Eddie Hearn rules out US venue for Andy Ruiz Jr vs Anthony Joshua rematch, Ruiz Jr rules out UK

An announcement regarding where the Andy Ruiz Jr vs Anthony Joshua rematch will take place is expected imminently.

However, it still seems as if there’s plenty of dispute over the location of the crucial clash.

Following Ruiz’s stunning upset win over Joshua at MSG in June, the Brit activated his rematch clause and has the right to decide the venue.

This hasn’t stopped the new champion from dragging his heels though, as promoter Eddie Hearn has now admitted.

Hearn told Sky: “They don’t want to come to the UK, they never have done.

“I think they used the Dillian Whyte saga as a little bit of a scapegoat in that decision as well, and we have to take that into consideration.

“Contractually we know our position, but we want to make sure we get the fight done. We want to respect Andy Ruiz, but we’ll decide where the venue is.

“A neutral venue, he would be a lot happier with. I think I can rule out America, right now. Cardiff is still the frontrunner, it’s still the favourite.

“There are some other interesting options that would be quite iconic internationally.

“I keep saying this, but in the next 48 hours Andy Ruiz’s team will be alerted to where this fight will take place.”

Hearn initially stated that November 29 back at MSG in New York or December 14 at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff were the two options for Ruiz vs Joshua II.

Now, it seems a neutral venue may come into play, with AJ’s side ruling out America and Ruiz adamant he won’t be coming to the UK.

When asked if he was worried about travelling to Joshua’s home country in the midst of the Whyte situation, Ruiz replied to Joe Rogan: “Somewhat, but it’s not gonna be over there.

“Nope, it’s not.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/5...oshua-rematch/