Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,462
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    445
    Cool Clicks

    Default Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    Similar to a game thread @NoSavingByTheBell did, each poster responded to the prior poster's question. The point is to see what do we know of fighters off the top, no search!

    Without using any info, internet search, what would be your bio on a boxer? Raw data meaning no adjectives, opinions, just rate them on your stats, fights, rounds. When you respond to the fighter given to you, then give the next poster a name for them.



    I chose for the next poster Salvador Sanchez!

    This poster (only) please give 2 names. One for the person after you & one for me, so I get the same task!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Uttar Pradesh, India
    Posts
    3,141
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    82
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    excellent conceptual thread and it will go very gingerly..... who will bite the bait and put their neck out on the line? Salvador Sanchez, ....... hmmmmm.......

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,605
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    452
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    I’m confused what this means. Maybe give an example of what you are trying to get at

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    41,017
    Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4820
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    Salvador Sanchez: Great hair . Off the top no cheats, died way to young at 24. Won Featherweight title in brutal war with Little Red Lopez. Quality power, fast hands and a good beard. Promoted by Don King..I think. Ummmm defenses . Won rematch with Lopez by ko. Defended against Juan Laporte in a shoot out. Staked his super fight claim to fame knocking out tough as nails undefeated former Spr bantam champ Wilfredo Gomez. Was actually the underdog. He had arrived! Fought little to not known Azumah Nelson in a war. Stopped the future hall of famer and great fighter..only man to do so.. in the 15th round and was killed a few weeks later in a car accident when stardom and status had only just found him. He and young Chavez would have been a total masterpiece. Not sure if that's what Slim had in mind, it's filled with opinion too .

    Two names...Ronald Winky Wright and Mike McCallum

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,462
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    445
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I’m confused what this means. Maybe give an example of what you are trying to get at

    Peep this Puncher...

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Salvador Sanchez: Great hair . Off the top no cheats, died way to young at 24. Won Featherweight title in brutal war with Little Red Lopez. Quality power, fast hands and a good beard. Promoted by Don King..I think. Ummmm defenses . Won rematch with Lopez by ko. Defended against Juan Laporte in a shoot out. Staked his super fight claim to fame knocking out tough as nails undefeated former Spr bantam champ Wilfredo Gomez. Was actually the underdog. He had arrived! Fought little to not known Azumah Nelson in a war. Stopped the future hall of famer and great fighter..only man to do so.. in the 15th round and was killed a few weeks later in a car accident when stardom and status had only just found him. He and young Chavez would have been a total masterpiece. Not sure if that's what Slim had in mind, it's filled with opinion too .

    Two names...Ronald Winky Wright and Mike McCallum
    Ok, I got Ronald Winky Wright.

    Winky was a high guard defensive counter puncher. '
    His weapon of choice was the jab.
    His breakout fight was with a LW who moved up named Shane Mosley.
    Winkys. Defensive guard and weapon of choice (jab) would also earn him a win over living legend Tito Trinidad.
    The former Light Middleweight champion would fight Middleweight champions Jermaine Taylor to a draw and lose a decision to Hall of Famer Bernard Hopkins.



    @powerpuncher If someone asked me if I knew of a fighter named Winky Wright, off the top of my brain that's what I would say!
    Show a bit where one's own level of knowledge is when a person can name any fighter from any era. One is forced to raise their game or bow out and say: I don't know who he is We can't know them all, but we can try!


    So you or next one up got Mike MCallum.

    And I failed, I peaked at the end to make sure he was a Jr. MW. I was right, but nevertheless I broke my own. Fortunate I didnt have to change anything.
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 12-30-2020 at 10:26 AM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    59,049
    Mentioned
    1572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2799
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    Mike MCallum was known as the body snatcher because he annihilated the body of his opponent. Michael Watson was finding it hard to breathe after the first few rounds because of the body shots. Mike MCallum also had an incredible chin.

    Mike MCallum was a Kronk fighter for a bit and wanted to face Duran but when Thomas Hearns got the fight he left them. He was light middleweight champion and enjoyed destroying a Kronk fighter Milton McCrory. He also spectacularly knocked out Donald Curry with one punch, he would never do that again in his career. He was also the first man to beat the hard punching Julian Jackson (great fight!)

    Mike MCallum moved up to middleweight and lost for the first time to Sambu Kalambay and everyone left him. He beat my favourite fighter Herol Graham in a close contest. He avenged his loss to Kalambay and fought James Toney for the Hagler belt. I thought he won both fights against Toney but the first was close and he got wobbled at the end.

    After that he got old but still beat an Australian to win light heavyweight title and fought James for a third time. He also lost to Roy Jones. He was a proud Jamaican and trained some fighters but is fat now.

    Next fighter is Herol Graham.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,462
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    445
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    excellent conceptual thread and it will go very gingerly..... who will bite the bait and put their neck out on the line? Salvador Sanchez, ....... hmmmmm.......

    Yeah, this is all muffed up for me watch this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Mike MCallum was known as the body snatcher because he annihilated the body of his opponent. Michael Watson was finding it hard to breathe after the first few rounds because of the body shots. Mike MCallum also had an incredible chin.

    Mike MCallum was a Kronk fighter for a bit and wanted to face Duran but when Thomas Hearns got the fight he left them. He was light middleweight champion and enjoyed destroying a Kronk fighter Milton McCrory. He also spectacularly knocked out Donald Curry with one punch, he would never do that again in his career. He was also the first man to beat the hard punching Julian Jackson (great fight!)

    Mike MCallum moved up to middleweight and lost for the first time to Sambu Kalambay and everyone left him. He beat my favourite fighter Herol Graham in a close contest. He avenged his loss to Kalambay and fought James Toney for the Hagler belt. I thought he won both fights against Toney but the first was close and he got wobbled at the end.

    After that he got old but still beat an Australian to win light heavyweight title and fought James for a third time. He also lost to Roy Jones. He was a proud Jamaican and trained some fighters but is fat now.

    Next fighter is Herol Graham.

    He's the dude that was whooping Julian Jackson until a Hail Mary punch caught him. He's from somewhere overseas not named USA!!!
    @NoSavingByTheBell
    I bit! And couldn't chew it LOL!


    Next Fighter is: Orlando Canizalez
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,929
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2238
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    Herol Bomber Graham, was an elusive boxer who in his prime you couldn't hit with a bag or gravel'
    Won British , Commonwealth, and European titles, failed at world level but was a fine fighter.




    Glenwood Brown.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    41,017
    Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4820
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    What's funny is basically this makes you immediately sum up the fights remember and then you realize some of the peripherals you have forgotten. Orlando Canizales...Bantamweight from Texas. Brother Gaby was also a champ in same division. Very formidable combination puncher and overall underrated at career end. Lost early on to Olympic medalist Paul Gonzalez who was maybe 5,6-0. Won belt late 80's and beat Gonzalez in rematch via tko cut. Savaged poor Billy Hardy in a tko defense which was also a rematch. Scored late tko in defense v Bones Adams. Very close fight that Adams fought mostly with a broken jaw until his Dad stepped in. Canizales defended against Sergio Reyes w.12 but seem to recall thinking Reyes deserved the win. Canizales beat him in rematch. Somewhere in early 90's one of the most hoped for 'best vs best' dream fights was a Canizales vs Junior Jones showdown but didn't happen until both slipped a bit and went up in weight. Still a good fight. Also went up in weight to challenge Wilfredo Vasquez only to come up just short but think I had Canizales winning.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    41,017
    Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4820
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Herol Bomber Graham, was an elusive boxer who in his prime you couldn't hit with a bag or gravel'
    Won British , Commonwealth, and European titles, failed at world level but was a fine fighter.




    Glenwood Brown.
    Man now that's under the radar . Ok this is a cluster...out of NY? Welterweight mainly. Rock hard beard. Mostly the big data I know for sure is thinking he really deserved the title W over Meldrick Taylor. Also "robbed" vs Larry Barnes. Just a solid all out scraper maybe B level but had some all out wars over last few years of career up in weight, Vinny Pazienza and Simon Brown among them.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    59,049
    Mentioned
    1572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2799
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Herol Bomber Graham, was an elusive boxer who in his prime you couldn't hit with a bag or gravel'
    Won British , Commonwealth, and European titles, failed at world level but was a fine fighter.




    Glenwood Brown.
    Man now that's under the radar . Ok this is a cluster...out of NY? Welterweight mainly. Rock hard beard. Mostly the big data I know for sure is thinking he really deserved the title W over Meldrick Taylor. Also "robbed" vs Larry Barnes. Just a solid all out scraper maybe B level but had some all out wars over last few years of career up in weight, Vinny Pazienza and Simon Brown among them.
    I am sure DLA watched him, as I did, in the late 1980's ITV boxing show which showed USA boxers on (probably) ESPN. You got to know the fighter and their career progression to become a fan of theirs.

    Just to add to Spicoli, he was called the "Beast" or the "Real Beast" because Simon Brown also had that name. Failed at numerous title bids but they were good champions, had a big left hook and was a nice guy. Hope he is doing good in retirement.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,462
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    445
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    What's funny is basically this makes you immediately sum up the fights remember and then you realize some of the peripherals you have forgotten. .
    Exactly! One can quickly concede there are loads of boxers we know ( AS THE OPPONENT) to one of our fav, but not much more than that.
    It can also reveal our biases for a certain ethnicity, style of fights. I've read Harol Graham's name for decades, seen a few highlights, but not enough to actually define his best/challenging fights. Even though I've only seen one Gene Tunney fight, I have more stats in my head on him than Graham!





    Nice bio on Canizales! Another champ that gets ripped for his era, but you were spot on!!
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 01-05-2021 at 06:13 AM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,462
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    445
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post





    Glenwood Brown.
    G Brown fought during my years High school years late 1980s.

    I associate Glenwood brown with names like Marlon Starling(dont think they fought), Meldrick Taylor, Saul Maumby, Simon Brown.

    Quiet, workman like boxer, no frills, no fancy whistles or bells just a solid WW. Don't remember him winning a big belt, just that he was always in contentions with top names alt 80s early 90s. Now that I think about it, there were a LOT of good WWs, that it was possible to not have fought them all, and not be considered a ducker. I think Lloyd Honeyghan was another potential foe that Brown didnt face, not because he ducked, but losing a fight wasnt the end, but it placed one at the back of the line --I think that was Glenwood Brown. He made it to the belt, lost, came back again.




    Carlos Monzon!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    59,049
    Mentioned
    1572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2799
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Your Boxer BIO- Raw Data Off the Top!

    It was Simon Brown that was due to fight Lloyd Honeyghan but he gave the title up.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. All Boxers Attribute Ratings & Last Name Data Bank
    By CountryBoy in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 12:29 PM
  2. Game Name Data Bank Announced
    By CountryBoy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 10:38 AM
  3. Burning data DVD's... Speed?
    By Dizaster in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 08:14 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 11:34 PM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Saddo Boxing - Boxing