Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Welterweight questions for 2020

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    20,862
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1654
    Cool Clicks

    Default Welterweight questions for 2020

    Hopefully 2020 will be a great year for the division, and answer a few questions. Some questions to ponder:

    1. Is Spence really 100% back from his car accident? Will he face any of the other Big Four at welter in 2020?

    2. Will Crawford agree to fight Porter, who seems to be calling him out?

    3. Will Danny get past his January test with Redkach in impressive fashion and set up a Big Four showdown?

    4. Will Pacquiao continue sticking around and try to make it a Big Five at welter?

    5. Will Thurman come back from his hand injury from the Pacquiao fight and remain active? Or will he go back to his previous inactivity?

    6. Will anyone of note invade the division from below or above and become a factor at welter?

    7. Will the fight between Crawford and Spence finally happen at some point, with both still undefeated?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,202
    Mentioned
    1480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2718
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    Will Mikey Garcia see sense and fight at his best weight which is below welterweight?

    Will Khan finally fight Brook so that both can retire in peace?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,578
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    399
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Hopefully 2020 will be a great year for the division, and answer a few questions. Some questions to ponder:

    1. Spence says he doesn’t want a tuneup, he wants a big fight next. We’ll see

    2. Will Crawford agree to fight Porter, who seems to be calling him out? No, TR fighters don’t take fights like that. They are ALL put in very wisely

    3. Will Danny get past his January test with Redkach in impressive fashion and set up a Big Four showdown? Never know with Danny, just when I’m sure he’s overrated he outdoes my expectations

    4. Will Pacquiao continue sticking around and try to make it a Big Five at welter? He has earned the right to pick and choose, but the fact he is picking and choosing makes him irrelevant to me. Just a side piece

    5. Will Thurman come back from his hand injury from the Pacquiao fight and remain active? Or will he go back to his previous inactivity? Thurman is not a fighter, at his core

    6. Will anyone of note invade the division from below or above and become a factor at welter? No

    7. Will the fight between Crawford and Spence finally happen at some point, with both still undefeated?
    I hope so but I think some demons stop it unfortunately. I won’t say what they are because it’s a personal matter and I hope it gets sorted but anyone with knowledge of the 2 fighters can figure it out.

    Since nobody cares about 154(although viewership disagrees, but what do people that watch boxing know, it’s people that talk about boxing that have it all figured out) I’ll mention it here. I’m pumped to see J-Rock take apart Charlo, it’s coming

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    20,862
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1654
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Hopefully 2020 will be a great year for the division, and answer a few questions. Some questions to ponder:

    1. Spence says he doesn’t want a tuneup, he wants a big fight next. We’ll see

    2. Will Crawford agree to fight Porter, who seems to be calling him out? No, TR fighters don’t take fights like that. They are ALL put in very wisely

    3. Will Danny get past his January test with Redkach in impressive fashion and set up a Big Four showdown? Never know with Danny, just when I’m sure he’s overrated he outdoes my expectations

    4. Will Pacquiao continue sticking around and try to make it a Big Five at welter? He has earned the right to pick and choose, but the fact he is picking and choosing makes him irrelevant to me. Just a side piece

    5. Will Thurman come back from his hand injury from the Pacquiao fight and remain active? Or will he go back to his previous inactivity? Thurman is not a fighter, at his core

    6. Will anyone of note invade the division from below or above and become a factor at welter? No

    7. Will the fight between Crawford and Spence finally happen at some point, with both still undefeated?
    I hope so but I think some demons stop it unfortunately. I won’t say what they are because it’s a personal matter and I hope it gets sorted but anyone with knowledge of the 2 fighters can figure it out.

    Since nobody cares about 154(although viewership disagrees, but what do people that watch boxing know, it’s people that talk about boxing that have it all figured out) I’ll mention it here. I’m pumped to see J-Rock take apart Charlo, it’s coming

    Well... it's a thread about welters, but since you brought it up.... yes.... J-Rock vs Charlo is definitely a must-see fight and I wouldn't bet on Charlo on that one. Charlo beat Harrison... but he was woefully losing the fight. Call it lack of concentration or whatever. It was Harrison's fight to lose and yup, he lost it. J-Rock vs Charlo would be a cracking fight, though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,095
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    386
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    I’m not sure what the welterweights will do. I think that Crawford and Porter will end up happening. I think it has to. I’m never sure about Garcia. I would guess that he will try to get a spence fight as long as he wins his next fight. I doubt Pacquiao fights Spence or Crawford unless he sees Spence fight and realizes that he is damaged goods from his accident. And I just assumed that Thurman retired from boxing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,095
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    386
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    And the one welterweight that we aren’t talking about is Ugas. He has a fight scheduled and he has proven to be a solid fighter. Many people thought he beat Porter. Also, Hooker came up to welter and fighters like Ramirez, Taylor, and Prograis I think will all be moving up soon enough.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    20,862
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1654
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I’m not sure what the welterweights will do. I think that Crawford and Porter will end up happening. I think it has to. I’m never sure about Garcia. I would guess that he will try to get a spence fight as long as he wins his next fight. I doubt Pacquiao fights Spence or Crawford unless he sees Spence fight and realizes that he is damaged goods from his accident. And I just assumed that Thurman retired from boxing.

    If Crawford-Porter happens, I'll be squarely in Crawford's corner. Don't know why, but I've never been able to become a fan of Porter's. I hate his style. Some see it as grit and determination... I see it as headlong rushes into the opponent trying to create a WWE atmosphere. Porter's fights are almost always ugly as hell. The day someone KTFO's Porter, he'll win a lot of brownie points with me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,578
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    399
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I’m not sure what the welterweights will do. I think that Crawford and Porter will end up happening. I think it has to. I’m never sure about Garcia. I would guess that he will try to get a spence fight as long as he wins his next fight. I doubt Pacquiao fights Spence or Crawford unless he sees Spence fight and realizes that he is damaged goods from his accident. And I just assumed that Thurman retired from boxing.

    If Crawford-Porter happens, I'll be squarely in Crawford's corner. Don't know why, but I've never been able to become a fan of Porter's. I hate his style. Some see it as grit and determination... I see it as headlong rushes into the opponent trying to create a WWE atmosphere. Porter's fights are almost always ugly as hell. The day someone KTFO's Porter, he'll win a lot of brownie points with me.
    Same about Porter. I should like him, he’ll fight anyone and give 100% win or lose. But his fights are just so ugly.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    12,646
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1045
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    Agree about Porter also, although he could beat anyone on the right night and his desire can never be in question. Surely Pacquiao is already in the big four, was that a typo, or who is ahead of him, Garcia?? Ugas was number one ranked for the WBA last I saw, it won't happen of course but if he got a shot at Manny that's very interesting. Josh Kelly could still get into the picture maybe, he should rematch the guy who should be renamed though.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    20,862
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1654
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    I have to have Danny in there, even though he lost tight decisions to both Thurman and Porter. Make it a Big Five then, because Pacquiao has certainly crashed the party with his win over Thurman. Not sure I'd rush to put Ugas in there at this point though... and that goes for Kelly as well. We'll see how upcoming fights go for both fighters.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,578
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    399
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    Also want to point out since some people like to pretend the PBC stands in the way of fights, not only has Kenny Porter and Shawn Porter said they are willing to fight Crawford, the PBC has openly said they are on board for that as well. So as I said long ago(I know, I tell you all so many things long before it comes true but you like the liars so you listen to them) any propaganda about the PBC standing in the way is BS(I’m like a broken record with how often I tell you all stuff is BS and indeed it is BS)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    38,998
    Mentioned
    342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4734
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Hopefully 2020 will be a great year for the division, and answer a few questions. Some questions to ponder:

    1. Is Spence really 100% back from his car accident? Will he face any of the other Big Four at welter in 2020?

    2. Will Crawford agree to fight Porter, who seems to be calling him out?

    3. Will Danny get past his January test with Redkach in impressive fashion and set up a Big Four showdown?

    4. Will Pacquiao continue sticking around and try to make it a Big Five at welter?

    5. Will Thurman come back from his hand injury from the Pacquiao fight and remain active? Or will he go back to his previous inactivity?

    6. Will anyone of note invade the division from below or above and become a factor at welter?

    7. Will the fight between Crawford and Spence finally happen at some point, with both still undefeated?
    1. Good question. He looked really banged up and speech was off in recent interview but has to be expected. Sounds like he has total intent on in his words 'the big names' and according to him it was supposed to be Danny Garcia in January which would have been superb. He's targeting May but needs to be smart about it. Possibly Ugas who is respectable.

    2. Did an interview on recent Dazn card and totally blew Porter fight off 'not looking at that and nothing is on the table'. Guy needs a direction..quickly.

    3. Can see Danny sparking him in impressive fashion and maybe they'll make him comeback for Spence.

    4. Oh yeh with certainty. Manny is standing in the sunset but you're as good as your last performance and he's one of the few with wide range name recognition.

    5. Being honest Thurman has let a lot of it pass him by and squandered on the sideline, arm this, elbow that, hang nail and corns next who knows. Hope he heals and lights a fire in his belly but not holding my breath.

    6. 147 is a shark tank and it's only deepening. A complete second tier sits ready to spring, Kavaliauskas sure to land another big one, Mikey looking for 1st win, Ugas, Jamal James, Mo Hooker and Prograis likely coming up, Ortiz Jr.. Buckle up it's going to be fun.

    7. Both Crawford and Spence have some steading to do. Spence needs to be real about it and fans can't slag for a moderate return. Crawford seems adrift to me. Needs to sharpen up and appreciate his natural gifts and get back to skill. He fought like a bored fighter taking things for granted last out and got knocked on his arse for it. Need to see Spence first fight back to get an idea.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    351
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    45
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    another question would be how much longer will collazo continue to be a legit gatekeeper?
    Apply shame. Apply fame. The crook and the flail.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    7,009
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    255
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Hopefully 2020 will be a great year for the division, and answer a few questions. Some questions to ponder:

    1. Is Spence really 100% back from his car accident? Will he face any of the other Big Four at welter in 2020?

    2. Will Crawford agree to fight Porter, who seems to be calling him out?

    3. Will Danny get past his January test with Redkach in impressive fashion and set up a Big Four showdown?

    4. Will Pacquiao continue sticking around and try to make it a Big Five at welter?

    5. Will Thurman come back from his hand injury from the Pacquiao fight and remain active? Or will he go back to his previous inactivity?

    6. Will anyone of note invade the division from below or above and become a factor at welter?

    7. Will the fight between Crawford and Spence finally happen at some point, with both still undefeated?
    1. I don't think Spence is 100%. Why do you leave Pacquiao out?

    2. I think Porter/ Crawford gets made.

    3. Garcia destroys Redkach. I wouldn't mind seeing rematches with both Porter and Thurman, if he can't get Spence.

    4. Pacquiao will stick around but I don't see him facing Spence or Crawford.

    5. Thurman will probably have a comeback fight (or 2) then maybe a cashout fight.

    6. I don't think any of the big names at 140 will move up next year. Ramirez is the most likely.

    7. I think it gets made next year.

    I think Vergil Ortiz establishes himself as a major threat to the top guys next year.
    They live, We sleep

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    20,862
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1654
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Welterweight questions for 2020

    In retrospect I should've referred to the Big Five. Pac after all, did beat Thurman.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. BJS and 2020
    By imp in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2019, 06:43 PM
  2. Hillary Clinton to run in 2020
    By brocktonblockbust in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-08-2018, 10:00 AM
  3. Changes could be coming for the 2020 elections
    By TitoFan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-13-2017, 09:52 AM
  4. Old Welterweight/Light-Welterweight/Lightweight threads
    By killersheep in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 275
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 12:48 PM
  5. Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 03:19 PM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing