Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is JMM-Juan Diaz officially set?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is JMM-Juan Diaz officially set?

Juan Diaz is one tough cookie.

JMM by decision.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I looks like it's official. Here's the press release.

22 December 2008
    Press Release
    JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ VS. JUAN DIAZ SET FOR FEBRUARY 28TH EDITION OF HBO’S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING

LOS ANGELES, December 22 - In 2008, Mexican icon Juan Manuel Marquez solidified his place among boxing’s elite and became Mexico’s number one fighter by knocking out Joel Casamayor and winning a championship in a third weight class. As 2009 opens, Marquez will not be resting on his laurels, as he accepted the challenge to face former three-time lightweight champion Juan “The Baby Bull” Diaz on Saturday, February 28th in what promises to be an early Fight of The Year candidate.

“This fight between Marquez and Diaz will shake the lightweight division to its core and truly determine the best 135-pounder in the world,” said Oscar de la Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions. “As a fan, I can’t wait to see this fight.”

Marquez vs. Diaz, a 12 round bout for the Ring Magazine World Lightweight Championship, is presented by Golden Boy Promotions and will be televised live on HBO’s World Championship Boxing beginning at 10 pm ET / 7 pm PT.

Mexico’s premier fighter and a future Hall of Famer, Juan Manuel “Dinamita” Marquez (49-4-1, 36 KO’s) has signified excellence for over 15 years and in three weight classes. A world champion at featherweight and junior lightweight, the 35-year-old Mexico City native made an immediate impact at 135 pounds when he won the Ring Magazine World Lightweight Championship by becoming the first man to stop Cuban great Joel Casamayor on September 13, 2008.

“Juan Diaz is a talented young fighter with a bright future,” said Marquez. “But this is still my time and I am not about to let Diaz take my belt away from me.”

Just nine years old when Marquez made his pro debut, 25-year old Juan Diaz (34-1, 17 KO’s) has roared through the pro ranks during his eight-year career and built a stellar reputation as one of the fight game’s most exciting young stars. The Former Three-Time World Lightweight Champion defended his crown seven times, beating the likes of fellow World Champions Acelino Freitas and Julio Diaz along the way. In his last bout in September of 2008, “The Baby Bull” thrilled his hometown fans at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas with a dominant 12 round decision win over Australian warrior Michael Katsidis.

“Juan Manuel is one of the greats in the game and it’s an honor to fight him, but I will be victorious on February 28th,” said Diaz.

A site for Marquez vs. Diaz will be announced shortly. For more information please visit :: Golden Boy Promotions Inc. ::.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

marquez look good at 135 even though he go lucky

just cant chose now

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great fight,great styles.Love it!I'll go with Marquez down the stretch but I see Diaz landing enough to possibly cut em up...but not stun him.Marquez buy decision 3 or 4 points?Diaz has a thick beard,see him hanging in there.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RozzySean View Post
    And Nate Campbell is left out in the cold fighting Ali Funeka. There is no justice.
    You’re absolutely right but I still like to see JMM vs. Juan Diaz, IMO it would be a more entertaining fight according to their styles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonito Donaire View Post
    JMM will pick Juan Diaz apart.
    I don’t know why but I see an upset here, maybe ‘cause I’m a Pac fan and Juan is one of my fav. He could outwork JMM despite Dinamita is an excellent counterpuncher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a risky and dangerous fight for JMM. Upset brewing in this one. Baby Bull Diaz will show up and prove he's top notch. It'll be tough but this might signal the tip of the iceburg and the decline of JMM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, I believe it is. This is one tough fight for both JMM and the Baby Bull, and equally taxing. I see it a very close one with Marquez finding a way to win despite, early difficulties. Both fighters will pay dearly with risk to their health to hear the final bell. Marquez, UD or late stoppage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it is on the 28-02-2009 and the fight will be held at Toyota centre houston texas usa. for the ibo title. this should be a top fight be my moneys on jmm.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This will be an outstanding fight !

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyBacon View Post
    marquez look good at 135 even though he go lucky

just cant chose now
    How was he lucky ?

Thread Information