Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Vindication is sweet.

I won't throw this in guys faces too much about Pavlik because he proved me wrong, he has a great chin. However, Hopkins was absolutely amazing, I felt he beat Calzaghe, not every round like this fight, but I felt he won that fight in a close one, but one thing I noticed when I was watching Calzaghe fights then Pavlik fights is that Cazlaghe fights like he has chip on his shoudler, if you hit him, he will do everything in his power to dominate you. I didn't feel that from Pavlik in his second fight against Taylor, and I didn't think, coming in to the fight he would have that type of attitude which would be needed to wear Hopkins down like Calzaghe did.

Originally this is how I thought the fight would always go, but because of other people on here who are knowlegable I thought it could be a close fight that Pavlik could win because of his normally much higher punch count, but Hopkins took him to school. Once again Pavlik had a good style against Taylor, but Hopkins had a very bad style for Pavlik, I think Kelly would do a lot better against Calzaghe, Roy Jones Jr, etc, etc because they aren't slick like B-Hop.

All in all I am very proud of B-Hop he is one of my top 5 fav's ever, and I feel that this performance along with the rest of them puts him in the top 30 all time, beating Winky Wright, Trinidad, Calzaghe, Pavlik, Taylor, Tarver all at 40+ IMO is something nobody else will or could ever do. The reason I think he is so special is I thought Winky would dominate him, then Calzaghe, then I smartened up for his fight against Pavlik, and he did things I wouldn't have expected in my wildest dreams.
    Last edited by Taeth; 10-19-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Vindication is sweet.

u know wat u were right and i was wrong but bhop was always one of m favorite fighters ever since knocking out tito. but i had no idea it woul go like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I won't throw this in guys faces too much about Pavlik because he proved me wrong, he has a great chin. However, Hopkins was absolutely amazing, I felt he beat Calzaghe, not every round like this fight, but I felt he won that fight in a close one, but one thing I noticed when I was watching Calzaghe fights then Pavlik fights is that Cazlaghe fights like he a chip on his shoudler, if you hit him, he will do everything in his power to dominate you. I didn't feel that from Pavlik in his second fight against Taylor, and I didn't think, coming in to the fight he would have that type of attitude which would be needed to wear Hopkins down like Calzaghe did.

Originally this is how I thought the fight would always go, but because of other people on here who are knowlegable I thought it could be a close fight that Pavlik could win because of his normally much higher punch count, but Hopkins took him to school. Once again Pavlik had a good style against Taylor, but Hopkins had a very bad style for Pavlik, I think Kelly would do a lot better against Calzaghe, Roy Jones Jr, etc, etc because they aren't slick like B-Hop.

All in all I am very proud of B-Hop he is one of my top 5 fav's ever, and I feel that this performance along with the rest of them puts him in the top 30 all time, beating Winky Wright, Trinidad, Calzaghe, Pavlik, Taylor, Tarver all at 40+ IMO is something nobody else will or could ever do. The reason I think he is so special is I thought Winky would dominate him, then Calzaghe, then I smartened up for his fight against Pavlik, and he did things I wouldn't have expected in my wildest dreams.
    Agreed.
    Part of the reasons Pavliks style against JT was so good is because, well, it was Winky's style. And anyone else who keeps coming foward with straight punches can look good against JT too imo. Ouma looked good against JT at times. Fighters who throw wide punches, drop their guard, or stand in the pocket for too long (or on the ropes, or corner) usually get swarmed by people with good pressure and straights. Right place at the right time in my oppinion. He beat Miranda and Taylor, both men suffer from the exact same flaws, so technically, both men are tailor made for Pavliks style.

Bring in someone who won't stand infront of Pavlik long enough for him to do his best work, and you have what we saw tonight.

Great fight, i was highly entertained.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But he also stood his ground, Hopkins didn't give up ring space as easily tonight, and I think it throws off the guys who like to punch a lot, which is what I have been saying potentially of Cotto coming forward more against Margarito. I felt when Clottey stood his ground he was doing so well against Margarito, then he stopped doing it, he changed his(best word I can think of is aura) when his hand got hurt, and Margarito jumped on him, but to conserve energy you need to move less, and punch more. I think Marquez does the same thing against Pacquaio, He realized Pacquaio needs range to land that huge left, so if you mix it up and come forwad as well as moving away it screws up their range, but Hopkins showed more than that, he showed his amazing defensive skills, his ability to throw combinations, his speed. He may not be physically as fast as Mayweather or Roy JOnes, but because of his focus and experience his reaction speed and underrated athletic ability I think in terms of overall speed he matchs those guys.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with every word here and I'll be honest, I'm somewhat vindicated too

It didn't exactly go off as exactly I had thought out but I saw in the very opening seconds that Hopkins was making the jab miss and he was doing it with ease and Pavlik was shutting down that it was going to be a long night. Like you said Taeth at the start Hopkins was light on his feet and started just timing Kelly's step forward and getting off before Pavlik could even load up. Then he started just standing his ground and doing the same, he had Pavlik so weary he didn't commit to a single right hand he threw like he did against Miranda in the face of those bombs that Miranda had. It was because the jab he didn't think he could hit Hopkins.

Was absolutely fucking great and this is from a Pavlik fan and a guy who has had some hard feelings against B Hop after the Wright fight where I thought Winky got dirty old manned his way out of a title belt. Tonight it was just a teacher versus pupil and I hate to talk like this but B Hop made Pavlik his bitch to the point where Pavlik knew not to say anything but yes sir as Hopkins sent him to the principles office. Motherfucker bartender from my work who ordered it started playing music and I couldn't hear anything in the post fight except for that dialog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was choked when Hopkins began crying, that was a special moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Speed kills. Hopkins still has speed in punching and body movements. Pavlik had no speed whatsoever, in this fight. He barely had an offence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Positives for Pavlik.

I think his defense wasn't that bad, obviously he needs to work on stopping that right hand from coming over his jab, but all in all, I think he blocked a lot more shots then I thought he would. Hopkins is so accurate with combinations and counter punching that having him land 32% is pretty good, I also noticed that Hopkins noticed Pavlik's power which will play a role in any fight where he will be able to land on opponents, and I think he also proved he has a good chin(which I was wrong about). I think if he learns more to punch through adversity he still has skill sets to beat 99% of the opponents that you could throw in front of him, which I already knew to be the case. I view this more like Kessler-Calzaghe then Calzaghe-Lacy. Lacy didn't utilize his god given abilities, but Pavlik makes the most of his more modest abilities, and he will be 90 times better then Lacy will ever be. I just think Bernard, baring him getting super tired from being old, was the absolute worst opponent for Pavlik.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wasn't choked, actually in a way I was but not with tears or anything haha

But it was BADASS when he stared down press row. DAYAM, that shit was awesome. Sorry, I hate to do the hindsight deal, but how many were calling this a pointless fight even when it was signed? No one expected this and to be honest either but it was obviously a possibility and I believed Hopkins would have tremendous success just wasn't sure if it was going to account for 5 rounds or 7 with about 6 of the 12 close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Positives for Pavlik.

There was a major speed difference from the outset. I didn't expect hopkins to have that much of a speed advantage. I knew he was going to cut pavlik's offence but i had no idea that it would be as much as he did.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is somewhat gay.

But yes, it was a great performance.

And Hopkins did not beat Calzaghe at all. Get outta here with that kind of nonsense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think his defense wasn't that bad, obviously he needs to work on stopping that right hand from coming over his jab, but all in all, I think he blocked a lot more shots then I thought he would. Hopkins is so accurate with combinations and counter punching that having him land 32% is pretty good, I also noticed that Hopkins noticed Pavlik's power which will play a role in any fight where he will be able to land on opponents, and I think he also proved he has a good chin(which I was wrong about). I think if he learns more to punch through adversity he still has skill sets to beat 99% of the opponents that you could throw in front of him, which I already knew to be the case. I view this more like Kessler-Calzaghe then Calzaghe-Lacy. Lacy didn't utilize his god given abilities, but Pavlik makes the most of his more modest abilities, and he will be 90 times better then Lacy will ever be. I just think Bernard, baring him getting super tired from being old, was the absolute worst opponent for Pavlik.
    There may be many deficiencies in Pavlik's style of boxing, but there aren't that many fighters who can take advantage of them. Hopkins is in a class all his own.

Odd that anyone would have questions about Pavliks' chin after the first Taylor fight. How many fighters come off the canvas and dominate after getting hit with that many punches?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fair Enough. If i was overhyping, I failed I am mystified.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At the end of the night, credit to Joe Calzaghe. He is a sure champ.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Credit due. I really am speechless. Credit due.

Thread Information