Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 211

Thread: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15,027
    Mentioned
    639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    628
    Cool Clicks

    Default If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    So I mentioned prior I collect, repair and sell watches. Because of this I’m on a watchforum. It’s a good group of people very diverse from the 100 dollar seiko collectors to the guys that can drop 75k on a watch and not blink. Yesterday there was a news report that movado watch company is laying off most of their work force and cutting benefits for those left. I started a thread about it on the forum but in the heading I put something like movados reaction to the wuhan virus. Holy shit you wouldn’t believe the shit storm that created. I am racist against Chinese, I’m xenophobic. It got pretty intense. I did explain I had no malicious intent but we were calling this the wuhan virus when it first started then one day it just changed to covid. I explained I still often say wuhan because of that but nope, according to some people I’m racist against Chinese. It then spilled over to a fight betwixt those who knew what I was saying and those who say anyone who says wuhan is a racist or at the very least a dog whistle. Wtf. I asked the mod to lock the thread. He did but got back to me and took my side which I didn’t expect. Damn the world is getting tough it’s way to easy to set people off this wuhan virus is fucking up everything

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    57,853
    Mentioned
    1509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2744
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    Why do you want it called the wuhan virus, if it started in New York would you have called it that virus. As far as I am aware they have never been named in that way. What is wrong with calling it covid virus?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    48,499
    Mentioned
    941 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3196
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    It is not racist to say something factual. If people cannot handle reality, then that is their delusion.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    22,427
    Mentioned
    837 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1069
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    It is not that calling it the Wuhan Virus makes you a racist it is the fact that many racist like your President could not wait to call it the Wuhan or Chinese virus and yet would never have called Swine flu the North Caroline virus or the American Virus. So you can see the people trying to police language are not all on the other side of the see saw to you. Some of them like Grandad Alph are actually trying to get on your lap.
    Hidden Content

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15,027
    Mentioned
    639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    628
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    It is not that calling it the Wuhan Virus makes you a racist it is the fact that many racist like your President could not wait to call it the Wuhan or Chinese virus and yet would never have called Swine flu the North Caroline virus or the American Virus. So you can see the people trying to police language are not all on the other side of the see saw to you. Some of them like Grandad Alph are actually trying to get on your lap.
    Lyme disease is named after a town in my state where the disease was found. We have so many diseases with reference to their origin or where they were found it shouldn’t be a big deal. Trump had reason for mentioning it several times. At that time China was blaming the US for starting the disease and using it as a weapon against China. That was actually reported from the official Chinese news broadcasts to its people. I know my family over there said most people called bullshit, quietly, but no doubt some in China believe that. China let 5 million people leave wuhan area for various parts of the world when they knew exactly what was going on. This is much more of a China virus than just it starting there. To this day they are saying cases in Shanghai, which they report is only a handful, were started by Americans traveling. So fuck China, they have gone so far as to blame Italy when the us thing didn’t stick. It’s the fucking wuhan virus. Now as the world fights the wuhan virus China is beefing up its military presence in the South China Sea running drills. Do you think they give one fuck. They look at this as a chance to expand their power. They are intent on being THE dominant world power. Don’t feel bad or by the bullshit. Trump had very good reason to use those words. Fuck China, don’t buy the bullshit it’s the wuhan virus. China is a beautiful country. The people are amazingly friendly and the food is absolutely amazing but we need to call bullshit on Xi who has a hard on for Mao, one of the biggest killers the world has seen.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15,027
    Mentioned
    639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    628
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Why do you want it called the wuhan virus, if it started in New York would you have called it that virus. As far as I am aware they have never been named in that way. What is wrong with calling it covid virus?
    Because despite being a prick I try to follow the truth

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    59,636
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3026
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    You're not racist or xenophobic for calling it the Wuhan or China/Chinese virus. It's where the virus originated and the government who has lied about it/suppressed information about it.

    China does not house A singular race anymore than any other nation.

    Hope this helps
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15,027
    Mentioned
    639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    628
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    You're not racist or xenophobic for calling it the Wuhan or China/Chinese virus. It's where the virus originated and the government who has lied about it/suppressed information about it.

    China does not house A singular race anymore than any other nation.

    Hope this helps
    Kabonger you wouldn’t believe how people reacted. I don’t think big D would last to long on that watch forum. I’m sure watches are a white supremacy thing anyway. Probably invented by white people so they could be on time for klan meetings

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    59,636
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3026
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    I'm sure the marking of time itself is somehow racist
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    22,427
    Mentioned
    837 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1069
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    It is not that calling it the Wuhan Virus makes you a racist it is the fact that many racist like your President could not wait to call it the Wuhan or Chinese virus and yet would never have called Swine flu the North Caroline virus or the American Virus. So you can see the people trying to police language are not all on the other side of the see saw to you. Some of them like Grandad Alph are actually trying to get on your lap.
    Lyme disease is named after a town in my state where the disease was found. We have so many diseases with reference to their origin or where they were found it shouldn’t be a big deal. Trump had reason for mentioning it several times. At that time China was blaming the US for starting the disease and using it as a weapon against China. That was actually reported from the official Chinese news broadcasts to its people. I know my family over there said most people called bullshit, quietly, but no doubt some in China believe that. China let 5 million people leave wuhan area for various parts of the world when they knew exactly what was going on. This is much more of a China virus than just it starting there. To this day they are saying cases in Shanghai, which they report is only a handful, were started by Americans traveling. So fuck China, they have gone so far as to blame Italy when the us thing didn’t stick. It’s the fucking wuhan virus. Now as the world fights the wuhan virus China is beefing up its military presence in the South China Sea running drills. Do you think they give one fuck. They look at this as a chance to expand their power. They are intent on being THE dominant world power. Don’t feel bad or by the bullshit. Trump had very good reason to use those words. Fuck China, don’t buy the bullshit it’s the wuhan virus. China is a beautiful country. The people are amazingly friendly and the food is absolutely amazing but we need to call bullshit on Xi who has a hard on for Mao, one of the biggest killers the world has seen.

    But then if you are really serious you have to call out America and your Dictator/King/President (his words) for the same shit. Nobody blames the American people unless they try and pretend that not supporting Trump is 'being political' but supporting him isn't. The last thing the world needs is a dominant world power and especially one with only a state sponsored media which is the way both the UK and the USA is headed. We currently have the most racist Prime Minister in our history (and that is quite a well attended race) but even he is not calling it the Wuhan Virus. Now you can call it what you want but the fact remains that people will use that term and weaponize it. Look how here the 'open borders' trope was rushed out seconds after news spread and yet how the same tabloid Youtube watching imbecile was at the same time very quick to call anything that linked the spread of the disease to social gatherings (not least the 40 000 families attending the Lunar Banquets in Wuhan) 'fear porn'.
    Hidden Content

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15,027
    Mentioned
    639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    628
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    It is not that calling it the Wuhan Virus makes you a racist it is the fact that many racist like your President could not wait to call it the Wuhan or Chinese virus and yet would never have called Swine flu the North Caroline virus or the American Virus. So you can see the people trying to police language are not all on the other side of the see saw to you. Some of them like Grandad Alph are actually trying to get on your lap.
    Lyme disease is named after a town in my state where the disease was found. We have so many diseases with reference to their origin or where they were found it shouldn’t be a big deal. Trump had reason for mentioning it several times. At that time China was blaming the US for starting the disease and using it as a weapon against China. That was actually reported from the official Chinese news broadcasts to its people. I know my family over there said most people called bullshit, quietly, but no doubt some in China believe that. China let 5 million people leave wuhan area for various parts of the world when they knew exactly what was going on. This is much more of a China virus than just it starting there. To this day they are saying cases in Shanghai, which they report is only a handful, were started by Americans traveling. So fuck China, they have gone so far as to blame Italy when the us thing didn’t stick. It’s the fucking wuhan virus. Now as the world fights the wuhan virus China is beefing up its military presence in the South China Sea running drills. Do you think they give one fuck. They look at this as a chance to expand their power. They are intent on being THE dominant world power. Don’t feel bad or by the bullshit. Trump had very good reason to use those words. Fuck China, don’t buy the bullshit it’s the wuhan virus. China is a beautiful country. The people are amazingly friendly and the food is absolutely amazing but we need to call bullshit on Xi who has a hard on for Mao, one of the biggest killers the world has seen.

    But then if you are really serious you have to call out America and your Dictator/King/President (his words) for the same shit. Nobody blames the American people unless they try and pretend that not supporting Trump is 'being political' but supporting him isn't. The last thing the world needs is a dominant world power and especially one with only a state sponsored media which is the way both the UK and the USA is headed. We currently have the most racist Prime Minister in our history (and that is quite a well attended race) but even he is not calling it the Wuhan Virus. Now you can call it what you want but the fact remains that people will use that term and weaponize it. Look how here the 'open borders' trope was rushed out seconds after news spread and yet how the same tabloid Youtube watching imbecile was at the same time very quick to call anything that linked the spread of the disease to social gatherings (not least the 40 000 families attending the Lunar Banquets in Wuhan) 'fear porn'.
    If we have to have a world power, which we do, always have, I didn’t make the system. Would you prefer it be China? And believe it or not beaner my list of gripes with the US is probably ten times longer than yours.
    Last edited by walrus; 04-05-2020 at 04:58 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Edge Of Nowhere
    Posts
    22,427
    Mentioned
    837 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1069
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    It is not that calling it the Wuhan Virus makes you a racist it is the fact that many racist like your President could not wait to call it the Wuhan or Chinese virus and yet would never have called Swine flu the North Caroline virus or the American Virus. So you can see the people trying to police language are not all on the other side of the see saw to you. Some of them like Grandad Alph are actually trying to get on your lap.
    Lyme disease is named after a town in my state where the disease was found. We have so many diseases with reference to their origin or where they were found it shouldn’t be a big deal. Trump had reason for mentioning it several times. At that time China was blaming the US for starting the disease and using it as a weapon against China. That was actually reported from the official Chinese news broadcasts to its people. I know my family over there said most people called bullshit, quietly, but no doubt some in China believe that. China let 5 million people leave wuhan area for various parts of the world when they knew exactly what was going on. This is much more of a China virus than just it starting there. To this day they are saying cases in Shanghai, which they report is only a handful, were started by Americans traveling. So fuck China, they have gone so far as to blame Italy when the us thing didn’t stick. It’s the fucking wuhan virus. Now as the world fights the wuhan virus China is beefing up its military presence in the South China Sea running drills. Do you think they give one fuck. They look at this as a chance to expand their power. They are intent on being THE dominant world power. Don’t feel bad or by the bullshit. Trump had very good reason to use those words. Fuck China, don’t buy the bullshit it’s the wuhan virus. China is a beautiful country. The people are amazingly friendly and the food is absolutely amazing but we need to call bullshit on Xi who has a hard on for Mao, one of the biggest killers the world has seen.

    But then if you are really serious you have to call out America and your Dictator/King/President (his words) for the same shit. Nobody blames the American people unless they try and pretend that not supporting Trump is 'being political' but supporting him isn't. The last thing the world needs is a dominant world power and especially one with only a state sponsored media which is the way both the UK and the USA is headed. We currently have the most racist Prime Minister in our history (and that is quite a well attended race) but even he is not calling it the Wuhan Virus. Now you can call it what you want but the fact remains that people will use that term and weaponize it. Look how here the 'open borders' trope was rushed out seconds after news spread and yet how the same tabloid Youtube watching imbecile was at the same time very quick to call anything that linked the spread of the disease to social gatherings (not least the 40 000 families attending the Lunar Banquets in Wuhan) 'fear porn'.
    If we have to have a world power, which we do, always have, I didn’t make the system. Would you prefer it be China? And believe it or not beaner my list of gripes with the US is probably ten times longer than yours.
    God no. Empires are always a bad idea. Capitalist or Communist they are not the way the future, if there is going to be one, will pan out. Things will have to change radically.
    Hidden Content

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    21,664
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1686
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    To answer the thread title... no... if you say wuhan virus doesn't necessarily mean you're racist or xenophobic.

    It's just a name, ffs. You don't hear anyone asking the same questions about the Spanish Flu of 1918. Probably because people didn't concern themselves with such nonsense back in those days.

    Here's what I think.

    If you say Wuhan virus and you're already a racist or a xenophobic, then you're racist or xenophobic.

    If you say Wuhan virus and you're not..... then you're not.

    Simple but does the job.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15,027
    Mentioned
    639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    628
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    Well damn speaking of China I just read the government reports 205 million people having trouble finding work now that wuhan virus restrictions are being lifted. So if China admits to 205 million could be close to 300 million. That isn’t good China has a type of unemployment but it’s only accessible to certain people. There really aren’t many safety nets. That is a large number to be concerned about China will have to think of something they have a very big fear of social unrest

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    39,610
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4762
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: If you say wuhan virus you are a racist and xenophobic

    Have not heard it called that until now. At least with Coronavirus you got some pretty cool beer memes out of it . Given the actual impact and death toll what it actually makes you sound like isn't at the top of the cares list. But fact is loons and kooks can grab onto labels and stereotypes like "Chinese Virus" and stab Asian families in a Texas grocery store, including a 2 year old. We should start naming all of our imports after the Cities where they are manufactured for kicks. Man that would be an eye opener.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Are u getting wuhan virus overload
    By walrus in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-18-2020, 02:37 AM
  2. Hmm.....Virus
    By Spicoli in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 01:01 AM
  3. MSN virus?
    By El Gamo in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-06-2007, 01:32 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing