Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: How Far Can Golovkin Go?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, FL
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    610
    Cool Clicks

    Default How Far Can Golovkin Go?

    He is obviously a great fighter. Personally I think he should stay at 160 and take on anyone willing to fight him there. It'd be a huge mistake for him to go up to super middle, he's really not a big guy and very few with an agressive style of fighting moved up successfully(Duran being the exception). Personally I think he beats someone like Canelo or Cotto, but loses to someone like Ward. So that being said.

    How far does he go in boxing?
    Where is his career headed?
    Who at Middleweight can actually challenge him?

    My opinion is he can be a superstar if he avoids moving up, but giving the lack of options at the moment, he may not have a choice.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    55,952
    Mentioned
    1430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2678
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Far Can Golovkin Go?

    I think GGG is the new Hagler, he not only beats his opponents he wipes them away. He will stay around and clear the division beating the canadian that Beanflicker loves, Quillin, and Saunder/Lee winner. He will be avoided by Canelo/Cotto winner, the winner will wait until he moves up in weight.

    When Ward leaves the weight he will take over supermiddle.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    london
    Posts
    5,435
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    718
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I think GGG is the new Hagler, he not only beats his opponents he wipes them away. He will stay around and clear the division beating the canadian that Beanflicker loves, Quillin, and Saunder/Lee winner. He will be avoided by Canelo/Cotto winner, the winner will wait until he moves up in weight.

    When Ward leaves the weight he will take over supermiddle.
    GGG is praying that ward leaves the weight.

    Ward needs these money fights so the best move for ward would be to stay around at 168 and destroy ggg and then leap up to 175 and beat stevenson and fight and beat a very tough kovalev.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    55,952
    Mentioned
    1430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2678
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Far Can Golovkin Go?

    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I think GGG is the new Hagler, he not only beats his opponents he wipes them away. He will stay around and clear the division beating the canadian that Beanflicker loves, Quillin, and Saunder/Lee winner. He will be avoided by Canelo/Cotto winner, the winner will wait until he moves up in weight.

    When Ward leaves the weight he will take over supermiddle.
    GGG is praying that ward leaves the weight.

    Ward needs these money fights so the best move for ward would be to stay around at 168 and destroy ggg and then leap up to 175 and beat stevenson and fight and beat a very tough kovalev.
    Ironically GGG best bet is to do the same and stay at middleweight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    london
    Posts
    5,435
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    718
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I think GGG is the new Hagler, he not only beats his opponents he wipes them away. He will stay around and clear the division beating the canadian that Beanflicker loves, Quillin, and Saunder/Lee winner. He will be avoided by Canelo/Cotto winner, the winner will wait until he moves up in weight.

    When Ward leaves the weight he will take over supermiddle.
    GGG is praying that ward leaves the weight.

    Ward needs these money fights so the best move for ward would be to stay around at 168 and destroy ggg and then leap up to 175 and beat stevenson and fight and beat a very tough kovalev.
    Ironically GGG best bet is to do the same and stay at middleweight.
    If GGG beats andre ward I will sing his praises all day.

    He is a strong powerful fighter but if he wants to be a superstar he needs to beat the best at middle and thats andre ward.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,944
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    414
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Far Can Golovkin Go?

    I'm a big fan of GGG, I think he's great. But I don't think history will be very kind to him. People will say he was the best of a bad bunch of MW's and he will get avoided by Canelo and Cotto. He won't beat Ward at SMW, because he's not big enough strong enough or good enough. That's no disgrace, Ward could be the best SMW There's ever been , although he's been nowhere near active enough to prove that.
    So if he does go up to SMW after Ward has gone to LHW and beat them all, again people will say, "he wouldn't have beat Ward" or "again the best of a bad bunch" this is why he was desperate to fight Froch, because people would've given him credit for that , although I believe Froch was overrated (mainly by himself!)
    And let's not forget , he's what 32? 33? Time is running out, it could all change overnight. Not everyone can compete at the top level way into their Thirties like Floyd can.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    19,829
    Mentioned
    425 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1616
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Far Can Golovkin Go?

    I'm a fan of Golovkin myself, and it's too bad it appears he can't satisfy fans by staying in his own division and cleaning it out. Apparently there's just not that much to clean out. Meanwhile, the big names are either below him or above him in weight. So he's almost forced to either drop down, or move up. Personally, I've never liked the idea of matching him up with Floyd, as I think it's pointless. Too much of a size difference. IMO they should never meet. Can't blame GGG for mentioning Floyd, however. It's not like he's got options coming out the wazoo.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Antelope Valley, California
    Posts
    5,048
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    472
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I think GGG is the new Hagler, he not only beats his opponents he wipes them away. He will stay around and clear the division beating the canadian that Beanflicker loves, Quillin, and Saunder/Lee winner. He will be avoided by Canelo/Cotto winner, the winner will wait until he moves up in weight.

    When Ward leaves the weight he will take over supermiddle.
    GGG is praying that ward leaves the weight.

    Ward needs these money fights so the best move for ward would be to stay around at 168 and destroy ggg and then leap up to 175 and beat stevenson and fight and beat a very tough kovalev.
    I'm not sure that GGG is afraid of Ward. "I want make good, exciting fight!" Remember that!
    He thinks he's the baddest man on the planet, maybe he is.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,617
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    359
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Far Can Golovkin Go?

    Depending how long he can last since he is older, he could definitely be known as a top ten MW ever. I believe that he has fought a solid group of guys and I believe that will continue. I also believe that he will eventually get his signature win. I think he loses once he moves up in weight eventually and gets outworked by a bigger guy. Unless he fights Ward then he will just get beat.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    12,973
    Mentioned
    593 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    556
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Far Can Golovkin Go?

    I disagree, I think he can beat Ward. I think he can keep Ward off him. He may not be able to cut off the ring as much, which is a large part of his success. Ward is a great fighter but I think ggg can beat him. I'm biased, I really like ggg so that may be an issue here.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,617
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    359
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Far Can Golovkin Go?

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I disagree, I think he can beat Ward. I think he can keep Ward off him. He may not be able to cut off the ring as much, which is a large part of his success. Ward is a great fighter but I think ggg can beat him. I'm biased, I really like ggg so that may be an issue here.
    I would be shocked if ggg could beat Ward and that's because Ward is that good. Ward has easily beaten all of his opponents in the past 5 + years and most of them were considered top guys in the division and just good opponents all around. If ggg beat Ward, I would rate him very highly.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northern Canada
    Posts
    9,793
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    689
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Far Can Golovkin Go?

    How Far Can Golovkin Go?
    Kind of begs the question how far could have already gone had he already had the opportunity. I dont think there is any doubt is any objectives fans mind that he would already be undisputed champion. Instead he has to wait out the celebrity era of plastic champions. The best fighter in the division has to watch while false one gets 30 million and his opponent 6.5 to fight for some 150 catchweight title masqueraded as a middleweight title and not only that the Ring and Lineal. And yet the real champion barely cracked 7 figures in his last fight. Its a middleweight mockery. I dont think this has ever happened in the history of the division.

    Its a shame because it seems in order to get one champion you have to have one promoter owning all the players. I say that because the last time we had a undisputed middleweight champion it was Hopkins and Don King owned all the players and put on the tourney.

    So lets suppose we had a tourney to answer how far he could go:



    And the winner is?

    The man who's country ends its name with the first name Stan.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    308
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Far Can Golovkin Go?

    I think the sky is the limit for Golovkin. Fights and wins over Lemieux, the Lee/ Saunders winner, the Canelo/ Cotto winner and the Jacobs/ Quillin winner would make it very hard to deny his ability. Plus you have guys like Soliman, Wade, Eubank Jr, Centeno Jr and Johnson for him to stay busy against.

    I don't think GGG needs to move up at this stage. He offered Ward a 164 fair catchweight considering Ward was willing to make 160 for Floyd. Ward should be concentrating on the Groves/ Jack winner, DeGale, Andre Dirrell or the Hopkins/ Abraham winner if that fight happens.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,269
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    372
    Cool Clicks

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lineal View Post
    I think the sky is the limit for Golovkin. Fights and wins over Lemieux, the Lee/ Saunders winner, the Canelo/ Cotto winner and the Jacobs/ Quillin winner would make it very hard to deny his ability. Plus you have guys like Soliman, Wade, Eubank Jr, Centeno Jr and Johnson for him to stay busy against.

    I don't think GGG needs to move up at this stage. He offered Ward a 164 fair catchweight considering Ward was willing to make 160 for Floyd. Ward should be concentrating on the Groves/ Jack winner, DeGale, Andre Dirrell or the Hopkins/ Abraham winner if that fight happens.
    He offered Ward to cut 8lbs and a paycut. That offer was a f'n joke and people need to call it like it is. Ward can fight Joe Blow at whatever weight he wants or he can cut 8lbs for less money. GTFOOH with that nonsense. I could be back on board with GGG if they would just be honest and say "GGG isn't good at fighting inside so they don't want to fight Ward". It's that easy. F the 10k excuses and fake offers.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: How Far Can Golovkin Go?

    We may never know how good he is. He doesn't fight often enough, and the opponents that are good enough to give us a measurement against, wont fight him!

    He is going to have to step up in weight to fight guys game enough to fight him. They only will fight him because they will believe they have a weight, size advantage..

    He is starting to remind me of Kostya Tszu.... Doesn't fight often enough, and will enter long periods of inactivity. (which was Kostyas undoing)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Golovkin in 80s-90s.
    By VG_Addict in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-31-2015, 02:08 AM
  2. Froch v Golovkin
    By X in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-28-2015, 01:53 AM
  3. Next for Golovkin.
    By p4pking in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 01:23 AM
  4. Golovkin may come to the UK
    By Beanz in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-09-2013, 12:57 AM
  5. Golovkin card
    By armin in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-18-2012, 02:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing