User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Question About Bulking Up.

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Question About Bulking Up.

How much cardio should you actually do ? i usually like to do an hour, about 3 or 4 times a week. But i think thats far too much, so how long and how many days a week should you be doing it ? because obviously i want to try and maintain as trim as possible. While im not affecting my muscle gain.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Question About Bulking Up.

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    How much cardio should you actually do ? i usually like to do an hour, about 3 or 4 times a week. But i think thats far too much, so how long and how many days a week should you be doing it ? because obviously i want to try and maintain as trim as possible. While im not affecting my muscle gain.

Lift heavy take less rest - weights can be quite cardio if you push yourself. How about doing sprint work instead of long cardio sessions?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    If you're doing that much cardio, your carb intake will have to be a little higher.

What's your carb and protein intake like?
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its all about calories in vs calories out. find out what your maintenance line is (how many calories u need to eat to maintain ur weight), then eat more than that and you will gain weight.

Theres no rule for how much cardio u can do. The only problem with too much cardio is that it means you will have to eat more.

BMR calculator
    Nutrition

Calorie counter site:
    FitDay Free Calorie Counter and Diet Journal: Login.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Ice,

Its funny you ask, I wouldn't be an expert on bulking usually, but I packed on a lot of mass on my back and glutes before my last fight.

Wes is right, it is calories in vs. calories out, but at the same time, empty calories are less efficient and cause bloating. If you take in some nice protein rich food its a lot more valuable for growth than sugary or fatty calories.

As regards the cardio issue, its all dependent on the sport your training for. If your simply adding bulk for appearance then you can afford to drop the cardio as it is simply accelerating your already high metabolism.

If your lifting well and maintaining a clean diet you shouldn't pack on fatty tissue really....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When new boxers start talking about 'bulking up", I like to remind them of the great fighters who did not bulk up and concentrated on power punching. The great John L. Sullivan , who was a bare knucle heavyweight champion for over 7 years was at his best fighting weight at 190. He defended his title against Jake Kilrain in a fight that lasted 75 rounds over two hours and fifteen minutes. Jack Dempsey was a small guy by todays standards. The "Manassa Mauler" was a power puncher. In his 70's two young criminals decided to mug him..he threw two punches and knocked both of them out. In 1919 Dempsey, who stood 6 feet and weighted 180 lbs, challenged for the heavy weight title held by Jess Willard, who stood 6'6" and weighted 245 lbs of muscle. In one round, Dempsey knocked Willard down 7 times. In the fight, Dempsey hit so hard that he broke Willards Jaw, cheek bone, and several ribs. Willard collapsed in his corner between the 3rd and 4th round. Bob Fitzsimmons was called a 'fighting machine on stilts' because he stood 6" tall with long legs and lanky frame and weighted less than 170 lbs. He held heavyweight, middleweight and lightweight crowns and was known as a vicious hitter. Rocky Marciano at 190 lbs was known as the hardes right-hand punch ever seen. People think they can hit because they have big muscles..it's not true. My advice is to take the time you spend on weights and concentrate on power punching. In a fight---bet on the fighter, not the muscle man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with what grey said no amount of muscle can make up for a poor technique, but to be honest it is usually callories whats the problem, take your protein 20gram servings will do with a hi gi carb 5-6 times a day (not huge meals).
    You have your carbs to get through the day burning energy, restocking glycogen, then your protein should go towards muscle building (if your in an anabolic state and the protein is complete) after that if your still not tipping the scales as much as youd like just increase calories (good calories) and thats everything covered (if your still not bulking up then i would assume its a training issue), a lot of people say you must have calorie excess to build mass or ''bulk up'' but i dont think this is entirely true, i think you just feel like if the scales have moved and the added fat that makes you look bulky under clothes is achieved then you feel like your adding more muscle mass than when trying to build muscle and stay the same bodyfat, even if this was true surely the ''cutting'' stage afterwards would have negative effects on maintaining or building the muscle youve just bulked to gain? if not then why not just try to maintain a level calorie intake and stay trim and build mass at the same time? it worked better for me i believe because i could consistently worry about building muscle more than losing fat, and this seems like a better idea for a boxer so your not changing weight drastically in a cycle, im not sure if this would effect you but i know when i add 10lbs in 2 week i dont feel quite as nimble as i did before and have to spend time sorting this out before i can get bak to where i was at, kind of blabbed on but yeh nothing to do and missus is at work

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WayneFlint View Post
    I agree with what grey said no amount of muscle can make up for a poor technique, but to be honest it is usually callories whats the problem, take your protein 20gram servings will do with a hi gi carb 5-6 times a day (not huge meals).
    You have your carbs to get through the day burning energy, restocking glycogen, then your protein should go towards muscle building (if your in an anabolic state and the protein is complete) after that if your still not tipping the scales as much as youd like just increase calories (good calories) and thats everything covered (if your still not bulking up then i would assume its a training issue), a lot of people say you must have calorie excess to build mass or ''bulk up'' but i dont think this is entirely true, i think you just feel like if the scales have moved and the added fat that makes you look bulky under clothes is achieved then you feel like your adding more muscle mass than when trying to build muscle and stay the same bodyfat, even if this was true surely the ''cutting'' stage afterwards would have negative effects on maintaining or building the muscle youve just bulked to gain? if not then why not just try to maintain a level calorie intake and stay trim and build mass at the same time? it worked better for me i believe because i could consistently worry about building muscle more than losing fat, and this seems like a better idea for a boxer so your not changing weight drastically in a cycle, im not sure if this would effect you but i know when i add 10lbs in 2 week i dont feel quite as nimble as i did before and have to spend time sorting this out before i can get bak to where i was at, kind of blabbed on but yeh nothing to do and missus is at work
    By the way i don't do boxing anymore haven't for awhile, this is purely just for the look. Since i've posted this i've done pretty well with the bulking so thanks for the advice.

Thread Information