Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using leg drive in punch combination hows it done?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Using leg drive in punch combination hows it done?

I can only use leg drive on a single punch.

As soon as I start doing combination punches I cant dip 1 knee, raise the knee up again and dip the other knee in time, because my hips are rotating back n forth too quickly to allow for that slower movement.

The best I can do is bend both knees all the time and get some kind of half arsed leg drive for all the punches!

Hows it done? Or is it impossible?

No one on boxing scene knows lets see if the pros here will know

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you are pushing off to start a punch you are pushing that punch. You need to shift your weight first- ahead of the hip rotation- to engage the side of your body opposite the punching hand.
    This gets your weight turned through the punch so you hit harder. You minimize movement so you're faster. You are in position to throw the next punch and your balance is better.

showmi Guest

Default Re: Using leg drive in punch combination hows it done?

Quote Originally Posted by OMGWTF View Post
    I can only use leg drive on a single punch.

As soon as I start doing combination punches I cant dip 1 knee, raise the knee up again and dip the other knee in time, because my hips are rotating back n forth too quickly to allow for that slower movement.

The best I can do is bend both knees all the time and get some kind of half arsed leg drive for all the punches!

Hows it done? Or is it impossible?

No one on boxing scene knows lets see if the pros here will know
    Why not stand at ease keeping your hands at half mast with both feet flat on the floor and just throw?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    If you are pushing off to start a punch you are pushing that punch. You need to shift your weight first- ahead of the hip rotation- to engage the side of your body opposite the punching hand.
    This gets your weight turned through the punch so you hit harder. You minimize movement so you're faster. You are in position to throw the next punch and your balance is better.
    thanks grey thats a great tip you gave me b4 and ive been working hard on it, but that doesn't answer this question, even with my weight on the opposite side I cant bend one leg and straighten the other fast enough to get leg power in all the punches in a combination. I can only get leg power in a single punch. As soon as its combinations I use mostly hips and weak assists from the legs.

Is it impossible to get optimal leg power in a combination of punches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For any punch one leg is driving and the other is stabilizing. Sounds to me like you weren't taught how to do those things properly. If you were, you'd be always putting yourself in position to throw the next shot just as hard as the one before it. I think grey is right and you don't transfer weight correctly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    For any punch one leg is driving and the other is stabilizing. Sounds to me like you weren't taught how to do those things properly. If you were, you'd be always putting yourself in position to throw the next shot just as hard as the one before it. I think grey is right and you don't transfer weight correctly.
    One leg is always stabilizing, and driving with the other leg is optional. (unless you mean the grinding of the foot on the ground to get traction, that doesnt count as leg thrust/leg drive in what I mean)

Rocky Marciano drove from the leg, Ali not so much. Kickboxers dont drive from the leg at all.

Ali and kickboxers shoot from the hip mostly. (of course the leg turns but thats not using the leg in a way that gets max thrust like how Marciano did)

Marciano used everything the hip fully and the leg fully.

But you cant use the leg fully in combination punches I dont think.

What specifically makes you think I wasnt taught how to us ethe legs/ hips properly?
    Last edited by OMGWTF; 06-01-2015 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One leg is always stabilizing, and driving with the other leg is optional. (unless you mean the grinding of the foot on the ground to get traction, that doesnt count as leg thrust/leg drive in what I mean)

Rocky Marciano drove from the leg, Ali not so much. Kickboxers dont drive from the leg at all.

Ali and kickboxers shoot from the hip mostly. (of course the leg turns but thats not using the leg in a way that gets max thrust like how Marciano did)

What specifically makes you think I wasnt taught how to us ethe legs/ hips properly?
    The part in bold indicates that you don't use them correctly, and as I said it's probably because you don't transfer weight correctly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The part in bold indicates that you don't use them correctly, and as I said it's probably because you don't transfer weight correctly.
    I can now i figured it out.

So ur just trolling no specific advice u can tell me on where u think im going wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So ur just trolling no specific advice u can tell me on where u think im going wrong?
    Well if you figured it out on your own apparently you didn't need much help.

You're still probably transferring weight wrong, but without seeing you move its pointless to type out how to do it right. Especially considering that's something you need to be shown by a coach who knows what he's doing, there are too many things that can go wrong that you won't be able to self-assess and I'm not gonna sit here guessing what's going wrong unless you feel like posting a video.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're still probably transferring weight wrong, but without seeing you move its pointless to type out how to do it right. Especially considering that's something you need to be shown by a coach who knows what he's doing, there are too many things that can go wrong that you won't be able to self-assess and I'm not gonna sit here guessing what's going wrong unless you feel like posting a video.
    Well the proper way to do it is not the unorthodox method grey not so old teaches.

The proper way is for the weight to transfer from foot to foot. With a right cross the weight starts on on the right foot, you rotate the right foot grinding it down into the floor, which turns the hips and activates the leg drive, the weight then shifts to the left foot which acts like a stopper.

How would you describe it jms?

I figured the leg drive bit out myself and I presume I already knew how to do the basic weight transfer and punch mechanics since every coach and video ive ever seen bar a few retarded ones teaches the same thing, roach teaches it this way Tyson does, nearly everyone does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well the proper way to do it is not the unorthodox method grey not so old teaches.

The proper way is for the weight to transfer from foot to foot. With a right cross the weight starts on on the right foot, you rotate the right foot grinding it down into the floor, which turns the hips and activates the leg drive, the weight then shifts to the left foot which acts like a stopper.

I figured the leg drive bit out myself and I presume I already knew how to do the basic weight transfer and punch mechanics since every coach and video ive ever seen bar a few retarded ones teaches the same thing, roach teaches it this way Tyson does, nearly everyone does.
    That's the idea of weight transfer, but I doubt your mechanics are right. As I said, I'm not gonna type that out without seeing you throw some punches because it's a waste of time. There are a lot of things that could be going wrong and I'm not gonna cover every possibility in the hope that I cover your issue. You can't post such a general question and expect specific responses, that's silly.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There isn't anything "unorthodox" about what i explained; it has been taught that way for a very long time. That is the optimum way to do it, if your goal is hard, fast punches, fluent combinations, and good balance.
    If you are pushing your right hand with your right leg or your left hook with your left leg, you are pushing the punch. This will affect your balance and, generally, limit you to 2-3 punch combinations.

showmi Guest

There isn't anything "unorthodox" about what i explained; it has been taught that way for a very long time. That is the optimum way to do it, if your goal is hard, fast punches, fluent combinations, and good balance.
    If you are pushing your right hand with your right leg or your left hook with your left leg, you are pushing the punch. This will affect your balance and, generally, limit you to
    2-3 punch combinations.
    why not double up on those combos jab, LH, L shovel hook, right over hand. What's that a 4 punch combo?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's the idea of weight transfer, but I doubt your mechanics are right. As I said, I'm not gonna type that out without seeing you throw some punches because it's a waste of time. There are a lot of things that could be going wrong and I'm not gonna cover every possibility in the hope that I cover your issue. You can't post such a general question and expect specific responses, that's silly.
    Ha!

showmi Guest

thanks grey thats a great tip you gave me b4 and ive been working hard on it, but that doesn't answer this question, even with my weight on the opposite side I cant bend one leg and straighten the other fast enough to get leg power in all the punches in a combination. I can only get leg power in a single punch. As soon as its combinations I use mostly hips and weak assists from the legs.

Is it impossible to get optimal leg power in a combination of punches?

Thread Information