8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Paul Williams possibly returning to Welterweight in May

Paul Williams Welterweight Return May Happen on May 8 - Boxing News

An excerpt from the article and a quote by Dan Goosen,

If we make the decision to go back down to welterweight, the statement we want to make to all of the welterweights is ‘don’t dare say you’re the best welterweight when Paul is in that division. Don’t dare say you’re fighting the best welterweight unless Paul Williams is in the other corner.’"
    Also Goosen says he talked to Williams trainer that a drop to 147 wouldn't be a problem.

The man was run out of the welterweight division because everyone ducked him. If Tommy Hearns another 1 of my favorites was around today, the same thing would also happened to him. In a way I don't really see any of the top welterweights taking him on. It's considered to be too risky and the reward isn't high enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Paul Williams possibly returning to Welterweight in May

Doesn't sound healthy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, this doesn't sound healthy. Especially considering how active PWill is. He better take a tune up at 147 first and see how his body reacts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well, welter is where the action is. the best 2, arguably 3, fighters in the game are there...and williams could make an argument for 4, as he doesn't get enough credit for defeating, indeed fighting, the impenetrable winky wright.

pbf is srl, pac is duran, and williams is hearns. mosley as hagler doesn't make sense but he is a bit of an aaron pryor, except this time srl gave him a fight.

the great ones fight the great ones. this is what its all about. i welcome williams move.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Am i the only one who thinks Winky is finished?

Paul Williams needs to fight who ever he can get.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well lets be honest, most the guys at 147 are big PPV fighters who are getting 8 figure paydays every fight. Williams is a nightmare for anyone at 147 and is not a big name, who will fight Williams??

Mayweather,Pac and Mosley ( well if Mosley beats Mayweather ) cant see them going near Williams to high risk not enough reward. Only fight I can see now is the rematch with Margarito other than that I cant see the top boys giving him the time of day.

I think Williams display at 160 against not a big puncher and a 154 fighter showed he don't belong at Middleweight, I hope to see the big fights but I cant see it personally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manju View Post
    well, welter is where the action is. the best 2, arguably 3, fighters in the game are there...and williams could make an argument for 4, as he doesn't get enough credit for defeating, indeed fighting, the impenetrable winky wright.

pbf is srl, pac is duran, and williams is hearns. mosley as hagler doesn't make sense but he is a bit of an aaron pryor, except this time srl gave him a fight.

the great ones fight the great ones. this is what its all about. i welcome williams move.

The fact that Winky had not fought for nearly 2 years and also was nearly 38 years old and has not fought since the Williams defeat takes the gloss from the victory, It was a decent win but nothing more. Winky was a 37 1/2 year old inactive fighter who was coming off a defeat at 175.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post

The fact that Winky had not fought for nearly 2 years and also was nearly 38 years old and has not fought since the Williams defeat takes the gloss from the victory, It was a decent win but nothing more. Winky was a 37 1/2 year old inactive fighter who was coming off a defeat at 175.
    To be fair there wasn't anything Wright could have done in his prime to make that outcome any different. His age was not a factor, it was his style.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post

To be fair there wasn't anything Wright could have done in his prime to make that outcome any different. His age was not a factor, it was his style.

I'm not saying he would of beat him at any other time in his career but his inactivity imo and his age was a big factor to how the fight went ( total shut out) Winky after not fighting at the weight for nearly three years and not fighting for two at nearly 38 did him no favours.

Was New York, Cali most recently to present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Paul Williams has options, losers of the Mayweather Mosley fight and Pac Clottey fight are both options. Mosley has said in the past that he would give Williams his just due lets see he if keeps his word and after Mayweather what are his options, assuming that he loses? Williams is a bigger draw than Berto imo
    McGirt recalling the minute break between the 9th round of the Ward fight "He said, 'Help me stand up and I'll finish the fight.'"

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would be surprised if Williams could still make 147. I mean if he could do it comfortably he would be a true freak of nature. We all know the success rate of fighters moving back down in weight.

Assuming he could make weight, there are a lot of fresh faces at 147 he could take a tune-up against to get reestablished there (Aydin, Zaveck, Soto Karass, et. al.) and then go for the losers of Mayweather/Mosley or Pac/Clottey. If I was William's handler I would focus on making him the man at 154 now that he has an official win over Martinez there really isn't any one else there to give him any problems, nor do any of those guys have the leverage to back out on him. I would love to see Williams/Cintron.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really dont see it but economically it makes all of the cents in the world.Looks like a shot across the bow of the Welter cash cows in Mayweather and Pac but they are tied up...and have what I feel are 50-50 fights in the offing.Short term Williams options are at Jr mid or Middle....most likely Martinez vs Pavlik winner.Frankly Martinez merits a rematch in what was a very fan friendly talked about fight and Williams looks comfy at weight.Just think his forward style and defense leaks are about to catch up to him.

Williams betrays his natural physical gifts,his Hearns esq frame and thats where the comparisons end.Hearns demanded attention with his break out pulverizing of a long reigning champion in Cuevas where as Williams biggest 'gotcha' moments have been a close...yes close....win over Margarito and a rematch KO of previous victor Quintana.Maybe unfair but can you see Hearns losing to a Quintana...I cant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    I would be surprised if Williams could still make 147. I mean if he could do it comfortably he would be a true freak of nature. We all know the success rate of fighters moving back down in weight.

Assuming he could make weight, there are a lot of fresh faces at 147 he could take a tune-up against to get reestablished there (Aydin, Zaveck, Soto Karass, et. al.) and then go for the losers of Mayweather/Mosley or Pac/Clottey. If I was William's handler I would focus on making him the man at 154 now that he has an official win over Martinez there really isn't any one else there to give him any problems, nor do any of those guys have the leverage to back out on him. I would love to see Williams/Cintron.
    I am absolutely with you on this. Can Williams really make a healthy147 again? And you are right the success rate of coming down 2 weight classes can't be good. Especially at Williams' height. His frame is too long and he is already very lean to just be going up and then back down 2 weight classes. I doubt he'll look good against his first 147 opponent unless its a tune up. And I too would like to see Williams make a Cintron fight first and then see how he feels working back down.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margarito gave Williams a shot at welterweight.

And Williams was lucky to get that decision against Martinez last time out, whom I thought beat him.

So I dunno what he's bitchin about.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This will add extra excitement to the Welter division. Great if he can get down and be dangerous.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information