Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Khan The Chosen One ?

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    Dominating Collazo and Devon, Khan is suddenly the one to beat Floyd ?

I like Khan but he is the poor man version of Pacquiao and that is a compliment.

I really think Maidana roughs him up in a rematch, and a handful of others that can beat him.

Am I missing something cause I'm just not sold on him beating Floyd?
    I think we're past the point where we are expecting someone to beat Floyd. I think we just want to watch something half way interesting. Style wise, it's a good fight because Mayweather will probably have to do more than pot-shot. Same as with the Pacquiao fight. I think Pacquiao is everyone's first choice, and that's probably because of the gelling of the two styles. Like you say, Khan is almost like a poor man's Pacquiao (of sorts), and i think people are just looking at that fight purely because nobody really believes Mayweather - Pacquiao will ever happen.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post

I like Khan but he is the poor man version of Pacquiao and that is a compliment.

I really think Maidana roughs him up in a rematch, and a handful of others that can beat him.

I think we're past the point where we are expecting someone to beat Floyd. I think we just want to watch something half way interesting. Style wise, it's a good fight because Mayweather will probably have to do more than pot-shot. Same as with the Pacquiao fight. I think Pacquiao is everyone's first choice, and that's probably because of the gelling of the two styles. Like you say, Khan is almost like a poor man's Pacquiao (of sorts), and i think people are just looking at that fight purely because nobody really believes Mayweather - Pacquiao will ever happen.
    Mmm. Poor man pacquiao is a bit strong as I see khan being a stylistic nightmare for pacman as well.

We must remember pac has to be a different fighter after the devastating excruciating loss to marquez.

This is not the pac of old under ariza beating a catchweight cotto (still a good win).

Khan looked the part at 147 and fighting a faster fighter makes you very reluctant/hesitant as was evident with devon and most of roy jones opponents.

Khan is coming of age and will make 2015 very interesting..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan still hasn't proven he can take on a GOOD brawler and be expected to win - Maidana yes but Garcia speaks for itself in terms of counter shots on the inside

I would however expect him to beat Peterson comfortably now if that same fight took place today but he hasn't proven he could go in with a Matthysse or even Garcia again and win in my book.

Luckily Floyd is a different style completely which compliements Khan - I would be so intrigued to see Mayweatheers tactics in a Khan fight - he;s shown he is willing to brawl and be the aggressor a bit more recently and it wouldnt shock me if he tried to tak Khan out early - and maybe he would

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

Mmm. Poor man pacquiao is a bit strong as I see khan being a stylistic nightmare for pacman as well.

We must remember pac has to be a different fighter after the devastating excruciating loss to marquez.

This is not the pac of old under ariza beating a catchweight cotto (still a good win).

Khan looked the part at 147 and fighting a faster fighter makes you very reluctant/hesitant as was evident with devon and most of roy jones opponents.

I am a bit blown away how much people are over hyping Khan. This misconception that Khan fares well against "boxers" is pure bs. He has not faced one great counter puncher. For all the supposed improvements under Hunter...he still exhibits some of the same weaknesses that have plagued him: watch the fight with Alexander again and you will notice the poor placement of his non-punching hand, his exposed chin, and his tendency to get off balance. The more Khan punches, the more he pulls apart his own defense and leaves himself open to counters. This is a serious flaw in Khan's style that has been around for years. The surest way to beat a fighter with superior speed is to time them with their own shots. Yet some of you think he will beat one of the greatest and most accurate counter punchers in history in Mayweather?! And lets not forget Khan's has no in-fighting ability...his only answer is clinching and with hopes of the ref breaking it up. You just always get the sense with Amir that he is a work in progress. Floyd on the other hand, even at this stage of his career, knows all the tricks....everything comes second nature to him in the ring. Khan ain't beating Floyd...and don't let paulie malignaggi's dick riding of Khan make you think otherwise.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Nah mate, you're not missing anything. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought somebody else was gonna blow sunshine up Khan's ass because he beat a guy who isn't even top 10 and very gun shy. Just how Khan likes them.
    As they said in the life of Brian, " he's not the Messiah, he's just a naughty boy!"

Wasn't it " he's not the messiah he a very naughty boy " ?
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Nah mate, you're not missing anything. When I saw the title of the thread, I thought somebody else was gonna blow sunshine up Khan's
    ass because he beat a guy who isn't
    even top 10 and very gun shy. Just how Khan likes them.
    As they said in the life of Brian, " he's not the Messiah, he's just a naughty boy!"

Wasn't it " he's not the messiah he a very naughty boy " ?
    Probably, yes.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

I am a bit blown away how much people are over hyping Khan. This misconception that Khan fares well against "boxers" is pure bs. He has not faced one great counter puncher. For all the supposed improvements under Hunter...he still exhibits some of the same weaknesses that have plagued him: watch the fight with Alexander again and you will notice the poor placement of his non-punching hand, his exposed chin, and his tendency to get off balance. The more Khan punches, the more he pulls apart his own defense and leaves himself open to counters. This is a serious flaw in Khan's style that has been around for years. The surest way to beat a fighter with superior speed is to time them with their own shots. Yet some of you think he will beat one of the greatest and most accurate counter punchers in history in Mayweather?! And lets not forget Khan's has no in-fighting ability...his only answer is clinching and with hopes of the ref breaking it up. You just always get the sense with Amir that he is a work in progress. Floyd on the other hand, even at this stage of his career, knows all the tricks....everything comes second nature to him in the ring. Khan ain't beating Floyd...and don't let paulie malignaggi's dick riding of Khan make you think otherwise.
    That's the difference. Khan is always working on this or that because for all his gifts fighting isn't natural to him. If it isn't going exactly how it's planned he doesn't know what to do. Because he's a talent, not a fighter. I actually like the guy because he will get back up and give his all. But it never stops amazing me how many times people will overhype a talent. "This time...." "Now that...." It was the same with Tyson and Judah. It works though in that it is a chance for those that accept what they've seen to make bank.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see Khan as potentially giving Floyd more problems than Manny. Khan is bigger and longer than Manny, and very good at working behind the jab and keeping the fight at the distance he likes. Prime Floyd would use superior speed and reflexes to take over late for the win, but I'm not sure that this version of Floyd can do that.

This fight reminds me of the Paul Williams vs Winky Wright fight, where Williams used his length to keep the fight at a distance and just outwork the defensively superior Wright. Floyd won't like Khans jab, similar to his trouble with Oscars jab. Floyd is a competitor and mentally tough, so I'm in no way saying Floyd will definitely lose. Just saying that stylistically, at this point, I give Khan a better shot of scoring the upset by boximg from the outside than Mannys aggression and all offense style. Either guy vs Floyd interests me though, and I will gladly pay the money for the PPV. If Floyd fights Danny Garcia, Kell Brook, Keith Thurman...etc., however, I will skip the fight and read the result the following day.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The answer is no, Julius. He just ducked Khan, just like I said in the other thread.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know exactly how you feel and I wouldn't bet anything on that fight either way, but Khan has seemed much more focused in his last two fights. He brings the fight and never lets up on the pressure now, it seems to me that being married and the responsibilities that brings has narrowed his focus in the ring.
    Of course a lot us might be thinking his current trainer is a perfect fit for Khan. Who knows what the motivator is, Khan just seems much more intense in the ring.
    A man eating tiger, nowadays!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I see Khan as potentially giving Floyd more problems than Manny. Khan is bigger and longer than Manny, and very good at working behind the jab and keeping the fight at the distance he likes. Prime Floyd would use superior speed and reflexes to take over late for the win, but I'm not sure that this version of Floyd can do that.

This fight reminds me of the Paul Williams vs Winky Wright fight, where Williams used his length to keep the fight at a distance and just outwork the defensively superior Wright. Floyd won't like Khans jab, similar to his trouble with Oscars jab. Floyd is a competitor and mentally tough, so I'm in no way saying Floyd will definitely lose. Just saying that stylistically, at this point, I give Khan a better shot of scoring the upset by boximg from the outside than Mannys aggression and all offense style. Either guy vs Floyd interests me though, and I will gladly pay the money for the PPV. If Floyd fights Danny Garcia, Kell Brook, Keith Thurman...etc., however, I will skip the fight and read the result the following day.
    Floyd having "problems" with Oscar's jab is one of the biggest myths in boxing history. If you have the time to watch this vid...i highly recommend it:
    It's so important to slow down the fights, watch them closely, and not be influenced by overzealous commentators.

People seem to focus on "problems" Khan would give Floyd...but ignore the MAJOR problems Floyd would give Khan. I already mentioned the glaring weaknesses Khan STILL exhibits....weaknesses that are tailor made for Mayweather to exploit.
    Last edited by zhubin; 12-17-2014 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have the fight on DVD n to me it looks like Oscars jab gave Floyd issues for the first half of the fight. Oscar didn't bust Floyd up with it or land it at will, but he used it to push Floyd to the ropes and keep Floyd at a distance that made him less effective. I remember Cotto having his best success against Floyd with his jab. I see the following three weapons/tactics troubling Floyd from past fights:
    1) Jab: I thought Oscar and Cotto both had success and caught Floyd with their jabs. Floyd likes to slip and counter and a good jab will keep him at a distance that doesn't allow him to counter as easily as guys pounding away in the inside.
    2) Unorthodox speed: Zab gave Floyd some very uncomfortable moments over the first four rounds. Floyd is a much better fighter and made the adjustments, but I don't recall another fight where I saw Floyd as hesitant and gun shy. This fight and the Castillo/Maidana fights make me feel Manny actually has a chance to win (Floyd should be heavily favored though).
    3) Effective mauling/brawling: Castillo and Maidana were very successful using these tactics and lost close decisions. Hatton and Jesus Chavez both had success early as well before running out of gas and being picked apart by Floyd (two great performances by an ATG master).
    Khans best chance for success is to use the jab and mix in the movement to eke the decision out. Floyd will come on strong down the stretch, so Khan needs to force the fast pace and make up his mind that he will do whatever it takes to see that final bell. I don't see Floyd having the power to stop the chinny Khan, but I NEVER thought Whitaker would do what he did to Hurtado, so who knows?
    Again, Floyd should be heavily favored to win but Khan and Manny are the only two guys I see having a realistic chance at beating him 154 and down.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post

Floyd having "problems" with Oscar's jab is one of the biggest myths in boxing history. If you have the time to watch this vid...i highly recommend it:
    It's so important to slow down the fights, watch them closely, and not be influenced by overzealous commentators.

People seem to focus on "problems" Khan would give Floyd...but ignore the MAJOR problems Floyd would give Khan. I already mentioned the glaring weaknesses Khan STILL exhibits....weaknesses that are tailor made for Mayweather to exploit.
    Very good point but all I can say is what will suit Floyd more, Khans flaws that leave him susceptible to counters or a come forward plodder brawler like Ortiz, Guerrero or Maidana?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I want to say that Khan performance against Alexander reminded me of Mario Kindelan fighting style, which includes his amateur fights against Khan in particular. Same 4-6 straight punching comboes, pivots , etc. KHan should have done it like this in the Olympics
    Last edited by SugarBoxing; 12-18-2014 at 06:34 AM.
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Thread Information