Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upon watching Rocky II, I noticed II things...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Upon watching Rocky II, I noticed II things...

Upon watching Rocky II (for the 1st time ever!), I noticed II things...

1. As i guess a lot of you know... Rocky - usually a southpaw slugger - starts the fight as a right hander. Ol' Mick thought this would be a great idea as Apollo would of no doubt trained hard to beat a Left handed fighter. The same Left handed fighter Apollo had foolishly underrated in the 1st fight.

Upon confusing Apollo, the slick mover, with an orthodox approach. The intention was to then switch back to 'Southern' and lay the smack down on Creed.

It worked a charm.

Now... I could be reaching a little bit here but does anyone think that maybe one day, some 20 years ago a man called Marvin Hagler was going over his tapes of Sugar Ray Leonard in preparation of their upcoming fight and by chance came across this beauty and thought ''Ya, i'll start off right-handed, that'll confuse him good n proper. Then all I have to do is turn Southern and lay the smack down on that sissy''.

Off course, Marvin fighting righthanded didn't work at all! Infact all it did was allow a rusty Ray Leonard to settle in to the fight even quicker than even Ray Leonard himself would have imagined.

Like i say, i could be reaching but i have a feeling Marvin Hagler got caught watching to many Rocky Movies...

Oh, i almost forgot...

2. Roberto Duran plays Rocky's sparing parter

Chow!
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Upon watching Rocky II, I noticed II things...

lol wtf.

in related news, I hear raging bull was a good movie.

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If it was why Hagler changed stance then he regrets it to this day and he should kick Stallone in the balls for even suggesting it.

Got a idea for a new thread.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie View Post

2. Roberto Duran plays Rocky's sparing parter.
    Yeah if you ever see some of Durans early fights he has Rocky on his robe when he fought Buchanan even his cornermens jackets said

"Rocky" Duran on them

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lol... I know... a World Champion doesn't forget how to fight an orthodox fighter... It may throw him off for the couple of seconds it takes him to notice that the guy isn't standing southpaw, but that's all...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read a little nugget of info on that switch to southpaw in Sly's book. Stallone was having a private bench pressing competition with Franco Columbu (Mr Universe) during filming and his right pec exploded, requiring a metal cable insert in the shoulder and 160 stitches. This happened before they could finish the end fight scene and Stallone could only really use his left arm for the time being, so had to use that southpaw switch to enable the movie to be finished.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. As i guess a lot of you know... Rocky - usually a southpaw slugger - starts the fight as a right hander. Ol' Mick thought this would be a great idea as Apollo would of no doubt trained hard to beat a Left handed fighter. The same Left handed fighter Apollo had foolishly underrated in the 1st fight.

Upon confusing Apollo, the slick mover, with an orthodox approach. The intention was to then switch back to 'Southern' and lay the smack down on Creed.

It worked a charm.

Now... I could be reaching a little bit here but does anyone think that maybe one day, some 20 years ago a man called Marvin Hagler was going over his tapes of Sugar Ray Leonard in preparation of their upcoming fight and by chance came across this beauty and thought ''Ya, i'll start off right-handed, that'll confuse him good n proper. Then all I have to do is turn Southern and lay the smack down on that sissy''.

Off course, Marvin fighting righthanded didn't work at all! Infact all it did was allow a rusty Ray Leonard to settle in to the fight even quicker than even Ray Leonard himself would have imagined.

Like i say, i could be reaching but i have a feeling Marvin Hagler got caught watching to many Rocky Movies...

Oh, i almost forgot...

Chow!
    You're not reaching a little bit, you're reaching a lot. No way would Hagler or the Petronelli bros base their tactics on a film which had shoddy boxing knowledge at best.

Oh & the Rocky films are all complete shit. Fact.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was only on watching it the other day that I noticed the numbers on Rocky's house DO add up to nine
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    If it was why Hagler changed stance then he regrets it to this day and he should kick Stallone in the balls for even suggesting it.

Got a idea for a new thread.
    He doesn't have any. Too many steroids.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post

It worked a charm.

Oh, i almost forgot...

Chow!
    You're not reaching a little bit, you're reaching a lot. No way would Hagler or the Petronelli bros base their tactics on a film which had shoddy boxing knowledge at best.

The first one was good for sure but the rest were crap.....Hell in Rocky 3 in one of Rocky's flashback scenes after getting his ass handed to hi9m by Clubber Lang he is getting his ass kicked with the Red, White and blue trunks on that he doesnt get until another 40 min into the movie

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    lol wtf.

in related news, I hear raging bull was a good movie.
    Yes, yes it was.

I particularly enjoy the scene where he beats up his brother in front of his kids and then knockouts out his wife.

"You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post

It worked a charm.

Oh, i almost forgot...

Chow!

The first one was good for sure but the rest were crap.....Hell in Rocky 3 in one of Rocky's flashback scenes after getting his ass handed to hi9m by Clubber Lang he is getting his ass kicked with the Red, White and blue trunks on that he doesnt get until another 40 min into the movie
    I have quite a soft spot for the second one as well. The 3rd and 4th just seemed like different films entirely and not in a good way. Rocky 5 was pushing to get the feel of the first two but seemed forced and lacking. There were some nice touches in Rocky Balboa, but Stallone just looked so old in that. Hopefully that's it now!

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rocky 5 never existed, it never happened.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post

I have quite a soft spot for the second one as well. The 3rd and 4th just seemed like different films entirely and not in a good way. Rocky 5 was pushing to get the feel of the first two but seemed forced and lacking. There were some nice touches in Rocky Balboa, but Stallone just looked so old in that. Hopefully that's it now!

To be honest I would have like Rocky Balboa better if he did not fight and they just made it something that showed how he ended up and maybe he got to hook up with Marie

Rocky 5 was just insanely horrible

Thread Information