Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Well shat we got to debate this, 2 of the premeir defenders and couterpunchers of the past 35 yrs

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: James Toney vs Winky Wright at Middleweight Who Wins???

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default James Toney vs Winky Wright at Middleweight Who Wins???

Alright I know James Toney hasnt seen Middleweight since before the internet was invented,but as the question is we got 2 of the 3 best defenders/counterpunchers of the past 35 years, if Toney of years ago met the Wright of today at Middleweight who would win??

Here are some of the factors, please feel free to add anything variatables that I may of missed..

I know Winky's guard is as formidable as the walls of Troy but eventually they were conquered...I think James would be the one to do it

1)Winky likes to make you pay when you try to open up and tag him, James is THE MASTER at ducking and slipping punches I could see James tagging and rolling Wink's returning punches and frusrating Winky, YES I SAID IT FRUSTRATE WINKY....

2) James would be the bigger man at Middle and possesses alot more power

3) Both men have outstanding chins...I think Toney's is just that much better

4) James is probably the 2nd most confident man that ever Boxed 2nd only to ALI...In a close matchup every attribute and advantage counts regardless of how small it is James almost always wins the psychological warfare

5)Both possess tremendous focus and poise in the ring..

6)Stamina would not be an issue for either..

I guess what I am saying is I believe James "Lights Out" Toney pulls out a UD against Wink or even possibly a very late accumalitive TKO...James to Big and to much power I dont see were Winky's advantages outshine Toney's..

Thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: James Toney vs Winky Wright at Middleweight Who Wins???

Man no one wanted to take a stab at this one huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watch toneys fights as a middleweight. the guy was dazzling.
    he would have peppered winky if he covered up like he does. You think winky has a good defense...lol.

After some humiliating rounds, toney stops Winky wright in the 8th. i cant believe of ppl voted winky to outpoint toney. you mustn't have seen the middleweight toney...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

YOu obviously have not watched Winky fight very much, and haven't seen the Toney-Nunn fight... Winky IMO is a hard opponent for Toney to beat... He is almost impossible to counter because he gets his hands back quickly. He has better or just as good of timing as young Toney. And his jab would really bother JT. That being said Toney is an ATG, and would almost any fighter a run for their money. THis I see going either way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyone that has seen the Wright Vargas fight knows that there is more to Wright than just his infallable defense & pin point jab.

Toney's no one trick poney...but neither is Wright.

Personally...I think that James Toney was one of the great middles of our times.

That being said...I think that Wright was/is the greatest middle of our time. He's yet to prove that he's as good of a middle as he was a light...but he did defeat the "great" Trinidad in a shutout, made Mosley look less than spectacular, & also beat Taylor, IWO.

In the end...I honestly believe that the fight would draw out. I don't think either man has the power to knock the other out & I think that Wright's defense & jab negates the majority of Toney's work. Countering Wright is next to impossible as was shown against Soliman.

I would lean towards Wright out of fandom...but truthfully...it's a tuff call because I think that Toney was at his best in the 160-168 range.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is very tough to call. Flip a coin and i'll settle for either.

Thread Information