Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Buying a car from an Auction

Anybody done/do it. I am looking to spend about £8000 on a used car and was thinking of going to the auctions. I have bought a couple of shitty cheap cars from the auctions before, but never this much dosh. I don't know whether to take the risk or to just buy privately/trade so can have it properly looked at.

Advice welcome
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Buying a car from an Auction

The one at Enfield is pretty reputable. I've been in and out of there for different people over the years.

Bought my car from there about three years ago. You have to know your stuff but yeah I'd suggest doing it.

I think Tuesday is whealer-dealers day. Go on a Tuesday and sus it out mate. Obviously, you don't have to buy anything.

http://www.british-car-auctions.co.u...t.aspx?page=61
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Take some one who can inspect the car before you buy. Most are sold as is, where is.

Heard a few horror stories about car auctions.

Be careful and double check everything.

Cheers

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

''Sold As Seen'' yeah you'll see that loads at Car Auctions.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope you get what you are after mate.

A very smart business man once told me 'you cant afford to buy anything cheap Andre'.

Took me a while and alot of cash to learn that one, but he was right.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good luck mate. Im sure there are bargains to be had at auction but like Ghost said take someone who knows what they are looking at and listening to.

If your anything like me you'd get caught up buying something nice and shiney on drive through without having a good look at it.

Personally if I had that much dough to play with I wouldnt go to auction but I suppose thats due to me not having that kind of money and seeing auctions as a place to pick up a cheap runaround. Like I said though, Im sure bargains can be had for all sorts of budgets.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers for the advice chaps.

I've been spoilt for the last few years, becuase I have always had company cars - last one (still sitting outside my house waiting to be collected) was a brand new BMW 320 Efficeint Dynamics, which was the nuts. Before that I had an Audi A4 S-Line. This new job is offering a monthly allowance rather than a company car, so I could lease a car, but that would mean commiting to 2-3 years and I don't know what will happen with new job. Plus if you lease you never own!

I aint got the kind of dosh to get an Audi or a BMW, so I am going for one of the new shape Mondeo's. I never thought I would be so impressed with a Ford, but they are the bollox in everyway

God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would love to go to an auction but never been to one. I would take a mechanic with you and I would try a couple out before bidding. Beware of auction fever, heat of the moment stuff where you bid for something you do not need. For £8k you could get good deals but with that kind of money I would buy from a dealer, unless you really know your cars.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My mum used to work at an auction when I first past my test. So she brought me a car from there the onsite mechanic pissed about with it so it sounded rough as owt and we got a bargain this goes on all the time go private :0)

Mentioned
    1683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Cheers for the advice chaps.

I've been spoilt for the last few years, becuase I have always had company cars - last one (still sitting outside my house waiting to be collected) was a brand new BMW 320 Efficeint Dynamics, which was the nuts. Before that I had an Audi A4 S-Line. This new job is offering a monthly allowance rather than a company car, so I could lease a car, but that would mean commiting to 2-3 years and I don't know what will happen with new job. Plus if you lease you never own!

I aint got the kind of dosh to get an Audi or a BMW, so I am going for one of the new shape Mondeo's. I never thought I would be so impressed with a Ford, but they are the bollox in everyway

Mondeo looks sweet always been impressed with them, they look like a Aston Martin.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information