Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Golovkin v Murray - Preview and Videos

Looking forward to this one

On 21st February 2014 at the plush Salles des Etoiles, Monte Carlo, fans and boxing hacks alike get to ask the same set of questions that has followed the build-up of every Gennady Golovkin fight since Grzegorz Proska in 2012; is there a fighter out there right now more feared than Golovkin? More touted than Golovkin? More of a jukebox of catchy yet confused idioms as Golovkin?

It’s completely understandable why the boxing media have taken to Golovkin; he’s a baby-faced assassin that speaks passable English and obliterates opponents with savage power masked as politeness. And he’s a nice guy. What more can you ask for?

The answer to that question and the first that is usually asked by those not entirely convinced by the Kazakh is “Who has he fought, really? He doesn’t have a legitimate, world-class name on this résumé.” That may be a fair point of criticism but who are we kidding? The politics of boxing today are such that shifting power bases and alliances means everyone is focused on self-interest rather than the betterment of the sport and pleasing the fanbase. Golovkin, Tom Loeffler and the rest of the roster at K2 are closer to neutral territory than Golden Boy and Top Rank and (in this writer’s humble opinion) outside the poisonous grip of Al Haymon. Despite all of this, Golovkin still hasn’t managed to bag a marquee name and this fight is another stepping stone to that eventual goal.

And that’s not to take anything away from Martin Murray. The St. Helens, UK native is a durable opponent, where one could argue he was robbed against Sergio Martinez (in Martinez’s own backyard) and Felix Sturm (again, in Sturm’s own backyard). Despite only recording 12 KOs in 29 wins, he’s a solid puncher and although may not trouble Golovkin in that area, may prove to be closer to Osumanu Adama and Curtis Stevens, rather than Daniel Geale. That is, someone who could take Golovkin closer to the middle and late rounds by being stubborn and workmanlike rather than trying to trade blows or out-manoeuvre Golovkin’s suffocating pressure.

It’s also telling that Golovkin has stated to ESPN that he “needs a decision fight.” Does he? I’m not sure if this is a ploy to catch the ears of potential opponents or to communicate to the fans and media that this is a closer fight than most think in order to boost its profile. Whatever the case, it signals a slight shift in tone; before it was all about KO stats and records, now its decisions and rounds in the bank. Personally, I think it’s wise as he can’t continue to scare off opposition at this rate whilst being unable to offer suitable financial compensation (or a team of medics).

But for Murray, this is another bite at the cherry and he’s got enough fight in him to put on a great show. He’s been consistently proving himself at an international level, even if it is just short of the elite class. So if Adama and Stevens both got a shot, why not him? He has a better record than both although not as many KOs as Stevens (Stevens has clocked up 20 to Murray’s 12) so on paper, the argument could be made that he’s a touch above those guys.

So what lies in store in Monaco?

Murray will need to feed off the crowd’s energy, but it won’t be there.

And that’s not because the fans that will travel to see him won’t be in good voice. It will be because a fight between sips of vintage Chateaux Margaux is wildly opulent and the shouts of encouragement will be absorbed gracefully by the velvet upholstery. But such is the Salles des Etoiles, where boxing form is perhaps not as deeply scrutinized as the menu. So if this wasn’t already an uphill battle for Murray, he will have to focus in what will be unfamiliar surroundings for most boxers. Partisan chants and abuse is one thing, but the clinking of wine glasses and silver cutlery? Golovkin will be comfortable as he’s been here before, so it will immediately play to his advantage and it will be up to the St. Helens faithful to provide as much support as possible for their man.

Golovkin will need to decide early whether to go for the KO.

All the talk is well and good but when the two fighters step into the ring, each will have to quickly assess how their pre-fight plan stacks up against the real thing. In Golovkin’s case, he will have to feel Murray out quickly and decide whether or not to end it early or bank in some rounds, which have been hard to come by. In my opinion, Murray will be more stubborn and so going for the KO early may not be a good idea but as Golovkin showed against Daniel Geale, the right punch may be enough to end the night early.

Murray on the other hand, will have to show that he’s not going to be just a spectator and highlight reel material for the Kazakh destroyer. I believe Murray will be preparing for a long night, to absorb lots of punishment and prove that he can be a factor at the elite level. So it may all be one-way traffic, but if Murray can find a way to push back, stay off the ropes and maintain the fight in the center of the ring, he may go as far as or further than GGG’s previous victims.

Prediction

I’m hopeful that this is a more action packed fight and that Murray can hold his own against Golovkin. I see the same pattern that follows most of Golovkin’s fights in the early rounds; the constant pressure and strong jab set the tone, at which point we will see if Murray can withstand it or crumble. I feel that as it goes into the middle rounds, Murray will find his way back a bit and even catch Golovkin, who despite his monstrous power remains a hittable target. But past this, the accumulation of punishment will take its toll on Murray and his corner may pull him out or the referee may have to step in.

Golovkin to win via TKO (Round 9-10)
    Bet on Red: Golovkin vs. Murray Preview - Boxing.com

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Golovkin v Murray - Preview and Videos

This fight will be on hbo which I'm happy to see. I hope it is a fight, ggg might make it quick but Murray has a lot riding on this so I hope to see him do well. I'm a big ggg fan but if Murray did manage to win which I don't expect, I would probably be just as happy. Murray has a good story and both these guys seem like truly decent humble chaps.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's just the fact that Murray can't punch the means he'll lose, he's a tough fighter so we will get to see what Golovkins power is really like and i just see Murray on the ropes getting bashed up left right and centre till the ref stops the fight

I fully expect Golovkin to take him out around 7-8 rounds

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

golovkin is one sorry sack of rat s***

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like the guy

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George Groves on Golovkin

World super-middleweight contender 'Saint' George Groves has experienced firsthand the quality of reigning WBA Super world middleweight champion Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin, but insists Martin Murray is the man to test the Kazakh destroyer when they meet on Saturday (February 21) in Monte Carlo.

Groves, a two-time world title challenger, spent a week in training camp with Golovkin last summer and the pair sparred a number of rounds together. It offered the Londoner the chance to see exactly why Golovkin, 31-0 (28 KOs), is the most feared fighter on the planet right now.

“Sometimes you get a quick puncher who hits hard, like Mike Tyson, but you assume they're not going to last that long,” said Groves. “After three or four rounds, it's likely they'll tire. But Golovkin has a style that allows him to set his own rhythm and get into his own groove and it's hard to knock him out of it.

“To beat him, you can't only be good at one thing. If you're just fast, you won't beat him. If you just have power, you won't beat him. He has so much time in the pocket to work you out. He'll find the openings.

“The most impressive thing I discovered was that he's exceptional at setting traps. He'll have guys thinking they'll avoid his punch power and move around the ring, yet he cuts the ring off, feints, sets traps and quickly gets them to fight his fight.

“It doesn't take him long. Once the ring closes on them, he goes to work and he has a great variety of shots, he works the body well, and, when he sees an opening, he has so much time. He's a wily old cat who can really bite.

“Ultimately, you're always on a knife edge with someone like Golovkin. You've got to be prepared to punch with him. You've got to be prepared to take a shot to land a shot at times. If you're too concerned about getting hit, you'll panic, make a mistake and end up getting hit and hurt. You have to try and land some shots of your own and command his respect. If he's got nothing to worry about, he'll be in that groove and rhythm of his all day.

“And you're not dealing with a technically poor fighter who has incredible punch power. He has incredible punch power and elite-level technical ability. This means he's always in the right place at the right time, with perfect balance, to land some of the most hurtful shots in boxing. That's a scary thing for most opponents.”

Groves concedes that Murray, 29-1-1 (12 KOs), isn't the type to get scared or overawed when placed in a daunting situation. In fact, he's shown in previous world title tilts, against Felix Sturm and Sergio Martinez, that he's the sort of fighter who rises to the occasion.

“I think Martin Murray is certainly a world-class operator and he has looked exceptional at times, usually when asked to step up,” said Groves. “He's proven himself to be one of the best in the division.

“Golovkin has gone through every one of his opponents like a hot knife through butter, so you wouldn't back against him or begrudge him being the favourite, but I get the impression Murray is a very tough man to beat. He's strong, he has a good boxing brain, he has a good variety of punches and he's very experienced.

“I also like the fact Murray has a bit of a maverick approach to boxing. He isn't signed to a standard UK promoter, he's got his own ideas and I understand and appreciate that. He's his own man. In these circumstances, that's the best way to be. And, with the hype around Golovkin, ignorance and single-mindedness could be a real blessing.

“Also, Golovkin is so busy and has been boxing so well, it could be very easy for him to take his eye off the ball or go a little easy in training because he knows he's scheduled for another three or four fights this year.

“Murray is not the sort of opponent you can take lightly. He can change and adapt to a certain degree; we've seen him fight up close with a tight guard and not give much away, and we've seen him box at mid-range and long-range behind a good jab and straight punches. He also looks like he's got good physical strength, so he'll be able to stand toe-to-toe when he needs to.

“All in all, I think it will definitely be one of Golovkin's hardest fights. I don't think Murray will crumble or get taken out early. We've seen good, durable fighters like Matthew Macklin and Daniel Geale crumble early against him, but I don't see Murray going that way.”

*** Boxing superstar Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin defends his WBA Super world middleweight title against Britain's Martin Murray on Saturday, February 21 in Monte Carlo, LIVE on Channel 5 ***

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting views from Groves who sparred GGG last year. He doesn't think Murray will crumble but seems very impressed with Golvkin's ability. It's a good read

George Groves talks sparring GGG; says Murray causes problems
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    I like the guy
    He is a breath of fresh air. He has injected excitement back into the division and has real depth to his ability. We have not seen the best of him yet and already he has lit up boxing. He has went through a lot of shit but used it to fuel him and it has worked. If you don't look forward to watching someone like that work then you have a serious chip on your shoulder. The fight can't come soon enough.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ggg too fast. murray has puncher's chance.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    ggg too fast. murray has puncher's chance.
    Except Murray isn't a puncher
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looking forward to this one... should be action-packed as long as it lasts.
    What I'd really like to see, however, is GGG in the ring with Chavez Jr.
    I'd buy a ringside seat and hopefully Junior would be dropped right next to where I was sitting so I could laugh over his prone body.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I disagree with him saying ggg could take the eye off the ball or not train as hard, I don't think he's that type of fighter.I hope not, but there is a decent chance Murray could be laid out early. I was at the ggg Macklin fight and you could feel every thump Mac took, he got ko by a body shot and he didn't get up for ten minutes. Ggg just looks way to happy and comfortable in every fight except when he gets that executioner look as he comes in.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I disagree with him saying ggg could take the eye off the ball or not train as hard, I don't think he's that type of fighter.I hope not, but there is a decent chance Murray could be laid out early. I was at the ggg Macklin fight and you could feel every thump Mac took, he got ko by a body shot and he didn't get up for ten minutes. Ggg just looks way to happy and comfortable in every fight except when he gets that executioner look as he comes in.
    BBB deCAPolises GGG by the sea.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Golovkin seems very good, but I want to see him go some rounds and be forced to think. That hasn't really happened yet.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG is just a machine nothing puts him out of his stride , Murray is tough , but that may lead to a very painful beating.

GGG - TKO - 7

Thread Information