Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: M.I.A - Keith Thurman

Quote Originally Posted by GaMo View Post
    He fought this year? He only fought once last year too but seeing as he beat Porter and Garcia in those two fights I’ll let him off. I don’t mind fighters who skip the padding and fight one real fight per year.
    That shows what the rest of the Boxers are like. He did fight 2 big fights and you've made a very fair point.
    But there is no reason why these guys shouldn't be fighting at least twice maybe 3 times a year at the top end.
    Less fights means less big fights get made. If they fought more, they would have to fight each other.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It has been annoying how inactive he is. Once a year is completely unacceptable for any fighter other than one that is at the tail end of their career. If you are the supposed top fighter in the weight class, you should be fighting at least 3 times a year.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I completely disagree with @powerpuncher it’s better to fight the best once a year than fight crap three times per year. I’d rather see AJ fight once next year if that fights against Wilder than see him beat three bums at home (its pointless) Spence is only going to fight once this year as is Brook, Horn, Pacquiao and Garcia so what the fuck is everyone crying about!? He’s fought as much as anyone else in the top five this year.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thurman was not injured. Anyone saying that is either misinformed or intentionally spreading misinformation. There was no injury.

He had bone spurs removed. Bone spurs he’s had for years. He chose, yes getting bone spurs removed is completely elective, the week before the Brook/Spence fight. You don’t need to be a genius to figure that one out.

8 months for bone spurs is preposterous.

He has one more fight the fans will allow him before they demand the fight Spence has been calling for for years.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like a fighting champ. Sure not all will be big mega fights but as long as a guy has an annual showdown, or more, no harm in a non title defense or a lower contender face off. With few exceptions every fight cannot be a massive bout and I wonder exactly how many "top stars" are even up to that consistency today. Injuries happen, fans get big ticket and ppv weary as do the networks and filler is necessary to build those very same mega fights and expose fighters. Shoot the most I've seen Thurman hurt recently was against those lower level guys in Soto Karass and Collazo with respects to a Garcia or Porter. As long as it's not a habit or pattern the sport needs cycles and hey we hope for upsets so bring in the journeyman on a hot streak for me. Part of me thinks this delay is as much about promotion as it is Thurman. They just cannot have it.

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MIA - Spence
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    MIA - Spence

Exactly! Only two fighters in the top ten will have fought more than once this year so I don’t know what everyone is so upset about

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    MIA - Spence
    But Spence is trying to get fights. That’s the difference. Most won’t even negotiate with him. But he’s found someone that will at least negotiate in Peterson.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I completely disagree with @powerpuncher it’s better to fight the best once a year than fight crap three times per year. I’d rather see AJ fight once next year if that fights against Wilder than see him beat three bums at home (its pointless) Spence is only going to fight once this year as is Brook, Horn, Pacquiao and Garcia so what the fuck is everyone crying about!? He’s fought as much as anyone else in the top five this year.
    Brook has his eye socket broken, Pacquiao is basically done, Garcia has no excuse, Horn is fighting again (he isn’t a top fighter though), Spence is trying to get fights.

If it were just this year I would be alright but last year he didn’t fight really either. I would rather somebody fight 3 pretty good fighters in a year rather than one good fighter per year. In reality, you should be taking at least one good fight a year and your other ones can be lesser opponents.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If we’re going to lump Spence in with Thurman let’s look at the division as it relates to Spence(rankings by The Ring)

1)Thurman-Spence has called for it for years. When Thurman is willing it will happen

2)Spence-can’t fight himself

3)Porter-Porter won’t fight him

4)Garcia-Garcia won’t fight him

5)Brook-he just beat Brook and Brook shows no interest in doing it again

6)Peterson-Spence is negotiating with him currently

So Spence is trying to fight the highest rated guy that will fight him.

Thurman is what, in Nepal? Who is he trying to fight?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Ron Swanson who has Spence actually beaten? You talk as if he’s cleaning out the division. His last opponent had been knocked out in his fight previous, Algeri had lost two of his last three and Bundu was a Thurman leftover.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Ron Swanson who has Spence actually beaten? You talk as if he’s cleaning out the division. His last opponent had been knocked out in his fight previous, Algeri had lost two of his last three and Bundu was a Thurman leftover.
    He beat the people willing to fight him. You what, you support Thurman who has said no for years and conveniently timed his surgery for 1 week before picking up the belt that Thurman said he would fight him if he got?

I have said absolutely nothing about Spence cleaning out the division. You avoided what I said because you can’t debate what I said.

How about you go back to the post you are talking about and debate something, I’ll just hang up and listen.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I miss the James Toney mindset where he would fight multiple times a year. I think a fighter, for the most part, stays sharpest fighting multiple times a year. The caveat to that is to throw in soft touches and only fight 1-2 big fights each year. JCC was very effective with this model, as was Duran. Not every fight has to be a top challenger, but I think it is good for a guy to get in often and display his talents. A guy like Floyd, who was fighting well above his weight, is where I would give an exception.

As for Thurman, he beat Porter and Garcia, so hard to knock him for quality of opposition. That being said, I think Spence is the class of that division, as long as someone like Porter doesn’t catch him on an off night. Porter is that guy, like Holyfield, who will give anyone a close fight, and score an upset if the opponent is absolutely razor sharp.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just had to bump this up for a minute because it's very funny how this same topic has come up before and apparently Keith Thurman is one of these people who nobody ever really felt had any great longevity or consistency just sort of like a David Hay for example where he's constantly getting injured and nobody knows where he is or if he's even active anymore

Thread Information