Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  142
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
Results 676 to 690 of 832

Thread: The Brexit Thread

Share/Bookmark
  1. #676
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    21,213
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1027
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Why have you lied for two years?

    Did I say we should not leave?

    Did I say we should not negotiate?

    Did I say we should not implement Brexit?

    Did I suggest we should remain?


    That is in essence one question. It's not difficult or complex.
    Hidden Content

    "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself..."

  2. #677
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,725
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3149
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Why have you lied for two years?

    Did I say we should not leave?

    Did I say we should not negotiate?

    Did I say we should not implement Brexit?

    Did I suggest we should remain?


    That is in essence one question. It's not difficult or complex.
    To those questions I would suggest that your vote to remain tells us what you really think in regards to those things. You lately keep on telling us about dramatic things that we are told will happen, but in reality don't know all that much about or in fact they might well just be bogus theatrics. If you were not promoting the stay agenda, then why do you keep putting forth that side? My perspective on where you are is where you are from a recent position. I can not go back two years and argue what you might have argued then as frankly I don't go 2 years back on a regular basis. I tend to operate from the most recent few pages. I haven't read page 1 in a number of years and tend to keep to the more recent segments.

    I think your concern is in the type of leave and I understand that and disagree, but it not because of any impending insanity or anything like that, but just because I think it's time and the dithering has been pointless. Labour has clearly come out and said that they would negotiate, then hold a referendum to then go against the negotiation. It makes absolutely no sense, so on that basis Labour is convoluted or at the least flip floppy. So, I struggle to understand any support for Labour's current position and thus just want to see a free Britain despite a mild recession which people will get over. We get the flu, we recover. It's kind of normal. If it means Boris is the man to do it then so be it.

    I won't argue for what you have or haven't said 2 years ago as that is not where I am now. I am going on your recent posting. I am here in the now and time has ticked and tocked and management changed hands and just want to see the will of the people implemented.

    Apparently negotiation has happened. Done by a remainer and her team with no negotiating ability. The EU has admitted they intend to make things worse. There isn't much to negotiate really. It would have been great to have had full democracy and had all of these negotiations filmed actually. I suspect you wouldn't be impressed by either side.

    My view is that you voted to remain which must mean that in some way and for whatever reasons you have, that you support being part of a superstate.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

  3. #678
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    21,213
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1027
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Why have you lied for two years?

    Did I say we should not leave?

    Did I say we should not negotiate?

    Did I say we should not implement Brexit?

    Did I suggest we should remain?


    That is in essence one question. It's not difficult or complex.
    To those questions I would suggest that your vote to remain tells us what you really think in regards to those things. You lately keep on telling us about dramatic things that we are told will happen, but in reality don't know all that much about or in fact they might well just be bogus theatrics. If you were not promoting the stay agenda, then why do you keep putting forth that side? My perspective on where you are is where you are from a recent position. I can not go back two years and argue what you might have argued then as frankly I don't go 2 years back on a regular basis. I tend to operate from the most recent few pages. I haven't read page 1 in a number of years and tend to keep to the more recent segments.

    I think your concern is in the type of leave and I understand that and disagree, but it not because of any impending insanity or anything like that, but just because I think it's time and the dithering has been pointless. Labour has clearly come out and said that they would negotiate, then hold a referendum to then go against the negotiation. It makes absolutely no sense, so on that basis Labour is convoluted or at the least flip floppy. So, I struggle to understand any support for Labour's current position and thus just want to see a free Britain despite a mild recession which people will get over. We get the flu, we recover. It's kind of normal. If it means Boris is the man to do it then so be it.

    I won't argue for what you have or haven't said 2 years ago as that is not where I am now. I am going on your recent posting. I am here in the now and time has ticked and tocked and management changed hands and just want to see the will of the people implemented.

    Apparently negotiation has happened. Done by a remainer and her team with no negotiating ability. The EU has admitted they intend to make things worse. There isn't much to negotiate really. It would have been great to have had full democracy and had all of these negotiations filmed actually. I suspect you wouldn't be impressed by either side.

    My view is that you voted to remain which must mean that in some way and for whatever reasons you have, that you support being part of a superstate.
    See what i mean about how blatantly dishonest you are and how arrogant and stuck in your ways you are? You do not even think that after promising to answer some simple questions, that you have any responsibility to engage with other posters, or the truth.

    It really is all about identity politics with you.

    Because you do not act like an individual yourself, you refuse to treat anyone else like an individual.



    Did I say we should not leave?

    Did I say we should not negotiate?

    Did I say we should not implement Brexit?

    Did I suggest we should remain?



    The answer to all those question is NO. Whether that is two years ago or two minutes ago.

    You are still telling lies and suggesting that I am in favour of forcing the UK to remain. I have never once said or suggested that. That means you are still telling lies. Again and again. So seeing as you refuse to engage in debate we will move on to something a little more straightforward


    Did I blame those UK citizens who voted leave for the stalemate?

    Did you blame UK citizens who voted remain for the fact we have not left?
    Hidden Content

    "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself..."

  4. #679
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,725
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3149
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Why have you lied for two years?

    Did I say we should not leave?

    Did I say we should not negotiate?

    Did I say we should not implement Brexit?

    Did I suggest we should remain?


    That is in essence one question. It's not difficult or complex.
    To those questions I would suggest that your vote to remain tells us what you really think in regards to those things. You lately keep on telling us about dramatic things that we are told will happen, but in reality don't know all that much about or in fact they might well just be bogus theatrics. If you were not promoting the stay agenda, then why do you keep putting forth that side? My perspective on where you are is where you are from a recent position. I can not go back two years and argue what you might have argued then as frankly I don't go 2 years back on a regular basis. I tend to operate from the most recent few pages. I haven't read page 1 in a number of years and tend to keep to the more recent segments.

    I think your concern is in the type of leave and I understand that and disagree, but it not because of any impending insanity or anything like that, but just because I think it's time and the dithering has been pointless. Labour has clearly come out and said that they would negotiate, then hold a referendum to then go against the negotiation. It makes absolutely no sense, so on that basis Labour is convoluted or at the least flip floppy. So, I struggle to understand any support for Labour's current position and thus just want to see a free Britain despite a mild recession which people will get over. We get the flu, we recover. It's kind of normal. If it means Boris is the man to do it then so be it.

    I won't argue for what you have or haven't said 2 years ago as that is not where I am now. I am going on your recent posting. I am here in the now and time has ticked and tocked and management changed hands and just want to see the will of the people implemented.

    Apparently negotiation has happened. Done by a remainer and her team with no negotiating ability. The EU has admitted they intend to make things worse. There isn't much to negotiate really. It would have been great to have had full democracy and had all of these negotiations filmed actually. I suspect you wouldn't be impressed by either side.

    My view is that you voted to remain which must mean that in some way and for whatever reasons you have, that you support being part of a superstate.
    See what i mean about how blatantly dishonest you are and how arrogant and stuck in your ways you are? You do not even think that after promising to answer some simple questions, that you have any responsibility to engage with other posters, or the truth.

    It really is all about identity politics with you.

    Because you do not act like an individual yourself, you refuse to treat anyone else like an individual.



    Did I say we should not leave?

    Did I say we should not negotiate?

    Did I say we should not implement Brexit?

    Did I suggest we should remain?



    The answer to all those question is NO. Whether that is two years ago or two minutes ago.

    You are still telling lies and suggesting that I am in favour of forcing the UK to remain. I have never once said or suggested that. That means you are still telling lies. Again and again. So seeing as you refuse to engage in debate we will move on to something a little more straightforward


    Did I blame those UK citizens who voted leave for the stalemate?

    Did you blame UK citizens who voted remain for the fact we have not left?
    I think I answered reasonably and that because you voted to remain that you do at heart support a superstate. Now, I think you are tellimg lies when you state that I have just said that you are in favor of forcing Britain to remain. I don't think I did that.

    However, I did suggest that Labour is in essence going to try and prolong remain until a new referendum and the Libs certainly do want remain no matter what. You don't appear to have argued for the Lib Dem position but Lyle has certainly asked questions anout what you think about their recent behavior.

    What I was saying is that your recent posting has ALL been negative about Britain leaving citing all kinds of reasons. You are not exactly being balanced. I admit I am not in the middle. I am a believer in nation state democracy and more than ever having just finished a 900 page tome reviewing what I had forgotten about our own history. I just want out as a matter of principle. My oldest friend is Belgian and he wants out too. You will find a LOT of people want out all across Europe. The country we went to war for in WW1 and likewise many want out. He particularly dislikes how unsafe Brussels has become. It wasn't like this before.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

  5. #680
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    This Lunatic Asylum
    Posts
    22,955
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2824
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    @Gandalf - serious question, why do you spell like an American? I assume that's how you have to teach? If so, why have they adopted American over English?
    I will answer this question. The reason I spell like an American is because if I spell the word favourite like this, then at this moment in time it has a squiggly red line underneath it which is so aesthetically displeasing that I just feel an automatic need to eradicate it. The system here on Saddo's is itself Americanized. Even Beanz does it a fair bit.

    Nope, I have complete autonomy in how I teach and so whilst public school materials will often be American in style, I generally mix it up and will add a Mum and a flat and lift or what have you and point out spelling differentials. If anything I find a lot of young people prefer British English. They like the sound having experienced years of nasal audio and exaggerated intonation in the American style. A lot of materials these days incorporate a wider range of intonations though. Many youngsters are into films or music and like the romantic notion of what constitutes being English which in reality has of course become something of a myth. Thus trips to Europe or London end up being 'Huh?' Oh well.

    Then again some will prefer the American style as their intent is to work for a US firm here or study in north America. My wife says working for US firms is generally a bit naff though. They don't treat people very well. On the whole though you get plenty of Aussies and Canadians and Brits and Irish all doing their own English thing. We all sound different though and if they wanted America they would only hire Americans. Due to population mass there are more of them but overall a fair balance. 5 English people at my old place actually which is half the team.
    It was an honest question with zero undertone. I've noticed more and more young foreigners speak with American accents, especially Asians (Chinese kind) - doctors, nurses, students, etc. Obviously they are picking up that accent from the films/tv/speak devices they learn from, which I assumed was the reason for your Americanised spelling.

    I'm almost disappointed it's a simple case of your device producing a squiggly red line, however, thank you, as I now know what the squiggly line is (just realised my device is Americanized too.)
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

  6. #681
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,725
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3149
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    @Gandalf - serious question, why do you spell like an American? I assume that's how you have to teach? If so, why have they adopted American over English?
    I will answer this question. The reason I spell like an American is because if I spell the word favourite like this, then at this moment in time it has a squiggly red line underneath it which is so aesthetically displeasing that I just feel an automatic need to eradicate it. The system here on Saddo's is itself Americanized. Even Beanz does it a fair bit.

    Nope, I have complete autonomy in how I teach and so whilst public school materials will often be American in style, I generally mix it up and will add a Mum and a flat and lift or what have you and point out spelling differentials. If anything I find a lot of young people prefer British English. They like the sound having experienced years of nasal audio and exaggerated intonation in the American style. A lot of materials these days incorporate a wider range of intonations though. Many youngsters are into films or music and like the romantic notion of what constitutes being English which in reality has of course become something of a myth. Thus trips to Europe or London end up being 'Huh?' Oh well.

    Then again some will prefer the American style as their intent is to work for a US firm here or study in north America. My wife says working for US firms is generally a bit naff though. They don't treat people very well. On the whole though you get plenty of Aussies and Canadians and Brits and Irish all doing their own English thing. We all sound different though and if they wanted America they would only hire Americans. Due to population mass there are more of them but overall a fair balance. 5 English people at my old place actually which is half the team.
    It was an honest question with zero undertone. I've noticed more and more young foreigners speak with American accents, especially Asians (Chinese kind) - doctors, nurses, students, etc. Obviously they are picking up that accent from the films/tv/speak devices they learn from, which I assumed was the reason for your Americanised spelling.

    I'm almost disappointed it's a simple case of your device producing a squiggly red line, however, thank you, as I now know what the squiggly line is (just realised my device is Americanized too.)
    It depends on where they come from too. The Philippines for example is full of American influence. Out here you do get a range. If they have studied overseas in America for a year or whatever then an accent will be there. I am not into the squeaky rising intonation littered with time fill 'likes'. Personally I never use time fillers. I prefer to pause and get my words out in a dignified manner. I had a guy last year who had wonderful English diction, a drama stutent, had never been to the UK but was an Anglophile. Cool chap.

    Most Koreans don't have much of a foreign accent. In fact the main thing I tell them is that they need to enunciate well but it does not need to ape a particular form as basically there are so many and the main thing is being clear in your diction. My wife sounds pretty British due to the influence of my stronger consonants. My diction in a second language gets praised but you can tell with some things I struggle with the tongue position a little. For instance the inbetween l and r which is awkward for a Brit.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

  7. #682
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,725
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3149
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Typo's because of phone. Not pissed out of my head.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

  8. #683
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    21,213
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1027
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    @Gandalf - serious question, why do you spell like an American? I assume that's how you have to teach? If so, why have they adopted American over English?
    I will answer this question. The reason I spell like an American is because if I spell the word favourite like this, then at this moment in time it has a squiggly red line underneath it which is so aesthetically displeasing that I just feel an automatic need to eradicate it. The system here on Saddo's is itself Americanized. Even Beanz does it a fair bit.

    Nope, I have complete autonomy in how I teach and so whilst public school materials will often be American in style, I generally mix it up and will add a Mum and a flat and lift or what have you and point out spelling differentials. If anything I find a lot of young people prefer British English. They like the sound having experienced years of nasal audio and exaggerated intonation in the American style. A lot of materials these days incorporate a wider range of intonations though. Many youngsters are into films or music and like the romantic notion of what constitutes being English which in reality has of course become something of a myth. Thus trips to Europe or London end up being 'Huh?' Oh well.

    Then again some will prefer the American style as their intent is to work for a US firm here or study in north America. My wife says working for US firms is generally a bit naff though. They don't treat people very well. On the whole though you get plenty of Aussies and Canadians and Brits and Irish all doing their own English thing. We all sound different though and if they wanted America they would only hire Americans. Due to population mass there are more of them but overall a fair balance. 5 English people at my old place actually which is half the team.
    It was an honest question with zero undertone. I've noticed more and more young foreigners speak with American accents, especially Asians (Chinese kind) - doctors, nurses, students, etc. Obviously they are picking up that accent from the films/tv/speak devices they learn from, which I assumed was the reason for your Americanised spelling.

    I'm almost disappointed it's a simple case of your device producing a squiggly red line, however, thank you, as I now know what the squiggly line is (just realised my device is Americanized too.)
    When I worked in Milan for a anti-racist socialist group in the early nineties i was really impressed by the English spoken by volunteers of all ages. They all spoke with American accents though and really strong ones. It was because of the Exchange program they had with American schools, and so kids returning spoke English with a Californian accent, which did seem weird . My Italian was terrible though and I have forgotten all of it thru lack of use. My neighbour now is Italian and I have to speak to him in English because I am obviously a racist on weekends. Chinese lady on the other side who obviously i just pretend is white when she pops in for a cuppa
    Hidden Content

    "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself..."

  9. #684
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,661
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    581
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    @Gandalf - serious question, why do you spell like an American? I assume that's how you have to teach? If so, why have they adopted American over English?
    I will answer this question. The reason I spell like an American is because if I spell the word favourite like this, then at this moment in time it has a squiggly red line underneath it which is so aesthetically displeasing that I just feel an automatic need to eradicate it. The system here on Saddo's is itself Americanized. Even Beanz does it a fair bit.

    Nope, I have complete autonomy in how I teach and so whilst public school materials will often be American in style, I generally mix it up and will add a Mum and a flat and lift or what have you and point out spelling differentials. If anything I find a lot of young people prefer British English. They like the sound having experienced years of nasal audio and exaggerated intonation in the American style. A lot of materials these days incorporate a wider range of intonations though. Many youngsters are into films or music and like the romantic notion of what constitutes being English which in reality has of course become something of a myth. Thus trips to Europe or London end up being 'Huh?' Oh well.

    Then again some will prefer the American style as their intent is to work for a US firm here or study in north America. My wife says working for US firms is generally a bit naff though. They don't treat people very well. On the whole though you get plenty of Aussies and Canadians and Brits and Irish all doing their own English thing. We all sound different though and if they wanted America they would only hire Americans. Due to population mass there are more of them but overall a fair balance. 5 English people at my old place actually which is half the team.
    It was an honest question with zero undertone. I've noticed more and more young foreigners speak with American accents, especially Asians (Chinese kind) - doctors, nurses, students, etc. Obviously they are picking up that accent from the films/tv/speak devices they learn from, which I assumed was the reason for your Americanised spelling.

    I'm almost disappointed it's a simple case of your device producing a squiggly red line, however, thank you, as I now know what the squiggly line is (just realised my device is Americanized too.)
    When I worked in Milan for a anti-racist socialist group in the early nineties i was really impressed by the English spoken by volunteers of all ages. They all spoke with American accents though and really strong ones. It was because of the Exchange program they had with American schools, and so kids returning spoke English with a Californian accent, which did seem weird . My Italian was terrible though and I have forgotten all of it thru lack of use. My neighbour now is Italian and I have to speak to him in English because I am obviously a racist on weekends. Chinese lady on the other side who obviously i just pretend is white when she pops in for a cuppa
    I assume all those area Nazis are in close proximity. Do they get a cuppa

  10. #685
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    21,213
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1027
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    @Gandalf - serious question, why do you spell like an American? I assume that's how you have to teach? If so, why have they adopted American over English?
    I will answer this question. The reason I spell like an American is because if I spell the word favourite like this, then at this moment in time it has a squiggly red line underneath it which is so aesthetically displeasing that I just feel an automatic need to eradicate it. The system here on Saddo's is itself Americanized. Even Beanz does it a fair bit.

    Nope, I have complete autonomy in how I teach and so whilst public school materials will often be American in style, I generally mix it up and will add a Mum and a flat and lift or what have you and point out spelling differentials. If anything I find a lot of young people prefer British English. They like the sound having experienced years of nasal audio and exaggerated intonation in the American style. A lot of materials these days incorporate a wider range of intonations though. Many youngsters are into films or music and like the romantic notion of what constitutes being English which in reality has of course become something of a myth. Thus trips to Europe or London end up being 'Huh?' Oh well.

    Then again some will prefer the American style as their intent is to work for a US firm here or study in north America. My wife says working for US firms is generally a bit naff though. They don't treat people very well. On the whole though you get plenty of Aussies and Canadians and Brits and Irish all doing their own English thing. We all sound different though and if they wanted America they would only hire Americans. Due to population mass there are more of them but overall a fair balance. 5 English people at my old place actually which is half the team.
    It was an honest question with zero undertone. I've noticed more and more young foreigners speak with American accents, especially Asians (Chinese kind) - doctors, nurses, students, etc. Obviously they are picking up that accent from the films/tv/speak devices they learn from, which I assumed was the reason for your Americanised spelling.

    I'm almost disappointed it's a simple case of your device producing a squiggly red line, however, thank you, as I now know what the squiggly line is (just realised my device is Americanized too.)
    When I worked in Milan for a anti-racist socialist group in the early nineties i was really impressed by the English spoken by volunteers of all ages. They all spoke with American accents though and really strong ones. It was because of the Exchange program they had with American schools, and so kids returning spoke English with a Californian accent, which did seem weird . My Italian was terrible though and I have forgotten all of it thru lack of use. My neighbour now is Italian and I have to speak to him in English because I am obviously a racist on weekends. Chinese lady on the other side who obviously i just pretend is white when she pops in for a cuppa
    I assume all those area Nazis are in close proximity. Do they get a cuppa
    Yes a cup of milkshake in the face and a knee to the bollocks.
    Hidden Content

    "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself..."

  11. #686
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,661
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    581
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    @Gandalf - serious question, why do you spell like an American? I assume that's how you have to teach? If so, why have they adopted American over English?
    I will answer this question. The reason I spell like an American is because if I spell the word favourite like this, then at this moment in time it has a squiggly red line underneath it which is so aesthetically displeasing that I just feel an automatic need to eradicate it. The system here on Saddo's is itself Americanized. Even Beanz does it a fair bit.

    Nope, I have complete autonomy in how I teach and so whilst public school materials will often be American in style, I generally mix it up and will add a Mum and a flat and lift or what have you and point out spelling differentials. If anything I find a lot of young people prefer British English. They like the sound having experienced years of nasal audio and exaggerated intonation in the American style. A lot of materials these days incorporate a wider range of intonations though. Many youngsters are into films or music and like the romantic notion of what constitutes being English which in reality has of course become something of a myth. Thus trips to Europe or London end up being 'Huh?' Oh well.

    Then again some will prefer the American style as their intent is to work for a US firm here or study in north America. My wife says working for US firms is generally a bit naff though. They don't treat people very well. On the whole though you get plenty of Aussies and Canadians and Brits and Irish all doing their own English thing. We all sound different though and if they wanted America they would only hire Americans. Due to population mass there are more of them but overall a fair balance. 5 English people at my old place actually which is half the team.
    It was an honest question with zero undertone. I've noticed more and more young foreigners speak with American accents, especially Asians (Chinese kind) - doctors, nurses, students, etc. Obviously they are picking up that accent from the films/tv/speak devices they learn from, which I assumed was the reason for your Americanised spelling.

    I'm almost disappointed it's a simple case of your device producing a squiggly red line, however, thank you, as I now know what the squiggly line is (just realised my device is Americanized too.)
    When I worked in Milan for a anti-racist socialist group in the early nineties i was really impressed by the English spoken by volunteers of all ages. They all spoke with American accents though and really strong ones. It was because of the Exchange program they had with American schools, and so kids returning spoke English with a Californian accent, which did seem weird . My Italian was terrible though and I have forgotten all of it thru lack of use. My neighbour now is Italian and I have to speak to him in English because I am obviously a racist on weekends. Chinese lady on the other side who obviously i just pretend is white when she pops in for a cuppa
    I assume all those area Nazis are in close proximity. Do they get a cuppa
    Yes a cup of milkshake in the face and a knee to the bollocks.
    All two of them, or was it three. That is highly trained milkshake combat

  12. #687
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    21,213
    Mentioned
    792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1027
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    @Gandalf - serious question, why do you spell like an American? I assume that's how you have to teach? If so, why have they adopted American over English?
    I will answer this question. The reason I spell like an American is because if I spell the word favourite like this, then at this moment in time it has a squiggly red line underneath it which is so aesthetically displeasing that I just feel an automatic need to eradicate it. The system here on Saddo's is itself Americanized. Even Beanz does it a fair bit.

    Nope, I have complete autonomy in how I teach and so whilst public school materials will often be American in style, I generally mix it up and will add a Mum and a flat and lift or what have you and point out spelling differentials. If anything I find a lot of young people prefer British English. They like the sound having experienced years of nasal audio and exaggerated intonation in the American style. A lot of materials these days incorporate a wider range of intonations though. Many youngsters are into films or music and like the romantic notion of what constitutes being English which in reality has of course become something of a myth. Thus trips to Europe or London end up being 'Huh?' Oh well.

    Then again some will prefer the American style as their intent is to work for a US firm here or study in north America. My wife says working for US firms is generally a bit naff though. They don't treat people very well. On the whole though you get plenty of Aussies and Canadians and Brits and Irish all doing their own English thing. We all sound different though and if they wanted America they would only hire Americans. Due to population mass there are more of them but overall a fair balance. 5 English people at my old place actually which is half the team.
    It was an honest question with zero undertone. I've noticed more and more young foreigners speak with American accents, especially Asians (Chinese kind) - doctors, nurses, students, etc. Obviously they are picking up that accent from the films/tv/speak devices they learn from, which I assumed was the reason for your Americanised spelling.

    I'm almost disappointed it's a simple case of your device producing a squiggly red line, however, thank you, as I now know what the squiggly line is (just realised my device is Americanized too.)
    When I worked in Milan for a anti-racist socialist group in the early nineties i was really impressed by the English spoken by volunteers of all ages. They all spoke with American accents though and really strong ones. It was because of the Exchange program they had with American schools, and so kids returning spoke English with a Californian accent, which did seem weird . My Italian was terrible though and I have forgotten all of it thru lack of use. My neighbour now is Italian and I have to speak to him in English because I am obviously a racist on weekends. Chinese lady on the other side who obviously i just pretend is white when she pops in for a cuppa
    I assume all those area Nazis are in close proximity. Do they get a cuppa
    Yes a cup of milkshake in the face and a knee to the bollocks.
    All two of them, or was it three. That is highly trained milkshake combat
    One is one too many, and it is incredible that you have always made it an issue, as though it would benefit me somehow to make stuff up. It's a bloody forum ( why would I feel the need to invent stuff to impress people who run off when you say boo to them?) and you can live in denial as much as you like, but there are plenty of real racists, fascists and Neo-Nazis over here, and I am sure over there. Of course for you it's not a problem, and so it becomes a joke. I mean I could explain to you why it is a bit more serious and unavoidable for me and plenty of other people, but I am pretty sure you have already made your mind up.
    Hidden Content

    "You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself..."

  13. #688
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,661
    Mentioned
    611 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    581
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    @Gandalf - serious question, why do you spell like an American? I assume that's how you have to teach? If so, why have they adopted American over English?
    I will answer this question. The reason I spell like an American is because if I spell the word favourite like this, then at this moment in time it has a squiggly red line underneath it which is so aesthetically displeasing that I just feel an automatic need to eradicate it. The system here on Saddo's is itself Americanized. Even Beanz does it a fair bit.

    Nope, I have complete autonomy in how I teach and so whilst public school materials will often be American in style, I generally mix it up and will add a Mum and a flat and lift or what have you and point out spelling differentials. If anything I find a lot of young people prefer British English. They like the sound having experienced years of nasal audio and exaggerated intonation in the American style. A lot of materials these days incorporate a wider range of intonations though. Many youngsters are into films or music and like the romantic notion of what constitutes being English which in reality has of course become something of a myth. Thus trips to Europe or London end up being 'Huh?' Oh well.

    Then again some will prefer the American style as their intent is to work for a US firm here or study in north America. My wife says working for US firms is generally a bit naff though. They don't treat people very well. On the whole though you get plenty of Aussies and Canadians and Brits and Irish all doing their own English thing. We all sound different though and if they wanted America they would only hire Americans. Due to population mass there are more of them but overall a fair balance. 5 English people at my old place actually which is half the team.
    It was an honest question with zero undertone. I've noticed more and more young foreigners speak with American accents, especially Asians (Chinese kind) - doctors, nurses, students, etc. Obviously they are picking up that accent from the films/tv/speak devices they learn from, which I assumed was the reason for your Americanised spelling.

    I'm almost disappointed it's a simple case of your device producing a squiggly red line, however, thank you, as I now know what the squiggly line is (just realised my device is Americanized too.)
    When I worked in Milan for a anti-racist socialist group in the early nineties i was really impressed by the English spoken by volunteers of all ages. They all spoke with American accents though and really strong ones. It was because of the Exchange program they had with American schools, and so kids returning spoke English with a Californian accent, which did seem weird . My Italian was terrible though and I have forgotten all of it thru lack of use. My neighbour now is Italian and I have to speak to him in English because I am obviously a racist on weekends. Chinese lady on the other side who obviously i just pretend is white when she pops in for a cuppa
    I assume all those area Nazis are in close proximity. Do they get a cuppa
    Yes a cup of milkshake in the face and a knee to the bollocks.
    All two of them, or was it three. That is highly trained milkshake combat
    One is one too many, and it is incredible that you have always made it an issue, as though it would benefit me somehow to make stuff up. It's a bloody forum ( why would I feel the need to invent stuff to impress people who run off when you say boo to them?) and you can live in denial as much as you like, but there are plenty of real racists, fascists and Neo-Nazis over here, and I am sure over there. Of course for you it's not a problem, and so it becomes a joke. I mean I could explain to you why it is a bit more serious and unavoidable for me and plenty of other people, but I am pretty sure you have already made your mind up.
    You read too much into that. My mind is made up on very few things, I’m already dressed for the day but I still haven’t decided what to wear

  14. #689
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,157
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1668
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    @Gandalf - serious question, why do you spell like an American? I assume that's how you have to teach? If so, why have they adopted American over English?
    I will answer this question. The reason I spell like an American is because if I spell the word favourite like this, then at this moment in time it has a squiggly red line underneath it which is so aesthetically displeasing that I just feel an automatic need to eradicate it. The system here on Saddo's is itself Americanized. Even Beanz does it a fair bit.

    Nope, I have complete autonomy in how I teach and so whilst public school materials will often be American in style, I generally mix it up and will add a Mum and a flat and lift or what have you and point out spelling differentials. If anything I find a lot of young people prefer British English. They like the sound having experienced years of nasal audio and exaggerated intonation in the American style. A lot of materials these days incorporate a wider range of intonations though. Many youngsters are into films or music and like the romantic notion of what constitutes being English which in reality has of course become something of a myth. Thus trips to Europe or London end up being 'Huh?' Oh well.

    Then again some will prefer the American style as their intent is to work for a US firm here or study in north America. My wife says working for US firms is generally a bit naff though. They don't treat people very well. On the whole though you get plenty of Aussies and Canadians and Brits and Irish all doing their own English thing. We all sound different though and if they wanted America they would only hire Americans. Due to population mass there are more of them but overall a fair balance. 5 English people at my old place actually which is half the team.
    It was an honest question with zero undertone. I've noticed more and more young foreigners speak with American accents, especially Asians (Chinese kind) - doctors, nurses, students, etc. Obviously they are picking up that accent from the films/tv/speak devices they learn from, which I assumed was the reason for your Americanised spelling.

    I'm almost disappointed it's a simple case of your device producing a squiggly red line, however, thank you, as I now know what the squiggly line is (just realised my device is Americanized too.)
    Back when I was working in a backpacker hotel in Athens we'd get loads of Scandanavian teenagers turning up with distinctive American accents. Like you'd go in the bar and be talking to some girl with a strong southern accent and ask her what state she was from and she'd say Öreboro. Turns out loads of Vietnam draft dodgers claimed asylum in Scandanavian countries and became English teachers. Amazing how accents travel.

  15. #690
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    46,725
    Mentioned
    890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3149
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: The Brexit Thread

    When the left actually had sense.....Tony Benn.



    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Brexit ain't gonna happen...
    By ruthless rocco in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-05-2016, 05:13 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-02-2016, 06:22 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2016, 10:47 AM
  4. Replies: 130
    Last Post: 06-25-2016, 11:43 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 08:12 PM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing