Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Advice for someone looking to start..

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Advice for someone looking to start..

Hello, firstly, I'm new to these forums, I've been looking through them the last few days and I must say it's a good forum with alot of people who know their boxing.

Anyway..

Recently i've had the strong urge to take up boxing, which is long overdue since I've enjoyed boxing since the age of 10 and I'm now 17. Anyway, I'm not quite sure to join a local boxing club (I do hope to be competing sometime this year or maybe next) or to just train myself for a year before joining a club, I'm not particularly confident about my weight due to me being overweight so I wouldn't exactly be confident walking into a public club right now..

So maybe I should just train myself for a year and lose weight untill I'm confident with myself? Technique wise I know quite alot since I'm very passionate about boxing and watch a awful lot of it. I know full well knowing and doing is different things, but it's a start. I'll be purchasing a heavy bag soon, and probably some weights, which leads me onto another question (I've just realised how much I've writ already..). As a beginner, should I be looking to focus more on fitness (Me being not in much shape nowadays, as I dont play football (soccer) anymore, or more on technique and let the fitness come later.

Thanks to anyone who bothered to read this far, it'll be a big help to me.
    Joey.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Advice for someone looking to start..

Welcome Joey.

First advice would be to get yourself to the gym. I understand you may not feel comfortable doing that, but most of us who walk into it for the first time feel that way.

If you can't get yourself there, then I would recommend firstly finding a proper eating plan and an exercising regiment. I'd look at simple doing that before you run out and buy a bunch of boxing stuff. Try something like that and see how you feel. If that feels good, then maybe then look into a bag and some gloves and so on.

I do think it is great of you to make a post on here, and it is a first step towards getting healthier. The next step is getting your ass in gear.

I wish you luck with it and hope you stick around and let us know how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the reply, contender. I'm already looking around the net on advice with running and similar excersising methods, so thanks for that. I'll probably be looking into buying some gear within the next 2-3 weeks, i'll be looking to get into a regular excersise routine firstly though.

I'll be sure to do some updates as time goes on

Thanks again,
    Joey.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good.

I honestly wouldn't over think it much. Start off basic. Push ups. Sits ups. Shadow Box if you want. Jump some rope if you got one. Go for a little run.

All this sort of thing probably won't feel real great at first, but the important thing is to stick with it. First time you jog it can be pretty discouraging. Hurts like hell and you might even puke ur guts out. Not to mention hardly going much distance. Do it for a few weeks tho, and you'll soon realize you've dbl'd, tripled or more your distance and the amount of exercise. From there it just gets better and better.

But I still think you should bite the bullet as soon as possible and get to a gym, because you do know boxing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Joey, this is the most commonly asked question on the Training Board; "How do I start."

Each time the question is asked, it boils down to the same answer. A Trainer is not going to come get you, bring you to the gym and grrom you for greatness. It is up to you to find the gym, put in the effort and gain the interest of the trainers.

You have to make your own way there. But do it, it's worth it.

Thread Information