David Haye vs. Tyson Fury rescheduled for 8 Feb 2014
Former WBA world heavyweight champion David Haye will now face unbeaten Tyson Fury on Saturday, February 8, 2014 at Manchester's Phones 4u Arena, following the postponement of their original date in September.
The outspoken heavyweight pair were scheduled to box at the same venue this Saturday (September 2, in what was billed as the British fight of the year, but a cut to Haye's left eye, picked up in sparring last Friday, scuppered the fight and the entire event.
Nevertheless, after working hard to secure a second date, Hayemaker Boxing and Hennessy Sports are delighted to have been able to reschedule the highly-anticipated encounter and give the fans what they want – and deserve.
“News of the date in February is music to my ears,” said Haye. “I was absolutely devastated this weekend, and felt as though I'd let a lot of people down. But now, with this new date, I couldn't be happier.
“My fans will still get the chance to see what they all wanted to see this weekend - they'll get to see Tyson Fury sparked out in a spectacular fashion.”
Since news of the pull-out broke, Haye has faced criticism from sceptics, including Fury and his team, curious as to why he chose to spar just eight days before a blockbuster pay-per-view event. Yet the former two-weight world champion insists all was on schedule.
“Sparring eight days before a fight is nothing new or unusual,” said the Londoner. “I've done this before fights in the past and never had an issue.
“Also, look at the history books. George Foreman sparred and got cut eight days before his 'Rumble in the Jungle' with Muhammad Ali – causing a six-week postponement - and Sugar Ray Leonard sparred and got knocked down five days before his fight with Marvin Hagler, but still managed to go on and win.
“Foreman and Leonard are two of the greatest fighters of all-time, so if it was good enough for them, it's certainly good enough for little old me. Not only that, those guys were preparing to face the likes of Ali and Hagler, while I was preparing to fight Tyson Fury, a man whose greatest triumph to date is shedding a few stone on Belgium's Biggest Loser fat camp.
“These things sometimes happen in training, and to suggest I decided against wearing a head-guard, or that the cut was premeditated, shows a clear lack of knowledge and understanding. This camp was no different to any other, aside from the fact it ended on an unlucky and sour note.”
Unlucky and sour, the trickle of blood from his left eye couldn't have come at a worse time for Haye. However, with a new date of February 8 to look forward to, he's ready to move on and come back better than ever.
“Tyson Fury might start to get brave now that he's received a stay of execution – and he might call me names and accuse me of ducking him – but that will all be short-lived, I can promise you,” said Haye.
“After hearing the nonsense he has come out with in the last few days, I'm even more determined to expose him in front of millions. And only the possibility of getting another chance to land punches on his massive head and doughy gut has helped cheer me up.
“The cut will heal, the fight will happen next year, and the fans will go home happy. The only difference now is that Tyson Fury gets an even nastier beat-down than he would have received first time round.
“Once again, I'd like to apologise to the fans for the inconvenience caused by the postponement, and also because they will now have to endure a few more months of rubbish spewing from the mouth of Tyson Fury. I had hoped to silence him for good on Saturday night.”
*** IMPORTANT: Tickets previously purchased for the original date of September 28 are automatically valid for this new date of February 8. Alternatively, fans looking for a refund are advised to go back to their point of purchase before October 31 ***