Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If You Can Only Buy 1(PPV), Which Would It Be?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If You Can Only Buy 1(PPV), Which Would It Be?

Mayweather, Sept 17th
    B-Hop, Oct 15th
    Manny, Nov 12th
    Cotto, Dec 3rd

I already know, most of us is going to see all of these PPV fights. But which most would you rather see? Take out the undercard! HELL, with the undercard too!!!

BTW, which one these future HOFers is going to lose?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If You Can Only Buy 1(PPV), Which Would It Be?

Mayweather. I know he's not the most exciting but he is a joy to watch because when he gets in the ring he boxes how the rest of the world wish they could.

As for who will lose, i'll put it in order of who I think has most chance of losing..

1) Cotto
    2) B-Hop
    3) Pac
    4) Floyd

I actually think they'll all win but Cotto and B-Hop are definitely the most likely if any to lose. You can never write off JMM either but his age concerns me at this stage.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather-Ortiz. It's a big event, it's far more interesting than the other big one (JMM is well past his prime and is going to get destroyed IMO), and the undercard is awesome.

Second is definitely Hopkins-Dawson. Probably the most competitive of the bunch.

I didn't even realize Cotto had an opponent locked in. Are they going with the Margacheato rematch? I'd probably buy that over Pac/JMM III just because of the backstory. But Cotto vs. anyone else is not something I'd pay for at this point in his career.

But as you say, I'll end up buying all 4 as long as I'm not out of town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    Mayweather-Ortiz. It's a big event, it's far more interesting than the other big one (JMM is well past his prime and is going to get destroyed IMO), and the undercard is awesome.

Second is definitely Hopkins-Dawson. Probably the most competitive of the bunch.

I didn't even realize Cotto had an opponent locked in. Are they going with the Margacheato rematch? I'd probably buy that over Pac/JMM III just because of the backstory. But Cotto vs. anyone else is not something I'd pay for at this point in his career.

Yup!!!! The dude that cheated and could have sent Cotto to his grave is getting another chance!!! And it's at a catchweight!!!

All four event have something special about each of them. But you right, Mayweather vs Ortiz is the big event. Which leads to the next question. If Mayweather draw more money, can he use it as leverage over Pacman? I'll say he will try, but a 50/50 split is what a Pacman vs Mayweather fight should be!!!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly, I wouldn't spend upwards of $50 on any of them.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I couldn't disagree more. I see Ortiz getting dominated and taken out. I don't see any other possibility. I literally think there is very little chance of Ortiz winning. Maybe 15% chance. I've said 20% in other posts, but I think I'll go less than that.

I understand that the the fight between Manny and JMM is at 147 but doesn't JMM appears to be Pacquiao's kryptonite? I can see this one being a relatively close affair although I agree with the majority that it probably will result in Pacquiao winning.

Shza, if you check, there are many people on this board that believe Pacquiao lost twice to Marquez. Given that, I don't see how this fight is at least somewhat competitive. Marquez has figured Manny out to an extent. I see Marquez having a solid 35% chance of winning and a better chance at winning than Ortiz.

Hopkins was in fun fights with Pascal, but I believe that is as much Pascal's style as anything. When has Pascal been in a very bad fight? Usually, Hopkins isn't much fun (in the casual sense of the word) to watch. Dawson is very rarely in a fun fight. It is, however, the fight for light heavyweight supremacy, right?

Cotto and Margarito has the potential to be a lot of fun although it's not as significant as the other three fights.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Shza, if you check, there are many people on this board that believe Pacquiao lost twice to Marquez. Given that, I don't see how this fight is at least somewhat competitive. Marquez has figured Manny out to an extent. I see Marquez having a solid 35% chance of winning and a better chance at winning than Ortiz.
    I'm well aware of that. I thought he won the first fight too. But that was a long time ago at a much lower weight. That JMM (and the JMM in the second fight) was a WAY different (better) fighter than the one who got hit easily all night against the mediocre Katsidis a year ago and then agreed to move up to the same inappropriate weight at which he stunk it up against Mayweather for this fight.

Those first two JMM/Pac fights are red herrings. JMM is past it now even at 135 and he's going to get destroyed at 147. So I think this fight is the biggest mismatch of the four BY FAR (though I agree there's also no chance Mayweather loses -- but at least he's against someone in his prime for the first time in years; that's all I meant by "more interesting"). The only reason this fight can even sell is because of the past history between these two at lighter weights when JMM was still elite. And obviously people are buying that (getting duped).

We'll all see what actually happens but I'm on record now saying that JMM already got old and that fight's going to be totally noncompetitive. Just so when I say it again afterward you know it's not just hindsight. I'll be happy if I'm wrong -- the first two fights really were great. Just don't see it at this point though. At all.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm well aware of that. I thought he won the first fight too. But that was a long time ago at a much lower weight. That JMM (and the JMM in the second fight) was a WAY different (better) fighter than the one who got hit easily all night against the mediocre Katsidis a year ago and then agreed to move up to the same inappropriate weight at which he stunk it up against Mayweather for this fight.

Those first two JMM/Pac fights are red herrings. JMM is past it now even at 135 and he's going to get destroyed at 147. So I think this fight is the biggest mismatch of the four BY FAR (though I agree there's also no chance Mayweather loses -- but at least he's against someone in his prime for the first time in years; that's all I meant by "more interesting"). The only reason this fight can even sell is because of the past history between these two at lighter weights when JMM was still elite. And obviously people are buying that (getting duped).

We'll all see what actually happens but I'm on record now saying that JMM already got old and that fight's going to be totally noncompetitive. Just so when I say it again afterward you know it's not just hindsight. I'll be happy if I'm wrong -- the first two fights really were great. Just don't see it at this point though. At all.
    The last fight was at 130 in 2008. That isn't too long ago. I could be wrong about this but didn't Marquez come in the day of the fight above 140 (at 143 or something)? Hasn't he come in above 140 in his recent lightweight fights? I agree JMM is passed his prime and I agree that it appears that he hasn't been able to move up in weight as effectively as Pacquiao although I will say that judging him only on his fight against Floyd is a bit unfair, because, it was against the best fighter in the world. However, those are definitely the reasons why Pacquiao should be favored. I don't think though that JMM should be completely discounted, we're talking about a future HOF who has had Pacquiao's number in the past, not once, but twice. If he can even bring some of what he brought to those first two contests, I think he has the ability to make it competitive at the very least for a few rounds. I agree Pacquiao should win. No doubt about it, but I bet Marquez steals a few early rounds before Pacquiao gets to him.

With Ortiz, I see a boxer who is one fight removed from struggling against Lamont Peterson and another fight removed from quitting against Maidana. It's too easy to only look at Ortiz from his last fight against Berto, which was a great accomplishment. He's only had one fight as a welterweight - the rest of his career was fought at 140. Yes, he's young, but at 24 I'm not even sure he's in his prime yet. I think his youth more speaks to his inexperience winning at the top level. What great wins does he have? He only has one. I like Ortiz. I just don't think he is even close to ready for this fight if he ever would be. I really don't see Ortiz having any chance at all. I'll go on the record with that last statement. I actually think Floyd stops Ortiz in under 10 rounds after winning 9 out of 10.

In sum, comparing Ortiz and Marquez as opponents for Mayweather and Pacquiao, I believe Pacquiao will have a tougher time with Marquez than Mayweather will with Ortiz. Marquez - old, not at his best weight, but future HOF and has had Pacquiao's number in the past. Ortiz - inexperienced, first fight against a p4p boxer, struggled mightily with Berto, Peterson, and Maidana (and, now going against Mayweather?!?).

If there is a way to sig bet on that, I'd be happy to oblige. Maybe who wins more rounds - Marquez or Ortiz? How does that sound?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 08-09-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The last fight was at 130 in 2008. That isn't too long ago. I could be wrong about this but didn't Marquez come in the day of the fight above 140 (at 143 or something)? Hasn't he come in above 140 in his recent lightweight fights? I agree JMM is passed his prime and I agree that it appears that he hasn't been able to move up in weight as effectively as Pacquiao although I will say that judging him only on his fight against Floyd is a bit unfair, because, it was against the best fighter in the world. However, those are definitely the reasons why Pacquiao should be favored. I don't think though that JMM should be completely discounted, we're talking about a future HOF who has had Pacquiao's number in the past, not once, but twice. If he can even bring some of what he brought to those first two contests, I think he has the ability to make it competitive at the very least for a few rounds. I agree Pacquiao should win. No doubt about it, but I bet Marquez steals a few early rounds before Pacquiao gets to him.

With Ortiz, I see a boxer who is one fight removed from struggling against Lamont Peterson and another fight removed from quitting against Maidana. It's too easy to only look at Ortiz from his last fight against Berto, which was a great accomplishment. He's only had one fight as a welterweight - the rest of his career was fought at 140. Yes, he's young, but at 24 I'm not even sure he's in his prime yet. I think his youth more speaks to his inexperience winning at the top level. What great wins does he have? He only has one. I like Ortiz. I just don't think he is even close to ready for this fight if he ever would be. I really don't see Ortiz having any chance at all. I'll go on the record with that last statement. I actually think Floyd stops Ortiz in under 10 rounds after winning 9 out of 10.

In sum, comparing Ortiz and Marquez as opponents for Mayweather and Pacquiao, I believe Pacquiao will have a tougher time with Marquez than Mayweather will with Ortiz. Marquez - old, not at his best weight, but future HOF and has had Pacquiao's number in the past. Ortiz - inexperienced, first fight against a p4p boxer, struggled mightily with Berto, Peterson, and Maidana (and, now going against Mayweather?!?).

If there is a way to sig bet on that, I'd be happy to oblige. Maybe who wins more rounds - Marquez or Ortiz? How does that sound?
    WW!!! WE all know Mayweather is going to give up a round or two, to figure Ortiz speed and power out. We also know, Mayweather is not going to start round one looking for the KO. On the other hand, Manny have to think about his concert afterwards. He's looking for the KO, before the fight even start. So my money is on Ortiz winning more rounds.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sure -- nothing too obnoxious on the sig though. Unlikely I'm going to come up with anything too hilarious or creative to stick you with either. Let's go overall combined point spread from the three judges though (e.g., three 116-113 cards would give a spread of 9) so that 10-8 rounds get accounted for. And it seems there should be a KO bonus, which I think Manny will get and Floyd won't. Not sure how to account for that.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you guys pay to watch fights?

how cute and charming and old-fashiony.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Live View Post
    Mayweather, Sept 17th
    B-Hop, Oct 15th
    Manny, Nov 12th
    Cotto, Dec 3rd

I already know, most of us is going to see all of these PPV fights. But which most would you rather see? Take out the undercard! HELL, with the undercard too!!!

BTW, which one these future HOFers is going to lose?
    depends on the entirety of each card.

Man-tough question. I don't know if I can answer it honestly. I'm a degenerate, I'll end up buying at least 2 of the 4 cards when all is said and done (and doing the normal stream hunting for the other 2).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd Mayweather is a superstar who retires/vacation very opten so many people would like to see him fight.

IMO

There is nobody out there ( At least based of what we we have seen before ) that could trouble Mayweather, Every damn fighter within 147 would get dominated even Pac would be the undedog againts him.

Ortiz is a very limited fighter. He was a bit impressive againts Berto but if we take a good look at that fight. All he had shown was a great punch output and the courage to keep on coming, Floyd would knock him out if he fought the same way. and if he boxes a little then he still gets dominated. I would be very impressed with Ortiz if he wins a round.

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Would not pay for any but at a push, Cotto v Margarito
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yoriarkas De Leon
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information