14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Lacy Splits With Shaw

JOHN C. COTEY, Times Staff Writer
    Published August 15, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost a year to the day after their greatest moment together, St. Petersburg's Jeff Lacy and his promoter, Gary Shaw, are no longer a team.

Shaw's tireless promotion and Lacy's charisma and vicious in-ring style helped draw 16,000 to the St. Pete Times Forum last August to see the then-IBF super middleweight champion bludgeon Robin Reid in a card that exceeded all expectations.

Today, they are going their separate ways.

"Basically, I wanted to do my own thing," Lacy said. "Me and Gary, we still have a relationship, but there comes a time when a fighter wants to do his own thing."

Shaw, who deserves a lot of credit for guiding Lacy to the IBF super-middleweight title, said he hasn't talked to the fighter since late July. He said that conversation ended poorly, with Lacy upset after being told he would be fighting on the undercard of the Oct. 2 card headlined by Diego Corrales and Joel Casamayor.

Lacy said fighting on an undercard had nothing to do with his decision; fighting in October, though, did.

In the time off since losing his title to Joe Calzaghe in March, Lacy said he gained nearly 30 pounds - topping out around 195 - and did not want to rush to meet the 168-pound limit by Oct. 2.

He said he thought he had a November date, but Shaw said that was contingent on the opponent being Tampa's Antonio Tarver.

Those negotiations fell apart, leaving him with a $350,000 offer to fight Allan Green in October.

Lacy decided he wanted to proceed at his own pace.

"That's why I pulled out of that fight," he said.

Lacy said he has more options as a free agent. He has always had a handshake deal with Shaw, and might pursue similar deals with other promoters. He said he is not limited to certain cards or certain networks, and can choose the fights he wants.

One of those could be on the undercard of pal Winky Wright's next event, if it's at the Times Forum and the money is right, Lacy said.

"We're working on a deal to get in on the Winky fight if it comes here Dec. 2," Lacy said. "If it comes here with Winky and whoever he's fighting, we're going to fight on the undercard. Me and Winky are looking to bring it here together."

NEXT UP: Wright is expected to name an opponent for his Dec. 2 fight on HBO pay-per-view soon, with the leading candidates being junior middleweights Kassim Ouma and Ike Quartey and WBA middleweight champion Javier Castillejo.

Quartey or Ouma who is signed with Golden Boy Promotions, the company Wright recently teamed with would draw bigger pay-per-view numbers, but Castillejo has a belt and is probably the easiest fight for Wright.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lacy Splits With Shaw

Its not a surprise is it? Of course he didnt say as much but it sounded like Shaw was pissed at Lacy for ditching the Green fight.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    Its not a surprise is it? Of course he didnt say as much but it sounded like Shaw was pissed at Lacy for ditching the Green fight.
    Yup.

That & the fact that the mere mention of Wright's name to Shaw probably makes him pull a Linda Blaire move straight outta the Exorcist...you got a reason to waive bye-bye to Mr. Damaged Goods Lacy.

I personally think it's a good move on Lacy's part.

Shaw is a total tool.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://www.garyshawproductions.com/

Lacy has been removed from Shaw's webpage...... Hopefully it's a good move for the kid, As long as it dosent delay his ring return any further....Thats the Ugly part and reality of the sport Money, Politics......

I hope it isin't a case of Jeff biting the hand that fed him and being ungrateful toward Shaw...Then again Promoters arent exactly boyscouts either, Always 2 sides to a story though we shall see..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Yup.

That & the fact that the mere mention of Wright's name to Shaw probably makes him pull a Linda Blaire move straight outta the Exorcist...you got a reason to waive bye-bye to Mr. Damaged Goods Lacy.

Shaw is a total tool.
    Damaged goods Huh?

El Kabong Guest

I think Bob Arum or Golden Boy is the way to go for anyone who is not a heavyweight...you know Bob Arum will move him along well.

Lacy needs a good tough tune up fight but with someone who can't hurt him...you know just to get the ring rust off

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arum certainly has Margarito and Cotto in the express lane.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

El Kabong Guest

Cotto he can get fights for...Tony is another story

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock
    Yup.

Shaw is a total tool.
    Damaged goods Huh?
    Very possible. Listening to Lacy talk...I get that feeling. He really REALLY sounds like he's in denial.

I like Lacy & I think that he can rebound...but whether we as fans want to face it or not...he's damaged goods right now & something like this (Shaw situation) is not what you want to be fooling around with.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock
    Yup.

Shaw is a total tool.
    Damaged goods Huh?
    Very possible. Listening to Lacy talk...I get that feeling. He really REALLY sounds like he's in denial.

I like Lacy & I think that he can rebound...but whether we as fans want to face it or not...he's damaged goods right now & something like this (Shaw situation) is not what you want to be fooling around with.
    I dont know Wacks the more I think about it the more I'm starting to think somethings screwy....He is 200lbs Know were near the 168 limit Hasnt got a fight yet and just split with his friend and promoter....He wouldnt be the 1st to dissapear into oblivion....I am probably his biggest supporter but he isint given me much hope lately..

Its tough being a fan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds to me like Left hook could be finished, he took a real beating off Calzaghe and that might be having lasting effects. History tells us not many fighters return to their best when they've been on the receiving end of that sort of punishment. I.e Foreman, Hamed, tzsyu.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im more and more leaning towards Lacy being done. I didnt entertain the idea initially but the signs arent good.

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

whether or not Lacy is done, doesn't really have anything to do with his promoter or anything in the media... All we can do is hope he does fight someone soon, and we'll see if he's.... I wan't to stay still got it, but improved would be a little better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lacy to Golden Boy/Winky Promotions?

By Michael Swann

http://15rounds.com/boxing/News/2006/08/lacy-081506.php

Boxing Journalist Nat Gottlieb has reported that Jeff Lacy may be leaving Gary Shaw Productions to sign with Winky Wright's still to be developed company, which has a partnership deal with Golden Boy Promotions. According to Gottlieb's article, Lacy would fight on an undercard of a "yet to be announced" fight between Winky Wright and Kassim Ouma on HBO.

Gary Shaw commented that, "I heard that, but I don't know if it's true or not."

Shaw declined to comment on his reaction to the story, saying, " Not until I find out one way or another."

Don't write Lacy off just yet...watch & see...he'll get up with Winky's gig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lacy to Golden Boy/Winky Promotions?

By Michael Swann

http://15rounds.com/boxing/News/2006/08/lacy-081506.php

Boxing Journalist Nat Gottlieb has reported that Jeff Lacy may be leaving Gary Shaw Productions to sign with Winky Wright's still to be developed company, which has a partnership deal with Golden Boy Promotions. According to Gottlieb's article, Lacy would fight on an undercard of a "yet to be announced" fight between Winky Wright and Kassim Ouma on HBO.

Gary Shaw commented that, "I heard that, but I don't know if it's true or not."

Shaw declined to comment on his reaction to the story, saying, " Not until I find out one way or another."

Don't write Lacy off just yet...watch & see...he'll get up with Winky's gig.

Lacy depends too much on his power and not enough on Dan Birmingham to be a threat to anyone to not be outboxed right now. We'll have to see how his second fight back. Because his first fight back he'll either do everything right or everything wrong.

Thread Information