Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
Mr 140 is not alone in his disdain for the lower classes. Many boxing fans feel the same way (I don't). For some reason, the adage "bigger is better" seems to extend to boxing. But for me, I've seen way too many heavyweights who substitute raw power for skill and/or training, in the hopes one big shot can end their fights. I've seen way too many blubbery, lumbering heavyweights plod their way around. People like them, much in the same way Japanese love their sumos. Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that stuff, I guess. For my money, give me an evenly matched pair of bantamweights, lightweights, or whatever. Plenty of stars have come out of those divisions. It's also cultural and national, I think. Most little guys are either Asian or Hispanic. So naturally U.S. fans don't care as much. There's the rare exception, such as Chocolatito, but again it's rare. Meanwhile, we've got uncoordinated, lazy oafs like Tyson Fury getting all the attention.
I grew up watching it in the best era out side of the 1970's for the division. Holyfeild by far is my favorite fighter of all time and true warrior to this sport of boxing. Been watching this sport my whole life which has been pretty much me watching 135-175 and the heavyweight division. I watch other division out side the range but not many of them catch my interest outside that realm there have been a few fighters here and there and that is about it.