Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Remedial Math for Boxers

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    22,691
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1727
    Cool Clicks

    Default Remedial Math for Boxers

    First off... last night's boxing card was GREAT! Keep 'em coming, ESPN!

    The main event was good... and frankly I'm glad Teo won. Not because I dislike Loma, but because it's good to have a shakeup in the ranks sometimes. Stokes fan interest that much more.

    But TBH, Loma giving away the first 7 rounds of the fight was downright puzzling.

    I mean... he KNEW it was a 12-rounder................... right?



    So... without picking expressly on Loma (many others have done it also), I'd like to offer some remedial math for their benefit.

    Let's begin:

    12 - 7 = 5

    5 < 7



    Math problem for elementary school:

    So Loma has 12 rounds and gives 7 to Teo. How many does he have left?

    In the end, who has more rounds... Loma? or Teo?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,678
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2781
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    I have not watched the fight but for a top class fighter to give so many rounds to another top class fighter is suicide. Think Hagler did it against Leonard by fighting orthodox. Quigg miscalculated against Frampton but very rare for it to happen.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,849
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    659
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    I think it goes to show that Loma is an entitled bitch.
    Like trying to win a title in his 2nd fight, and getting schooled by a crude veteran.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    4,314
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    941
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    Margarito Williams went almost the same way marg slept 6 rounds win next 5 lost the 12th for clear 7 5 loss of I remember

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    This Lunatic Asylum
    Posts
    23,250
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2882
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    Dozens and dozens of fans/boxers/pundits/journos scored the 2nd, 6th and 7th rounds for Loma. Scoring is all in the eye of the beholder.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    22,691
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1727
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    Source?

    "Dozens and dozens" is a lot of people.

    I tried but couldn't find like in the past where you could see how different boxing experts had scored a fight.

    If push came to shove, I could see the 7th. But before that? Don't see how anyone could give Loma a round when he did absolutely zilch.

    Even with Rounds 1 through 6, and then 12, Lopez takes a narrow victory.

    Loma miscalculated... plain and simple.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    This Lunatic Asylum
    Posts
    23,250
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2882
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    Through social media and Youtube boxing channels/community there are thousands of comments - fighters/journos/fans. My point is not Teo lost but if you break it down to specific rounds then not everyone reached Teo winning the same way. This is the exact same for every fight scored.

    My point is the way boxing is scored is really flawed. It lends itself to all the "robberies" and "terrible" cards we see "every" fight.

    We didn't need rd-by-rd scoring to know Teo won this fight. He looked in control for the majority and was the stronger throughout. However, break it down to rounds won and 6-6 is perfectly reasonable using the scorecards of people who believe Teo won 9-3 or 8-4 or 7-5 as not everyone reached their score the same way.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    22,691
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1727
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Through social media and Youtube boxing channels/community there are thousands of comments - fighters/journos/fans. My point is not Teo lost but if you break it down to specific rounds then not everyone reached Teo winning the same way. This is the exact same for every fight scored.

    My point is the way boxing is scored is really flawed. It lends itself to all the "robberies" and "terrible" cards we see "every" fight.

    We didn't need rd-by-rd scoring to know Teo won this fight. He looked in control for the majority and was the stronger throughout. However, break it down to rounds won and 6-6 is perfectly reasonable using the scorecards of people who believe Teo won 9-3 or 8-4 or 7-5 as not everyone reached their score the same way.

    The way boxing is scored is flawed, I think most of us agree. I also think the fight wasn't as wide as one of the scorecards reflected. But one way scoring is flawed is because of the very reason judges for trials are screened in an effort to get them as unbiased as possible. If a judge goes in there with the mentality that any flurry or combination by let's say Loma, in this case, is enough to win him the round... then that's a judge given to flawed scoring right there. I thought (IMO) that Loma did absolutely zilch for at least 6 rounds. A judge may have given him the 2nd... let's say. But why? Replay the round and you'll find Loma continuing his "study" of Lopez, who continued coming forward and throwing the vast majority of punches in the round, whether a large portion of them connected or not.

    Round 7 is where Loma probably figured out (duh) that he was losing the fight. Who won that round is definitely (again) a matter of personal opinion, based on what factors you use to score a round. Personally... I still gave it to Lopez. Rounds 8 through 11 were clear Loma rounds for me. Had Round 12 been a clear Loma round... we would've had a full-fledged controversy on our hands, no matter who the decision favored.

    But yeah... the way boxing is scored is fundamentally flawed. I would offer a few "mistakes" judges tend to make.

    1. Many don't view rounds in a vacuum. In other words... if so-and-so has won every single round from the beginning of the fight, and the other guy somehow steals a round... some judges will ignore that and stay with the "momentum."

    2. Bias. Let's face it... we all have it to a certain extent. But judges are supposed to be as unbiased as possible, and just score what's going on in front of them. A tall order, but something that would make judging more fair and competent.

    3. Differences in what judges consider important. Some favor the aggressive guy who continuously comes forward, disregarding number of punches connected. Some get swayed by pretty-looking flurries... regardless of whether they actually connected or not. Yet others can't seem to keep track of time. One guy dominates for 2 and a half minutes... but the last 30 seconds go to the other guy. Some judges forget the round was 3 minutes.


    Anyway, yeah... I think most will agree Teo won the fight. Of course I've seen plenty of "experts" in Facebook claiming Loma was robbed.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,512
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    438
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    I’ll still go on the record saying that 6-6 is more ridiculous than 11-1

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,512
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    438
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    A lot of people and judges score rounds for a fighter because they did much better than previous rounds. Like round 8. Almost everyone was in agreement that Loma won that round. After that round, I said that it was very close but I gave it to Loma. Punch stats indicate that it was an even round (I know punch stats aren’t a great indicator). But the reason almost everyone gave it to Loma is because it was the first round that he did anything basically. If the tables were turned and Lopez did nothing for the first 7 rounds, I’m guessing that most people would have given Lopez that round.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Uttar Pradesh, India
    Posts
    2,550
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    61
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    this thread has 2 directions now. It started out by stating boxers need to keep better arithmetic tally of the rounds as they are going by (and losing them!).... but now it looks like it is focused on the SCORING of the fight..... 2 diff things for sure, but Im still tempted to follow along on the 2nd issue, the scoring..... I guess it is all tied together. I'll just state that the announcers in the 9th round were BOTH already stating that Loma "had won the last 2 rounds" ---- and this was DURING the 9th round! I thought "WTF, he didnt win the 7th", yet they both had it down as a given, like it was so clear he had def won the 7th. Its almost like there's a pre-existing "given" built-in for announcers/judges..... bottom line, he threw away (euphemistically) o f the first 7 rounds..... knowing there were 12. He must have been praying for a KO, but No way was he expecting a knockout, he hadnt landed shit and thats alot of eggs in one shrinking basket.

    Either thats just bad arithmetic, or...... he COULDNT get inside because Lopez's strength was such a factor..... I guess it was a bit of both. Lopez started doing a George Foreman kind of shove in the 2nd half of the fight, very effective, and was never warned that I saw.
    Last edited by NoSavingByTheBell; 10-19-2020 at 11:01 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,106
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    428
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    Typical LOMA. Slow starter. I'd wager he wanted and tried to turn it on around 5th round, not 7th. The problem was Lopez didn't comply. And for the 1st time, I saw Loma calculate late in the fight which was the 12th round. he came out to take the 12th but damn Lopez didnt listen to daddy and bit down on that mouthpiece and forced Lomechenko to go back to boxing. He wanted that 12th, he looked damn good in the 10th solid in the 11th but Lopez wasn't having it final round. Just a dominant finish Teo.
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 10-22-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    22,691
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1727
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    this thread has 2 directions now. It started out by stating boxers need to keep better arithmetic tally of the rounds as they are going by (and losing them!).... but now it looks like it is focused on the SCORING of the fight..... 2 diff things for sure, but Im still tempted to follow along on the 2nd issue, the scoring..... I guess it is all tied together.

    Well... thanks for bringing that up. I figured there would be enough of the obligatory "scoring" threads, and wanted this one to go in a specific direction.

    My tongue-in-cheek comment being that if you're a professional fighter... and are in full knowledge that the fight is slated for 12 rounds... it seems pretty damn silly to just give away the first 7 rounds, unless you're damn certain you're going to score a knockout or at least several knockdowns.

    The point someone made about it being Lopez who didn't allow Loma to get off the starting blocks is well taken. Except that it doesn't change the reality of it being a 12-round fight and if you've given away the first 7 there's no chance in hell you're gonna win a decision.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Uttar Pradesh, India
    Posts
    2,550
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    61
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    this thread has 2 directions now. It started out by stating boxers need to keep better arithmetic tally of the rounds as they are going by (and losing them!).... but now it looks like it is focused on the SCORING of the fight..... 2 diff things for sure, but Im still tempted to follow along on the 2nd issue, the scoring..... I guess it is all tied together.

    Well... thanks for bringing that up. I figured there would be enough of the obligatory "scoring" threads, and wanted this one to go in a specific direction.

    My tongue-in-cheek comment being that if you're a professional fighter... and are in full knowledge that the fight is slated for 12 rounds... it seems pretty damn silly to just give away the first 7 rounds, unless you're damn certain you're going to score a knockout or at least several knockdowns.

    The point someone made about it being Lopez who didn't allow Loma to get off the starting blocks is well taken. Except that it doesn't change the reality of it being a 12-round fight and if you've given away the first 7 there's no chance in hell you're gonna win a decision.
    Recently I have noticed more and more fighters losing track of what round it was. Over the past 12 months or so there have been countless times in the corner when a fighter will ask what round it is. More than usual in my opinion far more frequently than I remember. So I think we also have to add in the advice to fighters or to their corner men, to make sure they tell the fighter what round it is DURING EVERY 60 SECOND BREAK, to keep updating them on the number of the round. Perhaps this will help them with their arithmetic. I mean what if a fighter truly believes theyre heading into the 7th round when in fact they are really heading into the 9th round? He will think he has much more time to mount his comeback.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    22,691
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1727
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Remedial Math for Boxers

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    this thread has 2 directions now. It started out by stating boxers need to keep better arithmetic tally of the rounds as they are going by (and losing them!).... but now it looks like it is focused on the SCORING of the fight..... 2 diff things for sure, but Im still tempted to follow along on the 2nd issue, the scoring..... I guess it is all tied together.

    Well... thanks for bringing that up. I figured there would be enough of the obligatory "scoring" threads, and wanted this one to go in a specific direction.

    My tongue-in-cheek comment being that if you're a professional fighter... and are in full knowledge that the fight is slated for 12 rounds... it seems pretty damn silly to just give away the first 7 rounds, unless you're damn certain you're going to score a knockout or at least several knockdowns.

    The point someone made about it being Lopez who didn't allow Loma to get off the starting blocks is well taken. Except that it doesn't change the reality of it being a 12-round fight and if you've given away the first 7 there's no chance in hell you're gonna win a decision.
    Recently I have noticed more and more fighters losing track of what round it was. Over the past 12 months or so there have been countless times in the corner when a fighter will ask what round it is. More than usual in my opinion far more frequently than I remember. So I think we also have to add in the advice to fighters or to their corner men, to make sure they tell the fighter what round it is DURING EVERY 60 SECOND BREAK, to keep updating them on the number of the round. Perhaps this will help them with their arithmetic. I mean what if a fighter truly believes theyre heading into the 7th round when in fact they are really heading into the 9th round? He will think he has much more time to mount his comeback.

    Good point. Hell... Tom Brady forgot what down it was in a recent NFL game.

    Ok then... what about those ring card girls?

    Maybe they should make a brief stop at each corner and make sure they put the round number in front of them.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Pac vs Floyd - let's do the math
    By Mars_ax in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 04:29 PM
  2. Math and Boxing Across the Years
    By marbleheadmaui in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 01:53 AM
  3. *video* Lesnar coach talks Velsaquez and carwin fight after math
    By mellamomarcos in forum Mixed Martial Arts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 06:22 PM
  4. Archie Bunker -- Math Clip
    By BoxingGorilla in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 02:32 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Saddo Boxing - Boxing