads and seamy places in search of The Story, racing flat out into a shocking head-on collision between character and fate astruth takes a back seat to headline news...

    One of the most significant and intriguing Gothic novels of the Victorian period and is enjoyed today as a modern psychological thriller. In UNCLE SILAS (1864) Le Fanu brought up to date Mrs Radcliffe's earlier tales of virtue imprisoned and menacedby unscrupulous schemers. The narrator, Maud Ruthyn, is a 17 year old orphan left in the care of her fearful uncle, Silas. Together with his boorish son and a sinister French governess, Silas plots to kill Maud and claim her fortune. The novel established Le Fanu as a master of horror fiction.

    The village of Hemmersmoor is a place untouched by time and shrouded in superstition: There is the grand manor house whose occupants despise the villagers, the small pub whose regulars talk of revenants, the old mill no one dares to mention. This is where four young friends come of age-in an atmosphere thick with fear and suspicion. Their innocent games soon bring them face-toface with the village's darkest secrets in this eerily dispassionate, astonishingly assured novel, evocative of Stephen King's classic short story "Children of the Corn" and infused with the spirit of the Brothers Grimm.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,004
    Mentioned
    1467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2708
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

    Those are creepy looking books Batman.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Up in the attic
    Posts
    26,428
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3874
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

    Enjoying the dvd series Deadwood at the moment.

    Latest book: Alcatraz from the inside.

    Next: The Kite runner.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

    I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gotham/Batcave
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    351
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Enjoying the dvd series Deadwood at the moment.

    Latest book: Alcatraz from the inside.

    Next: The Kite runner.
    I've got the boxset of Deadwood, loved that series it was just a shame it never got a proper ending, I know the director or writer was desperate to make a Deadwood film after it was cancelled but it never came to fruition

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    58,691
    Mentioned
    517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2987
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

    Finished up 'Scouting on Two Continents' what a fucking dude Frederick Russel Burnham was, he served under Rhodes, he fought alongside Churchill, he held court with Teddy Roosevelt. The man was indeed a very interesting sort and I am very pleased with his autobiographical work.


    Now I must search for what I am going to read next...I reckon I can continue on with The Bible (I do plan to read holy texts from the major religions including the Koran) but it's a very tedious kind of reading and you often wonder if things have been translated correctly and even if they have been are you understanding it as it was meant to be understood or misinterpreting....other books you can reread the pages and get a clearer picture of what is happening and what you're supposed to take away as the reader, with The Bible sometimes that just muddies the waters.


    I had started 'Shop Class as Soul Craft' but I just wasn't interested in it even when I started it...I want to eventually read it, but I've got to be in that mood first.



    Perhaps now is the time to dig into Salinger's works? Or maybe Twain?
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gotham/Batcave
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    351
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

    I've got a couple of Twain books, only Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, I've never got around to reading them even though I really want to.

    I'll probably add them to my list of definites for the new year

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    58,691
    Mentioned
    517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2987
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I've got a couple of Twain books, only Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, I've never got around to reading them even though I really want to.

    I'll probably add them to my list of definites for the new year
    I would have figured you'd have been all over his books. I've read them both for school, but there's reading for school and reading for pleasure so I will approach them differently this time. Also Twain's autobiography I would have thought would have been intriguing to a big reader like you.


    Salinger is one i haven't read before but upon hearing how fucking brilliant he was I am certainly interested in reading his works.
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gotham/Batcave
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    351
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I've got a couple of Twain books, only Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, I've never got around to reading them even though I really want to.

    I'll probably add them to my list of definites for the new year
    I would have figured you'd have been all over his books. I've read them both for school, but there's reading for school and reading for pleasure so I will approach them differently this time. Also Twain's autobiography I would have thought would have been intriguing to a big reader like you.


    Salinger is one i haven't read before but upon hearing how fucking brilliant he was I am certainly interested in reading his works.
    I think that is the problem I had with getting round to Finn and Sawyer, I know that they were books that people read in school which kind of put me off, I don't know why it just kind of did.
    I've never been one for autobiographies either, I've read a fair few but I prefer fiction 99% of the time.
    As for Sallinger, Catcher in the Rye was really good but I think it is more for young adults but still one that should be read, I've never really heard anyone talk about his other stuff.

    Saying that I was put off by Twain being school reading is strange considering I had to read 'of mice and men' in school and I loved it.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,004
    Mentioned
    1467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2708
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I've got a couple of Twain books, only Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, I've never got around to reading them even though I really want to.

    I'll probably add them to my list of definites for the new year
    I would have figured you'd have been all over his books. I've read them both for school, but there's reading for school and reading for pleasure so I will approach them differently this time. Also Twain's autobiography I would have thought would have been intriguing to a big reader like you.


    Salinger is one i haven't read before but upon hearing how fucking brilliant he was I am certainly interested in reading his works.
    I think that is the problem I had with getting round to Finn and Sawyer, I know that they were books that people read in school which kind of put me off, I don't know why it just kind of did.
    I've never been one for autobiographies either, I've read a fair few but I prefer fiction 99% of the time.
    As for Sallinger, Catcher in the Rye was really good but I think it is more for young adults but still one that should be read, I've never really heard anyone talk about his other stuff.

    Saying that I was put off by Twain being school reading is strange considering I had to read 'of mice and men' in school and I loved it.
    El Kabong had to read English classics and hated every page of it. His resentment is why he hates us English.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Just started reading a new book....
    By Von Milash in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-14-2008, 09:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing