Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    21,661
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1686
    Cool Clicks

    Default What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    When things get back to somewhat normal.... what effect, if any, will this break have had on boxing in general and on fighters in particular?

    • Will social distancing measures remain in arenas/venues?
    • Will cornermen, referees, and others in close promixity wear masks? Will it be obligatory?
    • What fighters have continued training and sparring? What fighters have not?
    • What impact will this have on televised and/or streamed fights?
    • Will boxing in general become more popular? Less? No change?



    I'd be in favor of social distancing as well as other measures in arenas/venues for awhile. It's not gonna kill anyone to watch fights with a mask on and occupying every other seat.

    I'd also be in favor of obligatory masks for corner people and referees.

    I'm hoping against hope that mainstream TV recommits to boxing. It's not like jammed baseball/soccer/football stadiums are coming right back. There's profits to be made from boxing if handled properly by the networks.

    For the same reasons, I'd think a sports-hungry public would "flock" (figuratively speaking, of course ) to a well-managed boxing comeback.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montreal/Canada
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    954
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    When things get back to somewhat normal.... what effect, if any, will this break have had on boxing in general and on fighters in particular?

    • Will social distancing measures remain in arenas/venues?
    • Will cornermen, referees, and others in close promixity wear masks? Will it be obligatory?
    • What fighters have continued training and sparring? What fighters have not?
    • What impact will this have on televised and/or streamed fights?
    • Will boxing in general become more popular? Less? No change?



    I'd be in favor of social distancing as well as other measures in arenas/venues for awhile. It's not gonna kill anyone to watch fights with a mask on and occupying every other seat.

    I'd also be in favor of obligatory masks for corner people and referees.

    I'm hoping against hope that mainstream TV recommits to boxing. It's not like jammed baseball/soccer/football stadiums are coming right back. There's profits to be made from boxing if handled properly by the networks.

    For the same reasons, I'd think a sports-hungry public would "flock" (figuratively speaking, of course ) to a well-managed boxing comeback.
    What about the fighters, they should wear masks too ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    21,661
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1686
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    Quote Originally Posted by iwng100 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    When things get back to somewhat normal.... what effect, if any, will this break have had on boxing in general and on fighters in particular?

    • Will social distancing measures remain in arenas/venues?
    • Will cornermen, referees, and others in close promixity wear masks? Will it be obligatory?
    • What fighters have continued training and sparring? What fighters have not?
    • What impact will this have on televised and/or streamed fights?
    • Will boxing in general become more popular? Less? No change?



    I'd be in favor of social distancing as well as other measures in arenas/venues for awhile. It's not gonna kill anyone to watch fights with a mask on and occupying every other seat.

    I'd also be in favor of obligatory masks for corner people and referees.

    I'm hoping against hope that mainstream TV recommits to boxing. It's not like jammed baseball/soccer/football stadiums are coming right back. There's profits to be made from boxing if handled properly by the networks.

    For the same reasons, I'd think a sports-hungry public would "flock" (figuratively speaking, of course ) to a well-managed boxing comeback.
    What about the fighters, they should wear masks too ?

    Only the B-side fighters, I imagine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    McAllen, Texas?
    Posts
    5,228
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    938
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    They had fights in Nicaragua over the weekend. People in the ring before and after the fight were wearing masks but I only saw 2 pictures.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    21,661
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1686
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    They had fights in Nicaragua over the weekend. People in the ring before and after the fight were wearing masks but I only saw 2 pictures.

    Yeah, I saw that. I imagine when it starts up again stateside they'll have some social distancing measures implemented as well.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    360
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    10
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    Boxing is a physical sport. That means sweat, spit, close clinches, blood, a no no for a social distance set up.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1,246
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    74
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    Quote Originally Posted by iwng100 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    When things get back to somewhat normal.... what effect, if any, will this break have had on boxing in general and on fighters in particular?

    • Will social distancing measures remain in arenas/venues?
    • Will cornermen, referees, and others in close promixity wear masks? Will it be obligatory?
    • What fighters have continued training and sparring? What fighters have not?
    • What impact will this have on televised and/or streamed fights?
    • Will boxing in general become more popular? Less? No change?



    I'd be in favor of social distancing as well as other measures in arenas/venues for awhile. It's not gonna kill anyone to watch fights with a mask on and occupying every other seat.

    I'd also be in favor of obligatory masks for corner people and referees.

    I'm hoping against hope that mainstream TV recommits to boxing. It's not like jammed baseball/soccer/football stadiums are coming right back. There's profits to be made from boxing if handled properly by the networks.

    For the same reasons, I'd think a sports-hungry public would "flock" (figuratively speaking, of course ) to a well-managed boxing comeback.
    What about the fighters, they should wear masks too ?
    a punch could kill them at anytime, i doubt they have any fear of bullshit
    Apply shame. Apply fame. The crook and the flail.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    39,610
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4762
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    Quote Originally Posted by iwng100 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    When things get back to somewhat normal.... what effect, if any, will this break have had on boxing in general and on fighters in particular?

    • Will social distancing measures remain in arenas/venues?
    • Will cornermen, referees, and others in close promixity wear masks? Will it be obligatory?
    • What fighters have continued training and sparring? What fighters have not?
    • What impact will this have on televised and/or streamed fights?
    • Will boxing in general become more popular? Less? No change?



    I'd be in favor of social distancing as well as other measures in arenas/venues for awhile. It's not gonna kill anyone to watch fights with a mask on and occupying every other seat.

    I'd also be in favor of obligatory masks for corner people and referees.

    I'm hoping against hope that mainstream TV recommits to boxing. It's not like jammed baseball/soccer/football stadiums are coming right back. There's profits to be made from boxing if handled properly by the networks.

    For the same reasons, I'd think a sports-hungry public would "flock" (figuratively speaking, of course ) to a well-managed boxing comeback.
    What about the fighters, they should wear masks too ?
    Frankie was a trail blazer

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    48,483
    Mentioned
    941 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3196
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    Deontay Wilder costumes for all during fights is my guess. His career is over.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWNc_AZewu7AAERwCfLfupUZIJSbzqC MgjXFbc0u9YrZkuInoB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,617
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    418
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    Over 55k dead and we’re opening back up. My state opens tomorrow (pray for me if you believe in such things). Death projection models are already moving back up. Point being if our government is going to kill us they should allow us to be entertained. Our federal government sent out instructions for our states that only told them to do what they were doing so I guess the instructions are to be used to start a fire to burn the bodies.

    Edit-over 59k dead

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    360
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    10
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    Case in point brother. My state is open up for restaurants, but I said to some (last night OK) HOW can people eat in restaurants with their MASKS ON? The devils who run things only care about money plain, and simple. Open up, yes get the dollars flowing die of coronavirus -- who got caught eating in a buffet with even 50 per cent of capacity. Not me.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,617
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    418
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Case in point brother. My state is open up for restaurants, but I said to some (last night OK) HOW can people eat in restaurants with their MASKS ON? The devils who run things only care about money plain, and simple. Open up, yes get the dollars flowing die of coronavirus -- who got caught eating in a buffet with even 50 per cent of capacity. Not me.
    It’s really quite shocking. They’re literally gauging how comfortable we are with death and adjusting policies by our levels of comfort. It’s not “save every life you can” it’s “how many dead will they accept”. Is 14k more dead okay to open a week earlier? It is, okay, kill them. When we are comfortable with this new 74k number they will adjust that up too. Then they will just say the projections were wrong. We’re already seeing it. The president today “well the early projections were 2-3 million” yeah, so we adjusted our behavior. “Then it was 100 thousand to 200 thousand” yeah, so we adjusted our behavior. We got it down to 60 thousand and now we are adjusting our behavior in the wrong direction. I just hope the rest of the word is smarter than we are, it’s not asking much. They should see how quickly the numbers can change because it just happened! February 28th the president said “It’s 15, it will be zero soon, we’ve done a great job”. Have we really forgotten this in 2 months?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1,246
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    74
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Case in point brother. My state is open up for restaurants, but I said to some (last night OK) HOW can people eat in restaurants with their MASKS ON? The devils who run things only care about money plain, and simple. Open up, yes get the dollars flowing die of coronavirus -- who got caught eating in a buffet with even 50 per cent of capacity. Not me.
    It’s really quite shocking. They’re literally gauging how comfortable we are with death and adjusting policies by our levels of comfort. It’s not “save every life you can” it’s “how many dead will they accept”. Is 14k more dead okay to open a week earlier? It is, okay, kill them. When we are comfortable with this new 74k number they will adjust that up too. Then they will just say the projections were wrong. We’re already seeing it. The president today “well the early projections were 2-3 million” yeah, so we adjusted our behavior. “Then it was 100 thousand to 200 thousand” yeah, so we adjusted our behavior. We got it down to 60 thousand and now we are adjusting our behavior in the wrong direction. I just hope the rest of the word is smarter than we are, it’s not asking much. They should see how quickly the numbers can change because it just happened! February 28th the president said “It’s 15, it will be zero soon, we’ve done a great job”. Have we really forgotten this in 2 months?
    there has always been a cure for hunger. It’s not “save every life you can” it’s “how many dead will they accept”
    Apply shame. Apply fame. The crook and the flail.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    39,610
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4762
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    I think we're going to get a lot of fighters initially coming back in higher divisions and see more than a few 'upsets'. Can also see them permanently lining the press row in splash guard shields and refs in face shields. If they can attempt goofy Jack Reiss wearing headband and bowtie cams..they can wear blast shields. Might actually be good to make refs faceless .

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    McAllen, Texas?
    Posts
    5,228
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    938
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What effect will this break have on boxing and individual boxers?

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    They had fights in Nicaragua over the weekend. People in the ring before and after the fight were wearing masks but I only saw 2 pictures.

    Yeah, I saw that. I imagine when it starts up again stateside they'll have some social distancing measures implemented as well.
    I posted on another thread that Top Rank is looking to start up in June, doing fights with no audience, two shows a week on ESPN and the ESPN app.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. How do you cope with boxing's summer break?
    By superheavyrhun in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-23-2016, 09:43 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2014, 04:40 PM
  3. If youwere to break up boxing into two slices...
    By Taeth in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 03:20 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing