Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Would it hurt MMA to tweak some rules??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Would it hurt MMA to tweak some rules??

Hey, I get it. MMA's exciting stuff. You gotta be a tremendous athlete, first of all. Everything goes..... punches, kicks, wrestling moves, etc. The fights are fierce, action-packed. It doesn't lack for fans. But.....

Does it need to allow punching a man when he's down and obviously out?
    Legal punches to the groin? Seriously?
    Stomping on a guy?

Granted.... some boxing matches can be pretty damn boring (Wlad-Povetkin anyone?).
    Kinda wish Povetkin would've gone all kinds of MMA on Wlad's ass.

But honestly.... I just can't take a sport seriously that allows a man to swing away at the head and face of a prone, unconscious human being.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Would it hurt MMA to tweak some rules??

I used to Love K-1, doesnt seem to be around much anymore, kick boxing, with knees, elbow and you could clinch but only behind the head for a few seconds.
    3*3 minute rounds, made it exciting stuff and in the finals it was 5 rounds, seen some bouts where a even after three rounds meant they fought for another round, until maximum of five, there where no draws allowed, unless injuries.
    And you could fight, three opponents in a night, quarter, semi final then final.

I do not like seeing pounding on the floor or wrestling on the floor.
    Grappling does not make for a exciting fight.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boyla View Post
    I used to Love K-1, doesnt seem to be around much anymore, kick boxing, with knees, elbow and you could clinch but only behind the head for a few seconds.
    3*3 minute rounds, made it exciting stuff and in the finals it was 5 rounds, seen some bouts where a even after three rounds meant they fought for another round, until maximum of five, there where no draws allowed, unless injuries.
    And you could fight, three opponents in a night, quarter, semi final then final.

I do not like seeing pounding on the floor or wrestling on the floor.
    Grappling does not make for a exciting fight.
    Glory is trying to make an imprint and spike just showed their card on Saturday before last, kickboxing is entertaining as hell. Tito, stomps to the head of a grounded opponent are not legal in most western based mma orgs, nor are knees. I used to be a bit opposed to the whole "ground and pounding" a guy but honestly I think a boxer in a tough fight takes more of a beating than a dude in a tough mma match on average. in boxing you go down and out sometimes and get up within ten seconds latter to take more punishment, in mma if you go out your usually done most of the time. I guess what I'm trying to say is just because it seems more brutal/savage doesn't necessarily mean it is.

Also just saw you mention punches to the groin, they haven't been allowed since like ufc 6 or somethin, and as far as I know pride, bellator, strikeforce never allowed the. I'm sure there still some fringe orgs that allow it, but those are not sanctioned or even legal I'm sure.
    Last edited by armin; 10-22-2013 at 05:32 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stomping on a guy?
    The UFC doesn't allow either of these.

I just can't take a sport seriously that allows a man to swing away at the
    head and face of a prone, unconscious human being.
    Ref's are usually pretty good about stopping a fight before someone take a lot of damage after they can no longer intelligently defend themselves. Sometimes they do it too early and the fans are in an uproar and sometimes they wait a second or two too long and people complain about fighter safety.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VictorCharlie View Post
    Stomping on a guy?
    The UFC doesn't allow either of these.

I just can't take a sport seriously that allows a man to swing away at the
    head and face of a prone, unconscious human being.
    Ref's are usually pretty good about stopping a fight before someone take a lot of damage after they can no longer intelligently defend themselves. Sometimes they do it too early and the fans are in an uproar and sometimes they wait a second or two too long and people complain about fighter safety.
    True and I think that MMA Ref is a pretty tough job for that; many people don't seem to see how it is difficult to judge the "2-3 seconds too late/early", especially because there are so many things to take in consideration and because things can happen in the 2-3 seconds while the ref might not be in the best angle to see.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched the prelim show over the weekend, they need to get in the basics first and fix the damn gloves. Some dude was dropped and half blinded by floating fingers like 2 or 3 times.

Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well... if shots to the groin and stomping on an opponent are things that have been outlawed then I guess that's an improvement. My biggest beef is having someone swing away at a clearly prone and half-conscious opponent. And yeah, VC, people will bitch if the ref stops it too soon, and others if the ref takes too long. But you know what? Of all the rules... this one should be enforced. I mean... what danger does the other guy pose when he's already been beaten senseless and can't even cover himself? This just crosses the line between sport and mindless mayhem, IMO. It stops being sport at that point.

Thread Information