Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Can anyone suggest the best exercise for a boxer

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Can anyone suggest the best exercise for a boxer

    I am doing boxing training. Looking for some advice on the best exercises to build my strength as a boxer.
    Last edited by Ciara17; 11-27-2020 at 12:23 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    11,770
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2058
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Can anyone suggest the best exercise for a boxer

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciara17 View Post
    I am doing boxing training. Looking for some advice on the best exercises to build my strength as a boxer.
    Hi Ciara17.

    I haven't posted on here in some time, but I will try and answer your question.

    But first of all, at what stage are you i.e. how much experience do you have?
    I don't want to insult you if you are an experienced boxer, but as a caution I will approach this as if you were a complete beginner.

    In boxing, the most important aspect of you training is the technique of boxing itself. (Second place I would say is conditioning and endurance.)
    Strength, speed, agility and other aspects of athleticism will only enhance the skillset you have and cannot compensate for whatever technical deficiencies a boxer may have.

    Maximal strength is not paramount to a boxer's skillset, as maximal strength often avails of the slow-twitch muscle fibres to grind out heavy movements.
    Power is more valuable: to have the ability to explode with your movements, whether it be your footwork or your punches.
    Finally power endurance is the ability to perform strong-explosive movements over a prolonged period of time e.g. in a fight situation.


    So... to address your question: Maximal Strength is developed first, which then can be transformed into power and improved further into explosive power.
    Strength - the base of the pyramid - is developed using heavy compound movements which strengthen the body as a whole.
    Typical exercises include:

    Squats,
    Deadlifts,
    Benchpress,
    Pushups
    OH Press,
    Pullups

    To begin with exercises are not sports specific - you just try and build a better vehicle with which you learn to box.
    091

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,864
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    462
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Can anyone suggest the best exercise for a boxer

    If Donny's doesn't get you results there are a few others you can try.
    Buy referee.
    Fight exclusively at home.
    Have relatives become judges.
    Mix the black bottle.
    Take lining out of gloves.
    Or simply add plaster!



    Cheers!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    309
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Can anyone suggest the best exercise for a boxer

    can you get into a boxing ring and circle to your left? all of your boxing knowledge will begin when someone teaches you how to circle to your left - how to do it, and how to stop someone from doing it to you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    11,770
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2058
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Can anyone suggest the best exercise for a boxer

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    can you get into a boxing ring and circle to your left? all of your boxing knowledge will begin when someone teaches you how to circle to your left - how to do it, and how to stop someone from doing it to you.
    Circle to you left?
    As in directly into the right hand of an orthodox opponent.

    Yuzo stop. Please, just stop.
    091

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    309
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Can anyone suggest the best exercise for a boxer

    Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    Circle to you left?
    As in directly into the right hand of an orthodox opponent.
    thats right.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    11,770
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2058
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Can anyone suggest the best exercise for a boxer

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    Circle to you left?
    As in directly into the right hand of an orthodox opponent.
    thats right.
    I can only assume you're trolling at a really high level.
    091

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    309
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Can anyone suggest the best exercise for a boxer

    Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    I can only assume you're trolling at a really high level.
    why do you say that?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    11,770
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2058
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Can anyone suggest the best exercise for a boxer

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    I can only assume you're trolling at a really high level.
    why do you say that?
    Because nobody teaches a beginner to move toward the opponent's power.
    091

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    309
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Can anyone suggest the best exercise for a boxer

    Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    Because nobody teaches a beginner to move toward the opponent's power.
    I think its important.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    11,770
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2058
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Can anyone suggest the best exercise for a boxer

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    Because nobody teaches a beginner to move toward the opponent's power.
    I think its important.
    Ok
    091

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-13-2015, 10:25 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 07:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Saddo Boxing - Boxing