0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Barrera: Juarez Post fight presser

www.fighnews.com

May 21, 2006

By Rocco Morales
    Photos: Big Joe Miranda

Just moments after an undesirable but understandable decision of a draw had been announced, as the press convened for the post fight press conference, word quickly spread that the California State Athletic Commission had apparently added the scores wrongly and the draw was now changed to a split decision victory for Marco Antonio Barrera over Ricardo “Rocky” Juarez. Most in the Media Room seemed to believe that Juarez had done enough to defeat Barrera so the announcement did not go over well.

It was with this dissension in the air that the press conference started with Oscar De La Hoya, president of Golden Boy Promotions, and promoter of Barrera, taking the podium first to address the crowd. “I thought it was a great fight…Rocky Juarez came to fight, he was ready. He was like a young buck and ready to win the title and did a tremendous job. Everyone is very proud of both fighters.”

“I think both the fighters won tonight because they gave it their all and they fought with a lot of heart…I don’t see any loser here.”

In discussing the scoring error further, De La Hoya said, “It was an honest mistake by the Commission. These people are human and they make mistakes.”

What made certain members of the media even more suspicious of the decision was the fact that there were two judges who had the 12th round a 10-10 round, and on the tabulation sheet of the State Athletic Commission, it appeared that both judges had first scored it a 10-9 round for Juarez, but then this was scratched out and marked a 10-10 round. This, ultimately, led to the change from a draw to a split decision victory for Barrera.

Richard Schaefer, Vice President of Golden Boy Promotions took to the podium, in an effort to help De La Hoya defend himself against an onslaught of questions about the decision. Schaeffer stated that Juarez’s promoter, Main Events, had the opportunity to review the judges actual scorecards and that there was really no controversy.

There was plenty of talk of a deserved rematch for Juarez. De La Hoya, when asked by FightNews was asked whether as the promoter of Barrera whether or not he is responsible for pushing for a rematch. De La Hoya remarked “Absolutely…we will sit down. We don’t want to make any decisions now but we will make the right decision.”

A visibly beat up Barrera then made his appearance, wearing a baseball cap pulled down far over his face. Barrera stated, “Boxing is a sport of appreciation. The main thing is that you—the fans and the media—are happy with what was a tremendous fight.”

When asked about a rematch, Barrera said “Please let me take a rest, take my family on vacation and then we will see what is next.”

When asked if he was hurt by an early left hook that appeared to stagger him, Barrera responded “He hits very hard and not just with one hand…he hits hard with both hands but we had the experience to get through and come through victorious. We were ready for twelve intense rounds.”

Next at the podium was the head of the California State Athletic Commission, Armando Garcia to discuss the scoring discrepancy. “There was a mathematical error in the tabulation of Judge Morita’s scorecard. It was a simple mathematical error. Obviously, I wish it wouldn’t have happened but it did. Today by the scorecards Marco Antonio Barrera won by a split decision.”

When asked by FightNews why the Commission only releases the tabulation sheet and not the actual judges individual scorecards, Garcia responded “That is what always happens…to give you the scorecards, I have to give you, 12 x 3, 36 individual scorecards.”

Garcia was rescued from further scrutiny by the appearance of Juarez and his team. First to take the podium to much support from the crowd was Juarez' advisor, Shelly Finkel. Finkel said “Everyone who saw the fight knows what happened. There were no warnings for the mouthpiece coming out or mention of the low blows…we are not complaining but we want a rematch.”

Next up at the podium was Juarez. In explaining how he felt about the fight, Juarez said “I was disappointed by the fact that I received a draw, but I was willing to accept a draw. When they told me that they changed the decision and that I lost the fight, I was very disappointed. I felt it was a good fight. I believe I am the champion. I would love a rematch.”

Juarez then asked the crowd who they thought won the fight. When the crowd overwhelmingly and jubilantly responded that they thought Juarez won the fight, the press conference was seemingly cut short, as De La Hoya intervened and thanked the fighters and everyone in attendance.

Overall, the sentiment of the crowd seemed to be that Juarez had been deprived of a close but hard fought victory over the immensely popular Barrera. It just made matters worse that there was a problem with the scoring and that even the tabulation sheet prepared by the Commission seemed to have possibly first had the fight a draw and then after numerous revisions, a split decision was the final outcome. Juarez, despite his official loss in the ring, saw his stock rise considerably while questions will be asked as to whether Barrera is still the feared and formidable champion he once was.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Barrera: Juarez Post fight presser

barrera won that for me....he controlled most of the early rounds and crucially stole the 11th....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i thought it was a draw
    doesnt really matter cause the decision has been made
    and it wont change
    it was a hard fight to judge
    in my eyes

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KickboxAmob
    i thought it was a draw
    doesnt really matter cause the decision has been made
    and it wont change
    it was a hard fight to judge
    in my eyes
    barrera stole most of the early rounds, but i was getting worried in the latter stages of the fight...a very good fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

a very good fight indeed
    do you think there should be a rematch
    i think in a rematch rocky will win by tko

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KickboxAmob
    a very good fight indeed
    do you think there should be a rematch
    i think in a rematch rocky will win by tko
    a rematch would be very interesting....i wouldnt rule out MAB though....

he is still in remarkably fine fettle IMO...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

a Draw would be good, but then again decisions have been made so i guess MAB won

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who is this WE that Barerra keeps taking about!?!?

Bareera says before the Peden fight "If he's fast..WE will be twice as fast.. if he is slick WE will be twice is slick."

And now he says "He hit hard but WE used our experience."

Is he talking about his hands

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Who is this WE that Barerra keeps taking about!?!?

Bareera says before the Peden fight "If he's fast..WE will be twice as fast.. if he is slick WE will be twice is slick."

And now he says "He hit hard but WE used our experience."

Is he talking about his hands
    barrera needs a chat with bababooey!!

Thread Information