Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 152

Thread: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,380
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    497
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    A Trophy would be named after this fighter. The 1st contested bout ended in a draw.

    Who fought for it and what fighter was the trophy named after?
    Hagler, Toney v McCallum.?


    How'd you know?
    Going through my covidlockdown -leisure time I'd thought I'd rewatch the fight, totally forgot that was mentioned at the beginning of the broadcast. Hagler hearing a draw, must've been like, -yeah figures this would happen to me.

    Nice!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    60,331
    Mentioned
    1605 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2853
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    A Trophy would be named after this fighter. The 1st contested bout ended in a draw.

    Who fought for it and what fighter was the trophy named after?
    Hagler, Toney v McCallum.?


    How'd you know?
    Going through my covidlockdown -leisure time I'd thought I'd rewatch the fight, totally forgot that was mentioned at the beginning of the broadcast. Hagler hearing a draw, must've been like, -yeah figures this would happen to me.

    Nice!
    A big fan of both fighters and Toney finished strong and rocked the bodysnatcher. Many thought James won but I thought McCallum was the better. Hagler gave the title to Toney and Mike said that Hagler never appreciated a good boxer. They never did get on with one another.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    60,331
    Mentioned
    1605 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2853
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    How old was Joe Louis when he won the heavyweight world title?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,380
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    497
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    How old was Joe Louis when he won the heavyweight world title?
    About 23.


    This fighter had several nicknames such as The Chocolate Chopper. Another was The Coffee-Colored KO King. Another was The Safari Sandman! and I guess in the tradition of Dempsey the press for a brief moment called him The Mahogany Mauler.


    This fighter's 1st nickname was "The Terror"
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    60,331
    Mentioned
    1605 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2853
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    You are correct on Joe Loius being 23.

    No idea on your question.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,380
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    497
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    You are correct on Joe Loius being 23.

    No idea on your question.


    When Joe was being groomed to NOT be a Jack Johnson, his handlers saw an opportunity to improve race relations by coming up with those names. They settled with The Brown Bomber, thank goodness!

    Just imagine hearing ring introduction...And from Alabama is Joe The Safari Sandman Louis!!

    How many would misconstrued The Chocolate Chopper for the Chocolate chipper! Chipper? Chiperoo cookies?

    Or The Coffee-Colored KO King. Coffee is black, he's mulatto LOL! Maybe the Coffee With cream KO King?



    and 11 seconds into clip....



    What only us hardcore fans know!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,380
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    497
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    FOR ANYONE WHO NEVER SAW THE ABOVE FIGHT & View Hopkins as a clincher, PLEASE!! WATCH THESE FEW ROUNDS!!

    I think twice when Mercado was hurt he tried to clinch n hold...Bhop the Terror? He wanted no part in clinching! It's a trip to watch him back then, he was a banger for about 3 or 4 years!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,380
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    497
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    Oh & it was a fight he took on a few hours notice! This was supposed to be Mercado's fight! When the ref counts him out....for a moment looks like he's choking back tears!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    41,851
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4870
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    FOR ANYONE WHO NEVER SAW THE ABOVE FIGHT & View Hopkins as a clincher, PLEASE!! WATCH THESE FEW ROUNDS!!

    I think twice when Mercado was hurt he tried to clinch n hold...Bhop the Terror? He wanted no part in clinching! It's a trip to watch him back then, he was a banger for about 3 or 4 years!
    Man is on his own island when it came to recreating a world class formula. Ring chemist and righteous individual from start to finish. Almost a career run of legit jump on your chest annihilator around Joe Lipsey, JD Jackson to the Bo James break down & beat up artist to Hopkins the over analytical pot shot sniper at the end.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,380
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    497
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    FOR ANYONE WHO NEVER SAW THE ABOVE FIGHT & View Hopkins as a clincher, PLEASE!! WATCH THESE FEW ROUNDS!!

    I think twice when Mercado was hurt he tried to clinch n hold...Bhop the Terror? He wanted no part in clinching! It's a trip to watch him back then, he was a banger for about 3 or 4 years!
    Man is on his own island when it came to recreating a world class formula. Ring chemist and righteous individual from start to finish. Almost a career run of legit jump on your chest annihilator around Joe Lipsey, JD Jackson to the Bo James break down & beat up artist to Hopkins the over analytical pot shot sniper at the end.
    Man! Did he put Lipsey to sleep or what?
    How ironic the 1st Joe he blasted into lala land , the 2nd Joe out hustled him and the last Joe blasted him out.
    The ring!
    Talk about an example of over-staying. Side note- Makes me respect Calzaghe all the more. Retire should mean just that.

    the over analytical pot shot sniper
    Nice!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,380
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    497
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    Well this is news at least to me. I always thought Roy went back down to face tarver-because he wanted to shut him out for continously calling him out.


    Roy Jones Jr in The gloves Are off- told his comrades he was chasing Bob Fitzsimmons record of going UP to HW & back down to LHW in 1896. Around 22mn into clip.


    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    60,331
    Mentioned
    1605 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2853
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    Sometimes what boxers say are not true but could believe this as Roy was interested in making history.

    When Roy said he deliberately lost a fight to get at his dad I do not believe.

    Collins was trying to sell a comeback fight against Roy. Eubank embarasses Collins numerous times especially for avoiding Calzaghe.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,380
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    497
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    Rocky Marciano-HW
    Sugar Ray Robinson- WW
    Roy Jones Jr -MW/LHW
    Archie Moore- LHW
    Tito Trinidad WW/MW


    5'11 fighters at different weight classes
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,380
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    497
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    Can anyone name some 5'10 fighters that have fought at various weight classes? Seems it goes as low as WW up HW-- champions that is!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  15. #135
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    60,331
    Mentioned
    1605 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2853
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Boxing Trivia (What only Hardcore fans know)

    I thought Tyson an Rocky were shorter than 5ft 11?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Boxing trivia
    By OumaFan in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 07:00 PM
  2. Monday boxing trivia
    By Mars_ax in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 03:56 AM
  3. Boxing Trivia
    By killersheep in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 11:45 PM
  4. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 05:50 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 10:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Saddo Boxing - Boxing