Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Calzaghe: i want Pavlik after Jones

Following breaking news of Calzaghe's intent to stick around for more fights at the 168lb Super Middleweight division, Calzaghe has given his first interview with The Times since his break up with long time promoter Frank Warren and has openly mentioned the potential match-up against Kelly Pavlik :-

“There is no way I am going to give up my WBO title,” Calzaghe announced to The Time's Ron Lewis “I do not have a mandatory (to his WBO title) at the moment so I do not have to defend my title and if I beat Jones, Im going to move back down to super middleweight to face Kelly Pavlik"

“I still feel young,” Calzaghe stated “...It all depends on how I perform against Jones. There's a good possibility I may fight on. I need fights that motivate me. Kessler motivated me, Hopkins motivated me, Jones motivates me. And Kelly Pavlik has been hanging around.”

“It took me eight years [as WBO champion] to get a unification fight - I was becoming a laughing stock with some of the people I was fighting,” he said. “I was chasing guys like Jones and now they are chasing me.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe: i want Pavlik after Jones

Seems like everyone does these days....set em up, and i'll knock em down is probably how pavlik looks at it.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Calzaghe said a couple of weeks ago that Pavlik didn't deserve a shot; that he hadn't done enough Or was that Enzo?
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION View Post
    I thought Calzaghe said a couple of weeks ago that Pavlik didn't deserve a shot; that he hadn't done enough Or was that Enzo?
    I think it was Enzo that said it. I cannot picture Joe backing down from anyone, especially since he has never tasted defeat. I think they just wanted Warren out of the picture so they could negotiate a fight on their own terms.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This isn't gonna end up being an ODLH-Mayweather type negotiation is it?

Dear Joe, Enzo, Jack and Kelly.

Please focus on your next fight, afterwards just sign the contract to fight each other, please don't waste valuable media time with I'm going to do it, I'm not going to do it. blah blah blah ad nauseum.

Best Regards,

Killersheep.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm glad he's not backing down from the the Pavlik thing, yet he doesn't need to get ahead of himself. If he fights Roy sept 20 it's a little over 8 weeks away, which isn't that much time considering he's just got back from holiday. He needs to get to work in the gym, regardless of how much Roy has slipped, he's still the bigger stronger guy and hasn't signed the fight to back down.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Markusdarkus View Post
    Following breaking news of Calzaghe's intent to stick around for more fights at the 168lb Super Middleweight division, Calzaghe has given his first interview with The Times since his break up with long time promoter Frank Warren and has openly mentioned the potential match-up against Kelly Pavlik :-

“There is no way I am going to give up my WBO title,” Calzaghe announced to The Time's Ron Lewis “I do not have a mandatory (to his WBO title) at the moment so I do not have to defend my title and if I beat Jones, Im going to move back down to super middleweight to face Kelly Pavlik"

“I still feel young,” Calzaghe stated “...It all depends on how I perform against Jones. There's a good possibility I may fight on. I need fights that motivate me. Kessler motivated me, Hopkins motivated me, Jones motivates me. And Kelly Pavlik has been hanging around.”

“It took me eight years [as WBO champion] to get a unification fight - I was becoming a laughing stock with some of the people I was fighting,” he said. “I was chasing guys like Jones and now they are chasing me.”
    That belt is crap

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

That belt is crap
    I'm surprised to see a fellow Calzaghe fan knocking Joe's belt.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do find that a stupid reason to take a fight (or not) at this point in Joe's career. For one, he is very established, has limited fights, and he can buy him another belt from a website in any color he wants.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

That belt is crap
    Can't believe the WBO has a fan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That belt is crap

Its a symbol nothing else that belt has the best history at 168lbs.

Plus Hoe is one of only two men to hold all 5 recognised titles at the same weight.

WBC,IBO,IBF,WBA,WBO and of those at 168lbs the belt with the history is the WBO the others are just tokens.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

That belt is crap
    Can't believe the WBO has a fan
    It's the fighter that makes the belt though isn't it? Calzaghe has beaten the WBC/WBA supermiddle champ and of course the IBF champ in a bout we both favoured Joe to win, so the WBO supermiddle belt has the respect due to the guy who currently holds it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That belt is crap

Plus Hoe is one of only two men to hold all 5 recognised titles at the same weight.

WBC,IBO,IBF,WBA,WBO and of those at 168lbs the belt with the history is the WBO the others are just tokens.
    OK that's just silly, they are all just tokens. The history of the WBC belt at 168 is just as strong as the WBO. And ultimately they are all meaningless against the Ring title. Calzaghe has no use for a trinket at this point in his career, does it make or break a fight with RJJ? NO, does it impact his possible one fight after RJJ? NO.
    Calzaghe has the Ring title nothing else matters, that covers all the history he needs.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

That belt is crap

OK that's just silly, they are all just tokens. The history of the WBC belt at 168 is just as strong as the WBO. And ultimately they are all meaningless against the Ring title. Calzaghe has no use for a trinket at this point in his career, does it make or break a fight with RJJ? NO, does it impact his possible one fight after RJJ? NO.
    Calzaghe has the Ring title nothing else matters.

Well it matters to him hes had the belt for 10yrs why give it up then fight when he can keep it and fight.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

Calzaghe has the Ring title nothing else matters.

Well it matters to him hes had the belt for 10yrs why give it up then fight when he can keep it and fight.
    The why is in the fee structure.

If he gives it up he is free to not pay sanctioning fees. If he wants to defend it that's fine, as long as we all admit it's a novelty. From my point of view it's just a waste of money.

Thread Information