To the surprise of precisely no-one, the first time in two years Josh Taylor and Jack Catterall came face-to-face ended with the pair being pulled apart mere seconds later.

For those 24 months, both fighters have carried a burning sense of injustice.

Catterall, along with most observers, feels he was robbed of a once-in-a-lifetime chance to become undisputed light-welterweight champion after a controversial split-decision defeat by Taylor in Glasgow in February 2022.

Despite being the beneficiary of that decision, Taylor too has reason to feel resentment for what has unfolded since that night at the Hydro.

In many respects it would have been better had the Scot not been given the nod by the judges, such is the level of fierce criticism he has faced since.

This time around there are no world titles up for grabs, but the second instalment of this bitter rivalry arguably carries even more significance.

"Careers are on the line in this fight," promoter Eddie Hearn tells BBC Scotland.

"You lose this fight, you're done. Taylor loses this fight, he'll never fight again. Catterall loses this fight, what's he going to do? His world title dreams are finished.

"That's what's on the line in this fight - not losing a belt, losing your career.

"This is a massive all-British fight, Scotland versus England, the controversy of the first fight, the hatred. This is called 'Hate Runs Deep'. I know hate is a strong word, but as you saw from the head-to-head, this is real."

Taylor was at pains to play down any element of hatred, even with the fiery exchanges on stage between the fighters.

The Scot, who has fought just once since the first bout, says he has "a little bit of dislike" for Catterall, but he does not hate anyone.

"Hate's a strong word," he adds. "But I won't be going for a pint with him after this fight, that's for sure.

"I'm not emotionally attached at all, I'm nice and relaxed and chilled out, it's him who's riled up. He tried to put his hands on my throat again. I went to throw a left hook but I think Eddie copped it on his arm.

"This is a big fight, there's a lot hanging in the balance. I've had two bad performances so I need to come back and prove that I'm still one of the best fighters on the planet.

"I need to put on a good performance and essentially I need to get the win. If he comes to fight like he says he is, absolutely fantastic."

Catterall is by his nature an understated character. With Monday's media event open to the public and attended by several hundred Scottish fight fans, he looked at times uncomfortable in the glare of a hostile crowd in Edinburgh.

He allowed his manager Sam Jones, who in complete contrast placed himself front and centre, to do most of his talking for him.

Looks can be deceptive, however. One only needs to recall the Chorley fighter cutting a similarly subdued figure in the build-up to the first fight, only to transform when he stepped through the ropes to deliver a performance very few had seen coming.

Now Catterall believes he is ready to avenge the only loss of his professional career.

"It's fine for people to say 'forget about it' and to an extent I have," the Englishman tells BBC Scotland.

"It's part of my boxing career, it's part of my life and I'm quite content in my life. I've had two fights since then, I've moved on and I'm in a good place. But it must be the same for Josh, day in and day out - when's the rematch happening?

"He'll be getting the same so I think for both of us it's time we can say we're having the rematch and it's getting put to bed.

"I'm not going in there for a Taylor that, in my opinion, is on the slide. I'm going in there preparing for the best version of him. But do I think his best days are done? I do."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/68341688