Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How good was Aron Pryor??

I've heard this debate a few times in seperate threads so thought I'd make a thread for it. How highly do you rate him>? Where the top guys really all ducking him? How do you think he would have fared against them?

ICB Guest

Default Re: How good was Aron Pryor??

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    I've heard this debate a few times in seperate threads so thought I'd make a thread for it. How highly do you rate him>? Where the top guys really all ducking him? How do you think he would have fared against them?
    I think Leonard ducked him i heard he moved up in weight to avoid him as for how good Pryor was one of best ever at his weight class his relentless style and stamina+chin+speed were excellent i find it hard for anyone to beat him at his weight class Pryor feared no one he wanted to fight Duran aswell i heard but doubt that match up could of been made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe he only lost one time as a professional. He also beat Alexis Arguello which is no easy task.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't care for the music .. but the beginning of this is pretty damn funny .

[youtube=425,350]4j6Zels3i_U[/youtube]

" He would take your best punch, spit in your eye, and then kick your ass" - Budddy La Rosa.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought id bump this thread as i dont really know that mauch about Pryor either
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was pretty good. My Pop swears up and down SRL was duckin him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A couple of his opponents got unlucky enough to actually knock him down.

I say unlucky because if he got floored, he would just get pissed off and then beat the living daylights out of them.

He was a monster in the ring. So much Stamina and so much Relentlessness. I cannot think of anyone who could have beat him at 140. There may have been a couple who could deal with him, but they would be in the fight of their life.

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ITV 4 showed the clip where he had the bottle with the "mix". It was definitely suspicious as he was tired at the end of 12th and he had never gone further than that in his career which is what the commentator said against Arguello. Then he puts on that burst and stops him as if he had been "suped" up. He took some bombs from Arguello, particularly with the right hand so his chin was brilliant but where did he get that extra burst from will taint that fight. Leonard would have handled him at Welter, but he probably could have handled Duran, but do not know if he could have beaten him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I rank Pryor as the best 140lb Champion of all time ahead of Tszyu and Chavez. He could be reckless at times and get himself knocked down but that only meant danger for his opponents not him! The Leonard issue is something else again, let's just say SRL never went out of his way to accommodate a fight with Pryor at any time. SRL may well have outboxed him but Pryor was a machine and unstoppable at 140lb, 147lb may have been different. There is controversy surrounding him though and i will let others who know more about that explain.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Boxer View Post
    He was pretty good. My Pop swears up and down SRL was duckin him.
    Leonard did duck him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    I rank Pryor as the best 140lb Champion of all time ahead of Tszyu and Chavez. He could be reckless at times and get himself knocked down but that only meant danger for his opponents not him! The Leonard issue is something else again, let's just say SRL never went out of his way to accommodate a fight with Pryor at any time. SRL may well have outboxed him but Pryor was a machine and unstoppable at 140lb, 147lb may have been different. There is controversy surrounding him though and i will let others who know more about that explain.
    Ahh you are talking about the bottle his trainer "Mixed" hehe

I am not sure what advantages Cocaine may have gave him, but it was never truly confirmed I don't think.

I do know that his habit most likely shortened his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo View Post

Pryor is a funny subject...Not just on forums but in the boxing world in general.....It is almost like his name is taboo....Of course on the forums you will always have the idiot who has only one thing to say about him and that is the old...Gimme the Black Bottle...But unfairly at times that moment seems to be all some people know of him....I always sum Aaron up like this...

He wasn't the greatest boxer you will ever see but his boxing ability was underestimated....

He hit you until either you went down or he could not hit any more....

If you went toe to toe with a prime Pryor you were an idiot looking to get your ass kicked....If you tried to oubox him you found out even though you were a better boxer then he was it seemed to do you little good.....

He was a 140lb beast that could not be caged.....When people talk about guys like Tyson and Foreman and how they scared their opponents before the bell even rang or how when they attacked they were vicious....IMO those guys if you measured them up pound for pound against Pryor held nothing over the Hawk in terms of intimidation or in terms of brutality.....

I am not the biggest Pryor fan there ever was but I have always admired the level of his game was in the ring.....You had reason to be scared if there was ever a fighter to be scared of....

Did guys duck Pryor....Hard to say but they did not look to fight him that much is for sure

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im afraid I never rated him to any degree, he never beat a top Lt welter. He beat Arguello whose best days were aqs a super feather and struggled, never did it for me.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was a great fighter with an exciting style, but outside of Arguello his level of opposition wasnt as good as other great fighters from around his era. He was lucky that he retired with only one loss but he is no doubt an ATG imo.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i personly believe that he gets overlooked when talking about that era. Most people talk about SRL Hagler Hearns Duran. Pryor is normally not mentioned.

Thread Information