Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If Roy stayed at HW.

What if Roy Jones stayed at HW to defend his title after beating Ruiz? Who could he have defended it against?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Roy stayed at HW.

A fight with Holyfield would have been on the cards
    Cold Heart and a Weak Mind

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was shocked that Roy even fought Ruiz. He had backed out of all the other ones. Evander was shot by then n Rpy would've boxed to a decision. I think a fight vs Chris Byrd would've been interesting. I think Roy's speed would've let him beat guys like Tua, Holy...etc. The biggest match n the one that mattered for his legacy would've been Lewis, but Lennox was too big n I don't blame Roy for not fighting him. I do cringe when people say Roy was a heavyweight champ. Same when they say he was middle or super middle champ. He was a titlist in those divisions n champ at 175, even though Darius has the lineal title.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was shocked that Roy even fought Ruiz. He had backed out of all the other ones. Evander was shot by then n Rpy would've boxed to a decision. I think a fight vs Chris Byrd would've been interesting. I think Roy's speed would've let him beat guys like Tua, Holy...etc. The biggest match n the one that mattered for his legacy would've been Lewis, but Lennox was too big n I don't blame Roy for not fighting him. I do cringe when people say Roy was a heavyweight champ. Same when they say he was middle or super middle champ. He was a titlist in those divisions n champ at 175, even though Darius had the lineal title.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I was shocked that Roy even fought Ruiz. He had backed out of all the other ones. Evander was shot by then n Rpy would've boxed to a decision. I think a fight vs Chris Byrd would've been interesting. I think Roy's speed would've let him beat guys like Tua, Holy...etc. The biggest match n the one that mattered for his legacy would've been Lewis, but Lennox was too big n I don't blame Roy for not fighting him. I do cringe when people say Roy was a heavyweight champ. Same when they say he was middle or super middle champ. He was a titlist in those divisions n champ at 175, even though Darius has the lineal title.
    Agreed that Jones would have beat an aged Evander but it would have been worth more than a Bryd fight. Roy wouldn't have taken that chin anywhere near Tua A Toney rematch would have been interesting
    Cold Heart and a Weak Mind

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How about Corrie Sanders?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After the 1st Tarver fight, Roy said he wanted one more fight - a HW showdown with Mike Tyson - and then he was going to retire. That was the shell of Tyson who was coming off a "bounce back" KO over Etienne after getting tooled by Lewis. I'd say he could have beat that Tyson.

Funny how he was talking about wanting to retire, and that was 10 years ago.... poor guy held on way too long.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy could have fought holyfield and tyson. He would have beat both of them while making millions of dollars in the process.

Had he retired after that, he would have went out as the greatest fighter of all times.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He said flat out that he wouldn't fight Holyfield after that, but money talks. Just think they would hit kinks and hang ups in negotiations...especially if he demanded 60-40 . Had King cut Ruiz loose by then? I think that had he stayed I can see him facing a top ten 'contender' type before and mega match. Maybe a ranked Joe Mesi who was riding HBO by then and very tv friendly. Oh dude..can you imagine the carnage there Personally I think Byrd would have a great contrast fight with similar style. Not boring at all.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He would have done alright against the smaller, less powerful opponents like Byrd and obviously Ruiz but would have been banged out pretty quick against someone like Lennox Lewis no doubt.
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy was amazing to beat Ruiz considering how far in weight he had jumped from but I doubt he could produce another performance like that against better fighters. I think Tyson may have caught him early and Toney may have been too strong for him at the higher weight. I also think Holyfield would beat Roy.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah but Ruiz is probably the weakest HW champion since guys like Bentt and Spinks took the title.

I'm not real surprised that Roy beat him.

Decisioning Evander and hanging with Byrd or Chambers would have also been plausible but who else is he gonna really beat?

Sanders and Tyson would have knocked him 1st round I reckon. He is not big enough or strong chinned enough for that shit.

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Roy was amazing to beat Ruiz considering how far in weight he had jumped from but I doubt he could produce another performance like that against better fighters. I think Tyson may have caught him early and Toney may have been too strong for him at the higher weight. I also think Holyfield would beat Roy.

Roy was still super fast at that time, but I believe he would have frozen up at some point against Tyson, just long enough to get smashed.

If you've ever seen how Roy acts around Tyson on camera, he is VERY respectfully and friendly to him. He fears the man, as most sensible human beings do.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even the most washed up version of Tyson could have crushed any sub 200 opponent. That Tyson was still extremely dangerous.

Roy was one of the most brilliant boxers of all time but come on, he was not REALLY Superman lol

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ruiz was a difficult fight for Jones. Ruiz also held on to the title for quite a while so that victory by Roy is fantastic.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information