Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Oscar have the wrong strategy?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Did Oscar have the wrong strategy?

Why does everyone go looking for Floyd?
    We all know he boxes superbly on the back foot so why play into his hands?
    You need him to commit to create the openings,it may have been boring (if Oscar sat back) for a while but Oscar was the champ and i feel went about it the wrong way.
    34 years old and trying to hunt down one, if not maybe the greatest athlete the fight game has ever seen.
    If (if) there was a rematch then i for one would like to see Oscar totaly change his gameplan then see what happens.
    He had no plan B at all and by the 9th was just walking into Floyd with no jab whatsoever.
    Just my thoughts after re-watching it for the 6th time earlier.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did Oscar have the wrong strategy?

Yeah it was quite bizarre watching him WALK into punches and that's when I began to SCREAM because it was just so ridiculous.

However, I think Oscar standing flatfooted and making Floyd come to him would have been a slaughter. In the first round, look at how Oscar reacts to every single feint Floyd does. I figured he would be able to time Floyd possibly, but the way he was reacting to those feints, not a chance. I think moving forward with the jab was so damn effective. Floyd could not do anything but move backwards and while Oscar was not landing to much on the ropes, he was negating Floyd's offense and he did have some success to the body with some shoe shiners.

But Oscar making Floyd come to him, he was off balance with his hands with those feints and that's why Floyd has been able to get inside out so effectively throughout his career by keeping his opponent off balance, I figured Oscar would be different. He wasn't.

I think the jab is the key. Not only the jab but moving forward with the jab. Floyd just moved backwards from it, which is what De La Hoya wants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Smashup
    Why does everyone go looking for Floyd?
    We all know he boxes superbly on the back foot so why play into his hands?
    You need him to commit to create the openings,it may have been boring (if Oscar sat back) for a while but Oscar was the champ and i feel went about it the wrong way.
    34 years old and trying to hunt down one, if not maybe the greatest athlete the fight game has ever seen.
    If (if) there was a rematch then i for one would like to see Oscar totaly change his gameplan then see what happens.
    He had no plan B at all and by the 9th was just walking into Floyd with no jab whatsoever.
    Just my thoughts after re-watching it for the 6th time earlier.
    Yeah, I think that he definitely used the wrong strategy. I think that he should have been moving forward but he should have jab to setup his punches. If you think about it, that's really boxing 101. Also, he should have worked more in the middle of the ring which is where Floyd was relying on his offense working. I'm not sure if he thought he would tire from throwing jabs or something. It was very unusual considering that Floyd didn't even counter the jab at all so I don't know what Oscar was waiting for.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did he ever have a real chance chasing someone of that speed at his age

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar won the last round, he had plenty in the tank imo. And when he chased with the jab, it wasn't really chasing. Floyd would always get flatfooted on the ropes. The other times Floyd stood his ground, Oscar walked in and would get popped and Floyd would move a bit, walk in get popped, rinse and repeat. I know everybody and their mother is saying it, but the jab was the key to the fight and prevented Floyd from just standing in and potshotting. Him abandoning the jab is on par with Hagler going southpaw imo. Just inexplicable.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roach should have told him in no uncertain terms to keep flicking out the jab,it was crazy that he seemed to just stop when he was cearly ahead at one stage.
    Strange one that,even Oscar himself (with all his experience) should have known better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I sure dont think so I think Oscar went right after Floyd as he should have to win and I still believe in the peoples eye he did win. I was out last night and people were giving big props to Del La Hoya at the cinco de Mayo partys in SB.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well the fact that Oscar was constantly moving forward helped him in the eyes of the fans of course, as well it should have. But for him to have reasonably won the fight, he needed the jab and in the 9th, 10th and 11th, the most crucial junction of the fight, he let it go. Yeah he moved forward and proved courageous, but it made that great last round insignificant really.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i don't think he had anything left in the last 3 rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What is all this nonsense talk people Oscar won.... period
    I mean how much he earned in that fight plus he has Millie Corretjer that is a winner for me
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Typical post fight questions and deja vu all over again, Smash... Floyd was like the Pied Piper Saturday night had Oscar handcuffed for the most part walking forward not throwing and Floyd making him pay we have seen it atleast 3x before Coralles, Gatti, Baldomir all like deers in the headlight...

Although Oscar is better than any of the 3 mentioned and didnt get beat up like them but none the less he fell victim to being the walking Zombie.. I dont think its so much Oscars strategy but Floyds exceptional skill, there is a reason a fighter dosent stick to the plan........ Because his opponent wont let him... You could see it in Oscars face and body language in the corner between rounds.. beginning in the third round, Oscar was frustrated and thrown off his plan mentally Floyd is one of the best at that  

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok so if Oscar stood and boxed on the back foot what do you think would have happened?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Puya
    What is all this nonsense talk people Oscar won.... period
    I mean how much he earned in that fight plus he has Millie Corretjer that is a winner for me
    I love how you losers like to point to everything but the fight and the result. Mayweather's gonna walk away with around 20 Million. That's not to shabby either.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SERIOUS money

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm pretty sure he was joking

And JT, I don't think Floyd did anything to deter Oscar from using the jab except for the fact that he missed a ton of punches but even then, he had to have sensed that he won the round. Floyd had no answers in terms of offense for the jab.

Thread Information