Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Is McGregor and UFC hurting boxing?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    21,125
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1663
    Cool Clicks

    Default Is McGregor and UFC hurting boxing?

    https://www.businessinsider.com/bala...cgregor-2020-1

    "2 of the world's best boxers are desperate to fight Conor McGregor, proving the balance of power has swung wildly towards UFC and Dana White"



    Floyd fought McGregor. Manny is allegedly in talks to fight McGregor. Crawford wants to fight McGregor. Canelo has expressed interest in the past to fight McGregor.

    WTF is this??

    Don't we have our own sport to look after and follow?



    Ok..... we excused Floyd. He was at the end of his career, and was trying to milk the cash machine for one more big payday, while going for an even 50 victories.

    Manny's at the tail end of HIS career.... although he did beat Thurman last year in a great showing. So if Manny wants to take the McGregor Express for his swan song..... so be it. I hope he smashes McGregor back into UFC exile.

    But Crawford?? The guy hasn't even fought all the good guys at welter...... what we're all waiting impatiently for. And now he's talking McGregor??

    A Canelo-McGregor circus act wouldn't surprise me. Canelo stopped being a legitimate boxer for me a long time ago.



    The article says: "UFC was once the butt of boxing's jokes"

    Well...... at the rate we're going, years from now it could be the other way around.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    59,184
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3005
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is McGregor and UFC hurting boxing?

    UFC shouldn't hurt boxing it should HELP, but boxing's problem is BOXING.


    In boxing the big fights take too long to happen if they happen at all. There's still dodgey judging, there's still dodgey refs. UFC fighters get paid less for now, but the gap is closing and shit man Dana White for as big of a jackass as he is he runs a tight ship.


    Boxing will correct itself only when it absolutely has to.
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    21,125
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1663
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is McGregor and UFC hurting boxing?

    I think as long as high profile boxers continue to give McGregor a seat at the boxing table, it only serves to bring up UFC's stock while bringing boxing's stock down just a little bit.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    59,184
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3005
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is McGregor and UFC hurting boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I think as long as high profile boxers continue to give McGregor a seat at the boxing table, it only serves to bring up UFC's stock while bringing boxing's stock down just a little bit.
    Well then blame Floyd for carrying Conor Mac....that was a sideshow fight.
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    21,125
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1663
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is McGregor and UFC hurting boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I think as long as high profile boxers continue to give McGregor a seat at the boxing table, it only serves to bring up UFC's stock while bringing boxing's stock down just a little bit.
    Well then blame Floyd for carrying Conor Mac....that was a sideshow fight.

    Agreed 100%. Floyd and his defense first style allowed Conor to last for 10 rounds. A false sense of security for McGregor that he can hang with professional boxers. Manny may be a bit long in the tooth... but he would've had Conor back on his heels until the inevitable onslaught that would have put him down. If McConor wanted a seat at the boxing table, Floyd was the perfect opponent for him.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    59,184
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3005
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is McGregor and UFC hurting boxing?

    McGregor isn't even an average boxer....he's an elite MMA fighter, but boxer? Nah man. Now Floyd made mad money and Conor did too, but their fight was more suitable for Wrestlemania than a boxing PPV event.

    Boxing needs to fix boxing....the heavyweights need to fight each other, that's AJ-Wilder-Fury...and on a level below that it's Ruiz-Usyk-Joyce-Dubois-Hrgovic-Ajagba ....if they don't fight each other they lose any momentum. Canelo needs a real challenge and a FAIR FIGHT. Lomachenko needs all the high profile fights he can get. Bud Crawford needs mainstream exposure. Inoue needs more exposure....the holes in the game left by Floyd and Manny need to be filled by younger fighters with something to prove.
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    21,125
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1663
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is McGregor and UFC hurting boxing?

    Canelo may not have been the first..... but he's certainly the one who has ushered in the era of "marinating", jumping divisions to pick off weakened zebra, and all the accompanying bullshit games that have driven people away from boxing.

    This will now become the norm, and bonafide clashes between equally qualified opponents will now happen only by accident.

    Boxing needs to fix boxing, alright. And one of the steps is to quit looking toward the circus acts (ie: McGregor) to further piss off an already disenchanted public.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,296
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1681
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is McGregor and UFC hurting boxing?

    Prizefighters fight for prizes. There's nothing at welterweight other than Crawford Spence that can potentially deliver big PPV sales and nobody even knows about that for certain. Neither guy has done anything substantial on PPV. McGregor could possibly generate a massive payday and a relatively easy fight for either of those guys so of course they're going to want the fight.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Windsor
    Posts
    859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    878
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Is McGregor and UFC hurting boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    https://www.businessinsider.com/bala...cgregor-2020-1

    "2 of the world's best boxers are desperate to fight Conor McGregor, proving the balance of power has swung wildly towards UFC and Dana White"



    Floyd fought McGregor. Manny is allegedly in talks to fight McGregor. Crawford wants to fight McGregor. Canelo has expressed interest in the past to fight McGregor.

    WTF is this??

    Don't we have our own sport to look after and follow?



    Ok..... we excused Floyd. He was at the end of his career, and was trying to milk the cash machine for one more big payday, while going for an even 50 victories.

    Manny's at the tail end of HIS career.... although he did beat Thurman last year in a great showing. So if Manny wants to take the McGregor Express for his swan song..... so be it. I hope he smashes McGregor back into UFC exile.

    But Crawford?? The guy hasn't even fought all the good guys at welter...... what we're all waiting impatiently for. And now he's talking McGregor??

    A Canelo-McGregor circus act wouldn't surprise me. Canelo stopped being a legitimate boxer for me a long time ago.



    The article says: "UFC was once the butt of boxing's jokes"

    Well...... at the rate we're going, years from now it could be the other way around.
    You are 100% right, the UFC myth was busted by Floyd (for a shedload), so its only natural that other proper sporting boxers want to take easy purses against these Pub Fighters. I guess the only way to keep both camps earning money is to stop cross over fights. If they continue it will only bring more disrepute to UFC lads pubfighting.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Hurting hands !
    By Tam Seddon in forum Ask the Trainer
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-18-2013, 02:56 AM
  2. Resolutions: Boxing politics hurting fighters, fans.
    By TheBoxingFanatic in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-13-2013, 04:25 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 11:45 PM
  4. Markus, your hurting your own cause
    By Taeth in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 09:01 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing