Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: The best of an Era (Warning, yet another thread about Floyd)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The best of an Era (Warning, yet another thread about Floyd)

I think Floyd has prooven that he is a great boxer. But has he prooven that he is the best of his era? It is really hard to determine who is the best of an era. Especially if people don't fight eachother. For example if I asked you who was the best of the last era you might say it was RJJ, but there are alot of people who will say he didn't have much competition at his weight class, some would say Mously or B-Hop or maybe even Trinidad or Wright. Why are these names even considered when RJJ clearly had better skills? Because they had tougher challenges and some of them fought eachother which gave the fans something to measure them with. And what about "Finito" Lopez, this guy is hardly mentioned even though he is the only other HoF fighter besides Marciano to leave undefeated. At any rate you will never have a consensus on who was undoubtedly the best.

If you go further back it becomes easier. We had Leonard, Hearns, Duran and Hagler. These guys did indeed fight eachother and Leonard is the only one to have a W against each. Still people don't agree, some people thought Hagler won against Leonard. Others say that Duran was over his weight and at lightweight would kill all of those mentioned. And maybe there was some other guy in this era who had better skills and was dominating his division but was not being challenged and nobody payed attention to him. I am to young to know if there was any but maybe someone here knows if there was such a man in this era.

Someone mentined that Floyd is retirering because he has no one left to fight. If this is true than why are all these names popping up and all these threads being open about who should he fight next. The thing is if Floyd retires he is leaving to many questions unanswered. Questions that only a man who has been truly challenged can answer. 10 or 20 years from now people are going to ask who is Floyd and the only thing people are going to say is "He's that guy that beat DLH. He was real good, could have been great, but then he retired..."

Floyd must take advantage of his prime and his skills. Fight those names at 147, dominate the division. It might cost him his precious 0 under the L column, but it will be worth it. MAB was not considered that great until his great triology with Moralez. What happend that first fight... he lost. Same for Paquiao, for Leaonard, for Robbinson. Sometimes you have to lose in order to win. It is only when you are against someone who can beat you that people can see how great you are. At some point, someone will come along who is going to test him. If he meats that test and conquers it he will become more than great, he will become Legendary. That is what people want to see, they want to see those legends that they hear their parents and older brothers talking about. Floyd can be the next legend, the next true great. But he has to keep fighting to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The best of an Era (Warning, yet another thread about Floyd)

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie Fan
    I think Floyd has prooven that he is a great boxer. But has he prooven that he is the best of his era? It is really hard to determine who is the best of an era. Especially if people don't fight eachother. For example if I asked you who was the best of the last era you might say it was RJJ, but there are alot of people who will say he didn't have much competition at his weight class, some would say Mously or B-Hop or maybe even Trinidad or Wright. Why are these names even considered when RJJ clearly had better skills? Because they had tougher challenges and some of them fought eachother which gave the fans something to measure them with. And what about "Finito" Lopez, this guy is hardly mentioned even though he is the only other HoF fighter besides Marciano to leave undefeated. At any rate you will never have a consensus on who was undoubtedly the best.

If you go further back it becomes easier. We had Leonard, Hearns, Duran and Hagler. These guys did indeed fight eachother and Leonard is the only one to have a W against each. Still people don't agree, some people thought Hagler won against Leonard. Others say that Duran was over his weight and at lightweight would kill all of those mentioned. And maybe there was some other guy in this era who had better skills and was dominating his division but was not being challenged and nobody payed attention to him. I am to young to know if there was any but maybe someone here knows if there was such a man in this era.

Someone mentined that Floyd is retirering because he has no one left to fight. If this is true than why are all these names popping up and all these threads being open about who should he fight next. The thing is if Floyd retires he is leaving to many questions unanswered. Questions that only a man who has been truly challenged can answer. 10 or 20 years from now people are going to ask who is Floyd and the only thing people are going to say is "He's that guy that beat DLH. He was real good, could have been great, but then he retired..."

Floyd must take advantage of his prime and his skills. Fight those names at 147, dominate the division. It might cost him his precious 0 under the L column, but it will be worth it. MAB was not considered that great until his great triology with Moralez. What happend that first fight... he lost. Same for Paquiao, for Leaonard, for Robbinson. Sometimes you have to lose in order to win. It is only when you are against someone who can beat you that people can see how great you are. At some point, someone will come along who is going to test him. If he meats that test and conquers it he will become more than great, he will become Legendary. That is what people want to see, they want to see those legends that they hear their parents and older brothers talking about. Floyd can be the next legend, the next true great. But he has to keep fighting to do it.
    I agree. with so many so called accomplishments he have nowadays, ever wonder why he still doesn't get "respect" he is suppose to get? Can't blame the people for that, all of what is happening in his career is all his own doings. Its still in the cause and effect principle. Mayweather can't force the fans to give him the respect he really wants. No way, there is no shortcut getting that, he needs to earn it and what better way to do it than to fight every good to best category opponent available right now for him. If pbf reasons i can't fight that guy, there's not enough cash in the bout. that is so true but that he can't expect most fans to give him respect as a boxer for that reason.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The word GREAT IS NOT FOR PBF he is good but not GREAT

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie Fan

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Counter
    I disagree. In 20 - 30 years time aint one of us wont be telling our boxing mad grandchildren how great Floyd Mayweather was. In time we will all realise that he is as good as anything that has gone before him and anything that may follow.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    Quote Originally Posted by Counter
    I disagree. In 20 - 30 years time aint one of us wont be telling our boxing mad grandchildren how great Floyd Mayweather was. In time we will all realise that he is as good as anything that has gone before him and anything that may follow.
    The best of an Era? PBF? wahahaha that's a good laugh

Thread Information