Boxing Forums



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2024
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

    I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some feedback on what I'm currently doing ok and what I'm doing wrong. I'm a beginner, just started my fifth month boxing. Thanks!

    https:// vimeo.com/914838786?share=copy
    Last edited by Luvchenko; 02-21-2024 at 01:49 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    64,720
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3024
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

    Link does not work.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2024
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Link does not work.
    Hey man, thanks for checking.

    The system didn't let me post a link so I added it a space before "vimeo", if you remove that space it should let you see it.

    Thanks a lot!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    64,720
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3024
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

    Post more and I think it will let you do it.

    I can't get into your link. I am a IT genius as well.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2024
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Post more and I think it will let you do it.

    I can't get into your link. I am a IT genius as well.
    That makes two IT geniuses then lol. How about now?


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    64,720
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3024
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

    Firstly, welcome to the forum and well done on posting the video.

    Anyone training in boxing needs to be commended as it is not an easy sport to learn. You look as if you had worked out hard before you started filming to hit the bag.

    I would say you are a good hooker but need to work more on your straight punches. The jab needs to be thrown with more intent. You need to snap your punches and ended up slapping quite a lot.

    You need to work on your foot work and balance to be more effective hitting the bag.

    Keep it up and enjoy it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2024
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Firstly, welcome to the forum and well done on posting the video.

    Anyone training in boxing needs to be commended as it is not an easy sport to learn. You look as if you had worked out hard before you started filming to hit the bag.

    I would say you are a good hooker but need to work more on your straight punches. The jab needs to be thrown with more intent. You need to snap your punches and ended up slapping quite a lot.

    You need to work on your foot work and balance to be more effective hitting the bag.

    Keep it up and enjoy it.
    Thanks a lot mate, appreciate the feedback. To answer your comments:

    - I do try to snap my punches but throughout the rounds I always forget to do so. Should I train with resistance bands or what's your favourite drill for it?
    - I always do some rope and footwork drills before starting, but clearly need to do more of it! What do you think was lacking the most in my footwork? I think that when I'm not engaging the bag I tend to cross my feet a bit too much, will keep an eye out for it.

    I intend to take at least some private lessons in the near future/keep going to normal classes.

    Thanks a million my friend.

    Cheers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    64,720
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3024
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

    Normally when someone slaps there punches they are tired or rushing.

    I would set my feet and throw the punches slowly and without power. Get the technique right first, twist the body and snap the punches on impact. Then put power into it later when you have the confidence that you are throwing the punches right.

    Practice the punches no need for resistance bands. Throwing combination drills are good. My favourite is jab, jab, right hand and left hook.

    Balance in your foot work is important and rope work helps. You did cross your feet a lot.

    No need for private lessons join a gym and learn in a group.

    I pretend I am a particular boxer I like and try and be them.

    Keep posting your development.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2024
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Normally when someone slaps there punches they are tired or rushing.

    I would set my feet and throw the punches slowly and without power. Get the technique right first, twist the body and snap the punches on impact. Then put power into it later when you have the confidence that you are throwing the punches right.

    Practice the punches no need for resistance bands. Throwing combination drills are good. My favourite is jab, jab, right hand and left hook.

    Balance in your foot work is important and rope work helps. You did cross your feet a lot.

    No need for private lessons join a gym and learn in a group.

    I pretend I am a particular boxer I like and try and be them.

    Keep posting your development.

    Thank you sir, will go back to the "drawing board" and focus on getting the technique right as you mention to drill some snap, and focus on footwork. I'm already on a boxing class, although I'd like it to be a bit more personalized, but it's good to have different partners each evening.

    With regards to combinations, I think I'm quite predictable as I'm usually throwing 1,2,3's or 1,1,2,3's, gotta mix it up a bit more I reckon.

    Will post another video in a few months time to compare!

    Cheers mate.
    Last edited by Luvchenko; 02-21-2024 at 05:39 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    McAllen, Texas?
    Posts
    5,481
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1149
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by Luvchenko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Post more and I think it will let you do it.

    I can't get into your link. I am a IT genius as well.
    That makes two IT geniuses then lol. How about now?

    You are punching with your arms- there is no weight transference going on.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2024
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvchenko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Post more and I think it will let you do it.

    I can't get into your link. I am a IT genius as well.
    That makes two IT geniuses then lol. How about now?

    You are punching with your arms- there is no weight transference going on.
    I'm gonna make drilling that my main priority. It's annoying because on the first rounds I try to focus on it, but once I get tired it goes completely through the window. Thanks for the feedback.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    466
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

    Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    You are punching with your arms- there is no weight transference going on.
    hey i got a question for you and i figured you'd know. can you transfer your body weight from leg to leg in a wide stance?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Uttar Pradesh, India
    Posts
    5,386
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    270
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: HELP! I need some tips to improve my boxing

    Keep your right elbow closer to your side, the right hand punch is too wide

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Shadow Boxing Tips
    By Motor City Cobra in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-10-2009, 08:12 PM
  2. Boxing Exercises to improve hand speed?
    By BoxingDude66 in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 10:53 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 02:03 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 01:04 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Forum | Boxing Rankings

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Saddo Boxing - Boxing