I have often said that US, and to a lesser extent UK heavyweight boxing is on a downer because other sports are more lucrative and carry less financial risk to the participant.

Take some recent examples.

David Haye makes 'good' money with an alphabet belt, undisputed at Cruiser, probably the best recently but career now over through injury

Tyson Fury gets one good payday for undisputed world title, then goes loopy on booze and Hokey Cokey, future work courtesy of promoters.

Olympic champion Audley Harrison proves to be gun shy as a pro heavyweight and is now deciding wether to scratch around in the celebrity jungle or be a doorman.

Man mountain David Price is looking at building site work in the future.

Big fit lads can and do get good, regular money for Rugby Union, let alone Rugby League or American football, why on earth should they put up with not being paid when injured, or dealing with shites like Warren and Hearn, and not knowing who controls the next payday?

I'm not saying I know what the answer is, but this is certainly the fucking problem! Boxers are 'shot' and discarded by promoters when they get beat, promoters are no such thing, they only put on rigged blue corner shows. The only boxers that will survive for the next few years are those with Hatton-like local followings, they are becoming fewer.