0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Setting Shelly Finkel's Record Straight

Setting Shelly Finkel's Record Straight
    by Gabriel Montoya (Nov 8, 2006)From Doghouseboxing.com
    Earlier this week in an article ‘Finkel’s Art of The Deal’ by Lisa Scott of Fightnews.com, Shelly Finkel spoke of Don King’s reluctance to set a fight up between King promoted fighter Nicolay Valuev and Finkel represented heavyweight titlist Wladimir Klitschko. Said Finkel “You know, we were at a press conference in L.A., because I had Robert Guerrero on the undercard of Toney-Peter. King yells: ‘Klitschko is AFRAID to fight Valuev!' I'm standing right behind him and I say quietly: ‘Don, there is a lot of press right here, why don't we just make a deal and announce it right now.' But he said: ‘Uhhh... well... ummm... no.' So at this point, his fighters (Nicolai Valuev and Sergei Liakhovich) can't beat Wladimir and I think he knows it.”

As the writer that started that exchange between Mr. Finkel and Mr. King I can state simply and categorically that is not how it happened and that is not what was said.

The exchange began when I asked Mr. Finkel in front of the assembled press at the post fight presser for the James
    Toney/ Sam Peter fight “Why is Wladimir Klitschko ducking Sergei Liakhovich?”

Mr Finkel responded that “this was not the forum for this discussion“ and that there were things happening behind the scenes that we [the press] we not aware of and “should be done in private and not at this time.” He left the dais abruptly.

When I asked Don King the same question, he responded in typical Don King fashion. “He has got a weak heart and a soft chin.“ He continued, ”He has been knocked out once by a golfer (Corrie Sanders) and once by a fighter (Lamon Brewster).“

At this time, Mr. Finkel returned to the dais behind Mr. King and said “Don, let’s sign it. Valuev is here. You want to do it, we can do it.”

To which Don King responded, “We can do it. Let’s go right into a tournament. We have three titlists between us. We can do it.”

At this time, Dino Duva stepped in and welcomed Sam Peter into the room ending the exchange.

Now my account of this is not from memory alone but from written notes as well as a digital recording I took at the press conference. I have no stake in this matter but to make sure the truth is told. As I had reported this exchange previously (though not as in depth) I felt it necessary to make sure that an accurate account made it into the public record.

From Finkel’s account, it is Don King that is standing in the way of unifying the heavyweight crown but from what was said in that exchange (as well several TV interviews), it seems as if Mr. King is all for a tournament.

Unification is a word uttered out of most heavyweight titlist’s mouths more often than not because a media member presses the issue. Titlists and their management teams understand unification is what the public wants and saying that you are for it increases the perception that you alone are the true champion on a quest to prove just that.

The fact of the matter is that every heavyweight titlist and his management team has their own best interest at heart and will do what it takes to promote the idea that they are willing to fight the best and take challenges while not doing so. It is a situation similar to Oscar De La Hoya dangling a match with Floyd Mayweather Jr. before the public for months to give us the perception he is still a top pound-for-pound fighter in the year 2006.

What boxing needs is less of the behind the scenes chicanery and more between the ropes action. The heavyweight picture gets cloudier every time it seems as if it’s about to sort itself out. It’s time we “go right into a tournament.”

Comments/disputes/questions?
    e-mail Gabriel at: Coyotefeather@gmail.com

SigmaMu Guest

Default Re: Setting Shelly Finkel's Record Straight

This is another reason for me not to care about the HWD.
    Nice read and thanks for sharing.

CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah promoters and sanctioning bodies are all a bunch of candy asses ! We need a structured format and a national commission and get rid of the promoters and sanctioning bodies .. the main corruption in the sport of boxing is the promoters doing. you take them out of the equation, and most of the problems are solved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G
    This is another reason for me not to care about the HWD.
    Nice read and thanks for sharing.

CC
    My pleasure.

I'm not giving up on the HWD yet though I have never quite been a fan. Sergei losing kind of took the wind out of my sails. I thought he was a top guy but I guess I rolled snake eyes on that one.

Thread Information