Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Your top 5?

Over the years I had a chance to see these fighters and as far as most of today's fighters are concerned that is a to be continued matter.

Muhammad Ali-His dance partners would develop two left feet during the match.
    Roberto Duran-Underrated yet excellent boxing skills hidden by ferociousness and killer instinct of his lightweight years. Even at the end of his prime he won championships in higher weight classes and still gave boxing lessons to the over confident. Hands of stone.
    Henry Armstrong-He made opponents wonder just how many opponents were in the ring with them.
    Matthew Saad Muhammad-High sales for tranquilizers during all his come from behind victories.
    Sugar Ray Robinson-A little bit of sugar drove the medicine down his opponent's throat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Muhammad Ali
    Sugar Ray Leonard (Welterweight)
    Salvador Sanchez
    Carlos Monzon
    Roberto Duran (Lightweight)

This will vary from time to time

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Tyson came along when the fab four were still fighting.

Remember Tyson's fights being on ITV on Sat/Sun mornings/afternoon. I was sitting in a snooker club, eating a steak and kidney pie, when I saw Tyson iron out Larry Holmes.
    That is exactly how I would imagine you watching it Not that I know you or anything but I bet you had your first ( non stolen home brew or old mans can) beer, either at the snooker club or the community centre. I used to nick my stepdads home brew but it was pretty rank. Had my first drink from the parents drinks cabinet when they were out, got hammered on Bells. I remember it so well because my step son did the same thing about 12 years ago and rang me and the Mrs when we were at the football and said " Um.. I drunk this bacaradi thing and now I am going to sleep..sorry" Had to laugh

World of Sport if I remember rightly. @Dia bando will remember he is ancient
    I remember watching Foreman v Frazier on Saturday lunchtime on Grandstand after Football Focus. That was probably a whole week after the fight, I'll never forget the knockdown that took Frazier off both his feet!
    I may be mistaken , but I think Ali v Foreman was live on BBC in the middle of the night and Ali v Spinks 1. And Sportsnight on a Wednesday always used to have live boxing....Bodell v McAlinden, Dave "Boy" Green and loads of Bruno fights! ITV used to have live boxing midweek as well.
    You are slightly older than me but I remember BBC boxing with Barry McGuigan, Herol Graham and Frank Bruno. It think ITV had Pat Cowdell.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeanz View Post
    Tyson came along when the fab four were still fighting.

Remember Tyson's fights being on ITV on Sat/Sun mornings/afternoon. I was sitting in a snooker club, eating a steak and kidney pie, when I saw Tyson iron out Larry Holmes.
    That is exactly how I would imagine you watching it Not that I know you or anything but I bet you had your first ( non stolen home brew or old mans can) beer, either at the snooker club or the community centre. I used to nick my stepdads home brew but it was pretty rank. Had my first drink from the parents drinks cabinet when they were out, got hammered on Bells. I remember it so well because my step son did the same thing about 12 years ago and rang me and the Mrs when we were at the football and said " Um.. I drunk this bacaradi thing and now I am going to sleep..sorry" Had to laugh

World of Sport if I remember rightly. @Dia bando will remember he is ancient
    I remember watching Foreman v Frazier on Saturday lunchtime on Grandstand after Football Focus. That was probably a whole week after the fight, I'll never forget the knockdown that took Frazier off both his feet!
    I may be mistaken , but I think Ali v Foreman was live on BBC in the middle of the night and Ali v Spinks 1. And Sportsnight on a Wednesday always used to have live boxing....Bodell v McAlinden, Dave "Boy" Green and loads of Bruno fights! ITV used to have live boxing midweek as well.
    You are slightly older than me but I remember BBC boxing with Barry McGuigan, Herol Graham and Frank Bruno. It think ITV had Pat Cowdell.
    Yeah, but I also remember seeing Herol Graham live on ITV on a Wednesday night in a British title fight . Obviously later, ITV had Benn and Eubank with millions watching.

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only time I remember Herol Graham bring on ITV was when he was knocked out by Jackson

Joe Calzaghe was on BBC first I think.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember Graham fighting on a Wednesday night in a British title fight live after News at Ten . I think he fought John Melfah, and Reggie Bosanquet read the news!

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember Graham fighting on a Wednesday night in a British title fight live after News at Ten . I think he fought John Melfah, and Reggie Bosanquet read the news!
    You could be right, he beat Cook on BBC i am sure.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a bit younger than you fossils but I can clearly remember Graham regularly fighting on the BBC. Along with Honeyghan, Laing et al.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a bit younger than you fossils but I can clearly remember Graham regularly fighting on the BBC. Along with Honeyghan, Laing et al.
    Fossils? I resemble that remark! 😉
    However, I would say that Kirkland Laing was on TV before Herrol Graham, so maybe you're older than me ? 😃

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

However, I would say that Kirkland Laing was on TV before Herrol Graham, so maybe you're older than me ? 😃
    Lang had his battles with Colin Jones 1981 on BBC and then came back on BBC 1990 against Buck Smith.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Lang had his battles with Colin Jones 1981 on BBC and then came back on BBC 1990 against Buck Smith.
    Precisely! So if you remember the Jones fight in '81 that was a good 7years before the Graham fights I'm on about.
    Anyway, it's a moot point because although I don't specifically remember what channel it was on, I can remember Laing v Jones. 😄

Thread Information