Danny Williams admits he may be ready to quit the ring after his third-round stoppage by Audley Harrison.

But the popular Brixton heavyweight has called on British fight fans to get behind Harrison's bid for any future world title assault.

"Maybe for me it might be time to say goodbye," said the former British and Commonwealth champion, 33.

"Audley is number one now and people should support him, but that may well be the last time you see me in there."

Williams suffered a broken nose and needed six sitches on a deep cut to his left eye as he was stopped two minutes, 33 seconds into the third round of the hastily-arranged non-title rematch.

I was ready for this fight, I had been in training for eight weeks so I felt well prepared, there are no excuses

Danny Williams

And he admitted that he had probably taken enough punishment in his career.

"It's still early, I'll speak to my dad, he's the one who got me into boxing and we'll take it from here, but that could well be it," he said.

Always a man of honour, former world title challenger Williams, who has lost six of his 42 fights, was typically gracious in defeat and saluted Harrison for his performance.

"I was ready for this fight, I had been in training for eight weeks so I felt well prepared, there are no excuses," he said.

Williams, whose career-highlight was beating former undisputed world champion Mike Tyson before being knocked out by then WBC title-holder Vitali Klitschko in 2004, admitted that time had caught up with him.

"In those fights, some of the shots I took were tremendous and these things take years out of you.

"When you take a lot of them over your career, it's like chopping down a tree - you just keep chipping away at it.

"To be fair to Audley he was on the top of his game.

"His hand speed was tremendously sharp and he was right on it and I was very impressed with him.

"I knew he would be up for it at the weigh-in - I could see it in his eyes - and that's why I tried to wind him up and unsettle him. But give him credit he was on top and I've no complaints."

With his height and reach Audley will hard for anyone to beat

Danny Williams

Williams beat Harrison in a dire 12-round clash at the same venue last December.

But he insists it is time for the man pilloried as "Fraudley" after a string of lacklustre professional performances to be recognised as the country's number one after this clinical revenge mission.

"Maybe he should fight Matt Skelton and find out - then people should get behind that person," Williams said.

606 DEBATE: Your reaction to Williams' defeat

With Harrison talking up a possible challenge to IBF world champion Wladimir Klitschko in the adjoining dressing room, Williams admitted he had few arguments.

"As long as he fights like that and adopts the same tactics he could do well. With his height and reach he's going to be hard for anyone to beat," he said.

"You can't go in and not expect to get hurt, you have to show aggression and fight with your heart and be a warrior and if he does that he could do it."

Williams admitted that he may retire without fulfilling his ultimate goal.

"I really, truly believed that after winning the Tyson fight I would be world champion," he added.

"I was never able to reach that level again but I was British and Commonwealth champion for a long time so I'm happy about that."

Promoter Frank Warren hopes Williams will stick with his plans to retire.

"Danny is a warrior, he always has been but I genuinely think it's time for him to call it a day.

"He looked tired in there. I'll talk to him in the next week or so and try to convince him he's made the right decision to end his career."

Very impressed by Danny's post fight words. The king of the excuse this time made none, said he had time to prepare and that Audley performed brilliantly.

Danny, despite his faults deserves credit imo both for the way he's conducted himself in the aftermath of the fight and for agreeing to take the fight at short notice in the first place.

Twice this year he came to Frank Warren's rescue at the last minute when the main bill fell through.

Not sure if he will retire now but I think he can go with his head held high.