Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amir Kahn Opinions & Who Should Be Up Next?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amir Kahn Opinions & Who Should Be Up Next?

Now that Freddie Roach has addressed Khan's defensive flaws, and coached him to box more intelligently, I see no reason why he shouldn't go straight for JMM if the opportunity arises.
    It will definitely be a steep challenge for him, but that's what it should be about. I think there is too much emphasis upon the fear of defeat in boxing. Almost all the greats were beaten at some stage of their career...some more than once. Calzaghe was a rare specimen, and as many are keen to point out, he was protected for too long.
    The Prescott defeat could turn out to be a real blessing. Firstly, it forced Khan to re-consider his rash, gung-ho approach to fighting, and get back to what took him so far in his amateur days. Secondly, it removed the "0" from his record. He no longer has it to protect (and more crucially, nor does Frank Warren).
    So, while Prescott would seem an obvious step along the way (I believe that the re-styled Khan would win easily), I would much rather see a big gamble and a fight with Marquez. Lose to Marquez, fair enough. Lose to Prescott again...and it would look much worse.
    As for last night, credit to Barrera for fighting on. He knew he could take a NC, but chose to fight on. I wonder if the Doc whispered in his ear "Finish the round if you want your pay cheque". Cut or no cut, he was out-gunned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can Khan get on with his career after that fight? The cut made a big difference, the whole fight should of been stopped in the 2nd and been called a no contest.

But i think it looked quite clear what was playing out anyway. Khans size advantages and speed helpin him go in bursts of fast, solid combinations then backing off with his gaurd up high.

I couldnt see Barrera getting into the fight other than tryin to land something to hurt Khan in a 1 off.

It was the size difference that made the difference, the hight and reach meaning Barrera couldnt get close enough, this isnt really his weight though.

I dont think a re-match with Barrera is neccessary but i accept that wasnt really a victory was it? I said before the fight what ever happened Khan should take on Murray and Thaxton. These to me are bigger demons in Khans closet than Prescott is.

And with Roach keeping such fantastic control over Khans concentration i think he is ready for them now. If Khan had a half decent chin hed of fought then ages ago and blown them away easy, but he hasnt, but what he does have now is a water tight defence and this could help him alot.

Even with solid defence your guna get hit sooner or later but hes stuck with his chin theres nothing he can do about it so hes doing all he can with it. And its a big big improvement.

Shit a bit long, all i meant was he should fight the 2 Brits, a re-match with Barrera or Prescott isnt needed right now, unless of course he beats the 2 Brits and it does him no good what so ever then hed prob have to go back over covered ground to right those wrongs
    Last edited by ukansodoff; 03-15-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: it needs it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    I think Khan will want to avenge the Prescott loss , and thats the fight i want to see.
    I agree, he needs to deal with that to take any doubts away that he may be ducking him. I'm pretty sure he can win that fight, with a good gameplan and improvement on defence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been thinkin about this since the fight, and i'm 100% on the fact that Barrera knew exactly what he was doing. If he wanted the fight stopped, it would have ended an NC. End of. He has way way too many rounds of boxing under his belt to not know what he was doing.

I gotta be wondering what the referee wispered in Barrera's ear aswell.

I'm not a big fan of thaxton atall, but i do believe a fight with Murray would also be a cracker. I really like Murray, he'll stalk Kahn for 12 rounds like a cold killer, although I just think he falls short of top class and ships too many punches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Murray would be a good fight but i feel he would not win if lee mcallister stuck to the gameplan he would of beat him, lee is my friend but kahn has faster hands and more composure and would win that fight. Prescott for me proper redemption hes a natural lightweight and if this fight never happens everything kahn does will be tarnished.
    A right hand can take you round the block, A jab round the world.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Barrera nutted Khan and Amir couldnt continue there would have been uproar if Barrera got the decision . They would have called it a NC

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You guys need to forget Prescott.. that wont be happening anytime soon.

Khan will fight Alex Arthur next. Bet on it.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd like to see him up against David Diaz, or if they're gonna go straight for a title, go for Romanov, as he's definitely beatable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Number 1 on his list has to be Breidis Prescott, if he beats him that proves a lot and it bumps him up to that next level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You guys saying that Khan should call out JMM or he might have a chance ETC...are crazy.
    JMM elite counterpunching will deck Khan is 2 if not one.
    Id like to add that JMM doesn't hit you with pillows he hits hard.
    Khan is nowhere near to challenging JMM type opposition.
    Lifes a wheel of fortune and its my turn to spin it. -Tupac Shakur

Hidden Content

XaduBoxer Guest

Rematch with Presscot is top of the list... Amir can also go after feather fisted Juan Diaz and hoped that Juan's pillow punches can't crack his glass jaw... I think Juan Diaz is also softened already by his recent loses to Campbell and JMM...

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amir should fight Prescott again but he wont. They cant risk getting sparked out by him again. Ideally Prescott will take a world title from somewhere and then it'll be a worthwhile risk. If he gets laid out again cest la vie, Prescott was a world champ and the hardest hitting fighter since Earnie Shavers.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fuck all this "world" title bollocks.

Khan still hasn't proved he's the best in Britain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see why he won't fight Murray, I think Khan would tear him apart.. Murrays style is made for Khan. If someone with limited ability (no offence to the guy) can outbox Murray for the first few rounds then Khan would have a field day... although at the same time if Murray does manage to catch him it's night night for Khan.

Although I think Warren thinks he is somewhat above domestic level now, or maybe he just recognises there's more money to be made at the world class level.. he's certainly not doing Khan any favors...

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan and Murray wont fight because that would mean FW and MH working together

I think Khan would beat Murray too. I'd like to see it to be sure though. A young unbeaten hungry guy will make for a better fight than another "nothing to lose/gain" ancient great.

Thread Information