I have more respect for him and think he is even greater. I forgot how much muscle he gained for the Ruiz fight. He weighed 193 for Ruiz and 8 months later fought Antonio Tarver at 175..and beat him. Yes it was controversial, but he did win. Then he goes on to lose three staight, two by KO. I think Roy lost focus at this point in his career, and after winning the Heavyweight title and all his Light Heavyweight title defences he wasnt motivated and didnt feel he had anymore to prove. After three losses at his age most would call it a career. After a little break he continues. He wins two straight, looking older and with a lack of killer intinct, but a little more motivated. Then he fights Felix Trinidad weighing 169.5 for the fight, his lowest in 12 years at 39 years of age. Similar circumstance to the strain De La Hoya recently put on his body, but the outcome was much different. Trinidad being past his prime and above his ideal weight didnt help, still not a bad win for the old man. This sets Roy up for his match with Calzaghe. Thinking about it now after all Roy has been through the last five years, his ups and downs, and his 3-3 record in his last 6 fights, going in with a 45-0 fighter seems like too big a task. He was beaten, but he went the distance with another all time great fighter and at his age he has nothing to be ashamed of and did well.
Going back to the Ruiz fight, if it never happened maybe Roy would have avoided three of his loses, but he chose to accomplished something that not many have done beating a prime heavyweight champion. He could have retired an outstanding 49-1, beating every man he ever fought, but he took a risk and continued like great champions do. I give him credit for that.